CCAV Sandbox and admin privileges.

Hi,

Could someone explain to me how CCAV is supposed to work when trying to sandbox applications that run with administrator privileges?

I’m asking because I ran into the following scenario:

[ol]- I was interested if the CCAV sandbox would block anything special like screengrabing and keylogging etc so I downloaded SpyShelter test tool and ran it.

• CCAV alerted about the file, the AV part that is, and I chose to ignore.
  • CCAV asked me what I wanted to do with the file, I answered to run it in the sandbox.
  • I got a UAC alert, which I said Yes to.
  • CCAV again asked me what I wanted to do with the file, I answered to run it in the sandbox.
  • The file started outside of the sandbox.[/ol]

So my questions are really:

• Why wasn’t the application sandboxed?
  • If CCAV can’t sandbox files run as administrator, why even allow them to run in the first place if I choose to sandbox it? If it can’t sandbox it, then it should display an error message and ask me if I would like to run it outside of the sandbox or block it from running.
  • If it simply runs admin programs outside of the sandbox, isn’t CCAV then simply bypassed by malware simply by running itself as admin?

Edit:
I just noticed, if I simply double-click the AntiTest.exe application and answer “Run in Sandbox” → UAC Yes → “Run in Sandbox” then it runs outside of the sandbox, but if I right-click AntiTest.exe and click COMODO Cloud Antivirus > Run in COMODO Cloud Antivirus Sandbox → UAC Yes then it runs in the sandbox… What’s the reason for this difference?

Regards,
Sanya IV Litvyak

Good point, I have just added a wish/poll here https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-ccav/how-ccav-deals-with-programs-requiring-privilege-elevation-t118953.0.html

Actually I think this is a bug

Sandbox set to Always sandbox untrusted files > Sandboxes file
Sandbox set to Always ask for untrusted files > Doesn’t sandbox when answer “Run in Sandbox”

I’ll make a bug report.
Bug report: https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-ccav/ccav-ask-for-untrusted-doesnt-properly-sandbox-files-t118954.0.html;msg855292#msg855292

Same happens to me, With CCAV sandbox configured to Ask for untrusted applications.

Note; if the sandbox is configured to Sandbox all untrusted applications then the AntiTest.exe was sandboxed.

Ah, OK, then.
By the way, how CCAV deals with AntiTest.exe ?
I remember CIS got some problems with the screenshot test

AntiTest.exe Running in Comodo Cloud Antivirus v1.10.413855.478 Sandbox

Keylogging: Cannot set keyboard hook (Safe :-TU)
Screenshot: Test1a → Test5a and Test1b → Test5b, Cannot draw desktop screenshot (Safe :-TU)
Clipboard Monitoring: Cannot monitor clipboard changes Error Code=5 (Window)
[b] (Safe :-TU)

System Protection[/b]
Registry acces test 1: not blocked by the protection (Safe sandboxed :-TU)
Registry acces test 2: not blocked by the protection (Safe sandboxed :-TU)
Writing file to startup folder test: your system did not pass this test.
File was copied successfully to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\TestConApp.exe
(Note: no file was found att the stated location) (Safe sandboxed :-TU)

Service registering test: your system did not pas this test. (Error windows Make sure that the service is registerd) (Safe :-TU)

Driver registering test: (unavailable)
Physical memory access test 1: (winxp32bit unavailable)
Physical memory access test 2: (winxp32bit unavailable)

Webcam Capture: screen is black (I dont have a webcam)
Sound Record: Dont have a mic

!ot!
AntiTest.exe Running in Comodo Internet Security v10.0.1.6209 Sandbox (Default settings for sandbox)

Keylogging: Cannot set keyboard hook (Safe :-TU)

Screenshot: Test1a → Test5a and Test1b → Test5b (Failed :-TD)
Clipboard Monitoring: clipboard content was changed (Failed :-TD)
[b]

System Protection[/b]
Registry acces test 1: not blocked by the protection (Safe sandboxed :-TU)
Registry acces test 2: not blocked by the protection (Safe sandboxed :-TU)
Writing file to startup folder test: your system did not pass this test.
File was copied successfully to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\TestConApp.exe
(Note: no file was found att the stated location) (Safe sandboxed :-TU)

Service registering test: your system did not pas this test. (Error windows Make sure that the service is registerd) (Safe :-TU)

Driver registering test: (unavailable)
Physical memory access test 1: (winxp32bit unavailable)
Physical memory access test 2: (winxp32bit unavailable)

Webcam Capture: screen is black (I dont have a webcam)
Sound Record: Dont have a mic

• KeyLogging - Couldn’t set hook (Pass)
  • Webcam - I don’t have a webcam so I don’t know, it showed a black screen though without any error so it could either be pass or fail
  • Screenshot - All pass
  • Clipbord monitoring - “Cannot monitor clipboard changed Error code=5” (Pass)
  • System Protection - Reg1, Reg2, Write: Said not pass but did pass (sandboxed afterall) Service: Passed
  • Sound record - Failed

Edit: So pretty much the same result as BlueTesta, though I also double-checked the registry keys and nothing had changed in them.

Thanks guys, great results indeed :slight_smile: