cfp.exe & cmdagent.exe hammering my PC performance

Hi all. First post here so apologies if I’m in the wrong place.

I have very recently installed Comodo Firewall (v5.3.181415.1237) and I have to say it is hammering the speed of my PC to the point where if I can’t resolve it I will have to uninstall it. It’s not even the CPU usage (though that can spike) so much as it is the extraordinary prolific file accessing that it does.

Using filemon I can see that cfp.exe is relentless and the noise of my HDD being accessed rarely subsides.

Surely this can not be the proper way that Comodo firewall usually operates???

I’m on WinXP (sp3) on a 2Gb RAM Dual core 2.61Ghz Athlon.

I have the firewall on “Safe mode” with Defence+ on “Clean PC Mode”. Are there any default settings that can be de-selected without overly compromising the security of my computer?

Thanks in advance.

I take it no-one has figured out how to stop these processes from grinding a PC to a halt then :embarassed:

Hey and warm welcome to comodo forums!

I would appreciate if you could show us your firewall/d+ logs (CIS → firewall/d+ → view firewall/d+ events)

I would also like to know what you had for security program before Comodo firewall. What do use for AV?

Regards,
Valentin N

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

Both of the logs screens say

“There are no items to show.”

And before Komodo I was just using the regular windows firewall. I also use avast as the virus checker.

Try adding the CIS installation folders to the exclusions of Avast.

DH’s computer is XP Pro with 4GB RAM. Current version of Comodo CIS is 5.4.189822.1355. I’m unsure when the problem first started…possibly as long ago as 6 months. DH has complained periodically about his PC freezing and having to hit the reset button.

During the last 2 months I have tracked the “freezing” down to cmdagent.exe consuming 30-97% of CPU (opening TaskMan and looking at processes sorted by CPU usage). Occastionally I will see cmdagent.exe or cfp.exe consuming high amounts of RAM–but usually it is the CPU usage not RAM that I see.

Eventually the hogging stops, but it is only temporary–one never knows what will start it off again. It could be starting MS Outlook 2007 to check his email, it could be going to the start button/programs/games/ and no games showing because cmdagent is hogging the CPU again. Time in between hogging instances vary from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Not sure what is going on but please start with the following basic.

May be left overs of previously installed security programs are in the way. Try using removal tools for those programs. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: ESET Knowledgebase .

Otherwise do a Google search with terms “removal tool” and * name of product or vendor*.

Does DH computer have Avast AV installed? Then also take my previous advice in consideration.

I have only had Comodo installed on that system since 2007. I don’t remember what was installed prior to that time. Will have to see if I can either figure it out or remember.

Do I need to use the Comodo removal tool and remove Comodo before updates or new versions are installed? If so, why? The program doesn’t pop up a message saying “New updates are available uninstall previous version before installing new updates” NOR does it say “New version is available, please uninstall old version before installing the new version.”

Thanks!

You don’t need to use the removal tool when updating using the updater.

It is a tool that can be used when doing a clean install of when the uninstalling is not working. Sometimes a clean install can fix things.

hi I’m having the same problem with cmdagent.exe a huge cpu usage! when i was using windows xp and still having the same problem after installing windows 7. Please help thank you :cry:

Comodo Internet Security premium
Prodect Version: 5.4.189822.1355
Virus Signature Database Version: 9180

system spec:
windows 7 Ultimate
2.4 Ghz
2.00 GB ram
500 GB HHD.

How much RAM is cmdagent.exe using? Is that constant or only during updating the AV?

I keep seeing these CPU usage issues with cmdagent.exe and most are related to WIN XP.

Back in Oct., 2010 when I was running Ver. 5 on my XP installation, I was having major problems in the same area and it was related to Defense+ cloud scanning: https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t62959.0.html.

I would suggest temporarily turning off cloud scanning and see if that stops the cmdagent.exe CPU activity. If it does, then at least you know cloud scanning is the culprit.

Funny that I am running Comodo ver 5. firewall, Defense+ Proactive, and Sandboxing with no performance issues on my WIN 7 x64 installation.