CFP 3.0.10.238 BETA General Feedback/Impressions (Not for Bug Reports)[CLOSED]

predefined port ranges are still missing port 993 in SMTP/pop ports…
I know this is imaps, but it IS used by mail clients.
So please include this port into predefined setup.

This version works perfectly so far (I had a few BSODs with one of the previous betas). I used the “standard” and not the “advanced” option in the installer. I also like the way programs (e.g. p2p) get forwarded (no more rule making (:LOV) ). Looks very promising. Thanks for your hard work! :■■■■

Just installed the latest beta. Very little fanfare with the installation (which is a GOOD thing). I like the wizard, I like the choices offered in the wizard, and maybe most importantly for Average Joe Computer User, the wording in the wizard seems easy enough to understand. If AJCU just chooses the defaults (which is what I did) he/she should be fine. The install seemed to go along with many fewer choices to make on popups (also a good thing). I am running it on my XP. I think this version is good (and easy) enough to put on my wife’s Vista machine upstairs. Now, I tell all of you, if my “this thing has too many buttons” wife approves of the beta firewall it is ready for primetime!! LOL.

Nice job!

(:KWL) :■■■■

Apologies all, I am not able to find these being actively tracked or discussed in the requested features, A few GUI suggestions so the product gets more polished before the first RC

Summary - The traffic section

The traffic section does not display the relative % distribution of both incoming and outgoing and connections. A spike graph display option would also be good.

Summary –> View Active Connections Or Firewall → View Active Connections ===============================================================
The Active Connections popup doe not have a lock pane option or similar function, so if the connections are continuously being updated, the window constantly keeps getting reset and user is unable to close a connection or monitor a particular connection.

Logging & Tracking -

Move the Firewall - ‘View Firewall Events’ & Firewall - ‘View Defense events’ and also ‘View Active Connections’ to a separate top level section called Logging?

Summary –> Network Defense (GUI suggestion)

Provide link on blocked intrusion attempts to directly open Firewall - ‘View Firewall Events’

Just installed it and it is working very nice. It seems the bugs have been fixed. The only issue is a little slower startup but it’s ok. :slight_smile:

morning folks. been using 2.4 for about a year. worked like a charm. easy to install and configure. just installed latest beta and believe i’ve set up correctly. in pro defence i’ve got 13 files and not sure what to do with them. tks for any help. would be great if a video was posted for installs. tks again. frank.

Just installed on my Vista and XP systems. Working very nicely, thank you. Does anybody know when the final release will be coming? Hope it will contain more Themes.

Seeing as this is (supposted to be) the last BETA I’d say we could see the final release somewhere in January if we’re lucky!
But more likely it’ll be in February, as there’s gonna be some RC’s.
And I’ve heard it might include customized skins.

Ragwing

Ah, thanks for the info, Ragwing.

LOL

We will eagerly await the response :slight_smile:

Melih

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i feel cpf 3 is more of a new product than an improved one.

I will try explain in pictures too.

Main reason. The simple mode is now too simple and the advanced mode is too advanced for many.
What is needed? A classic mode right in between. What is this classic mode? Same old protection 2.4 offered. Please bring back the good old 2.4 protection without removing what is already made. I actually installed virtual pc and put xp in it just so i can see how cpf 3 has changed since 2.4. Not much which i mean in a good way because almost every feature was brought from 2.4 but 1 or 2. I will list the differences.

1. Obviously the interface. (System info box removed and replaced with tip of the day). Nothing wrong there.

2. Scan for known applications removed. (Nothing wrong as it is not needed anymore).

3. Obviously the interface again under security. (Changed and every setting maintained but component monitor which is now defence+).

4. Define a new trusted network removed. (Nothing wrong as it is now automated as an alert).

5. Misc settings in 2.4 were either removed or moved.

6. In attack detection “Block all outgoing connections while booting” was removed. (??? Not sure why).

7. Here comes the big one which made 2.4 so much different from 3.0. “Application Behaviour Analysis” was killed completely. The protection it offered is still there but moved to the hips. If the protection still atleast lived (my classic mode idea), i couldn’t care less if it was in the gui. I am sure many of the protections were moved to the hips but the hips is too advanced. So can you create a mode where it sets the hips on but only settings that were in 2.4 pretty please :D.

I also hope egemen comes and explains why the features listed above were changed/removed (except interface changes ofcourse).

Here i will show pics of how it changed.

http://i23.tinypic.com/2urm802.jpg

VS

http://i24.tinypic.com/28w1307.jpg

http://i22.tinypic.com/29fsd47.jpg

VS

http://i22.tinypic.com/30izzvp.jpg

Extras…

http://i20.tinypic.com/15q43eo.jpg

http://i21.tinypic.com/29yqvbd.jpg

http://i24.tinypic.com/u7rt1.jpg

i don’t really get it… you say the current def+ is too advanced, but the old comp monitor wasn’t… while both (imho) are equally opaque to the novice user… how was 2.4 intrinsically easier to understand than 3.0 is now?

See the first 2 pics. You see how defence+ now took over the application behaviour analysis area? I want a mode where it only uses the protection offered in 2.4. The mode would just untick some settings in the hips to make the protection the same as 2.4. The simple mode is just the firewall in 2.4 alone without behaviour analysis. And the advanced is everything in 2.4 plus even more protection. I feel the protection in 2.4 is perfect. Not sure what others think though. Or even better make multiple modes which the community seems to use most.

This should be put in impressions/feedback or developer may not see it.

I agree with all of them. Makes everything easier. The logging and tracking issue may have to do with what the person prefers.

I like the feature of going into Installation Mode when you install a program then being able to switch back to the previous mode when the install is done.

jasper

THis was posted on Wilders after mentioning that CFP blocked all keylogger attempts with AKLT 2.5

Al

The firewall logs should save more information:

A) The direction of the connection (1 bit)

B) The direction of the packet (1 bit)

C) The action (currently is only Allowed/Blocked): (3 bits)
Allowed
Blocked by Global Rule
Blocked by Protocol Analysis
Blocked (Fragmented)
Blocked (Invalid Checksum)
Blocked by Application Rule

D) The ICMP message (Type and Code)

Hi Team and thanks again for all the amazing work that’s been happening on the worlds best firewall.

ALWAYS ON TOP?

I’d like to make a feature request which is, I think, fairly easy to implement and should enhance the usability of CFP, especially for less computer literate users. I apologise if it’s already possible and I’m just an idiot, but here it is…

It’d be great to have an “Always On Top” option for the Alert Pop-ups. In the default configuration, Defense+'s Learning mode Balloon messages pop up directly over the buttons on Alert windows.

It is possible to simply move the Alert window so that alerts appear above the Balloon popups, but I think it’s neater to force all alert windows to appear on Top.

I encourage all my friends to use a good firewall, and harden the security of their machines, and of course, I’d like to see everyone using CFP without having to use it in “off mode”. Most average users seem to need something that “Just Works”, without them having to change anything even a little bit! ;o)

Hey Folks

I don’t know if this is a bug or what, but it was the same for me in 3.0.9.229 as it is in the attached 3.0.10.238 screenshot.
I have no buttons to get into the configuration areas, and no matter whether I’m in maximized window or not, it’s the same thing. I thought with the newer Beta that I would at last be able to get the config buttons back but no luck.
I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled a few times in Safe Mode but this GUI issue remains every time and I’ve tried everything short of decompiling it and changing the sizing of things…

Any suggestions?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Your not supposed to install it in safemode. Messes with the files. Also is your DPI 120?