Can't run Black Ops

I wanted to try out the new version of Comodo so I installed the Firewall and Defense+ on my computer. However, I am no longer able to play Call of Duty: Black Ops. Both Steam and the black ops executable are in trusted files for Defense+ and the firewall. I get no messages, when I hit launch it appears to be launching and the process is started, but after a second the process exits and the game does not load. My firewall and defense+ are both on training mode, game mode was enabled, everything else is default settings. My other security programs are Avast! and Threatfire. Thank you for your help.

EDIT: To add information, Steam is not able to launch any games.

Overkill… Ditch Threatfire, then try again…
You have Behavior Blocker and HIPS running at the same time? not good at all

Behavior blockers and HIPS programs don’t conflict. I am using Comodo with Threatfire with no problems. Kaspersky has a HIPS and a behavior blocker built in. A moderator on PC tools forums is using Comodo firewall with threatfire with no problems.

My mistake, I stand corrected, thanks! :-TU

But doesn’t avast have a behavior shield? (a really crummy one at that) Try disabling that shield in avast then try again. Also try disabling game mode on comodo so we can see if any alerts come up which may be conflicting with the game. I’m pretty sure comodo automatically denies any defense plus events when in game mode.

Game Mode – Switches CIS 2011 to Game Mode to enable you to play your games without any interruptions from various alerts in your computer. The operations that can interfere with users’ gaming experience are either suppressed or postponed.

In game mode:

Defense+/Firewall alerts are suppressed as if they are in training mode;

AV database updates and scheduled scans are postponed until the gaming is over;

Automatic isolation of unknown applications and real-time virus detection are still functional.

Deactivate Game Mode to resume alerts and scheduled scans.

http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-155-1147-Starting-Comodo-Internet-Security.html

Then comodo could be isolating steam. The whole folder of both black ops and steam. Or they might try to access something that they need to run and that be isolated by comodo which makes part of steam or black ops unable to run and therefor the whole game is not able to run.

Thanks for the help anyone.

But doesn't avast have a behavior shield? (a really crummy one at that) Try disabling that shield in avast then try again. Also try disabling game mode on comodo so we can see if any alerts come up which may be conflicting with the game. I'm pretty sure comodo automatically denies any defense plus events when in game mode.

I tried disabling the Avast behavior shield and turned off game mode and set firewall and defense+ to safe mode. Same problem, no alerts but no games will run.

Then comodo could be isolating steam. The whole folder of both black ops and steam. Or they might try to access something that they need to run and that be isolated by comodo which makes part of steam or black ops unable to run and therefor the whole game is not able to run.

How do I add an entire folder to a trusted list?

By the way, there are no untrusted, unrecognized, or sandboxed files. Everything is either trusted by default or added to the trusted list by me. Also, Steam is not running on my primary hard drive, but Comodo is. I have a 60GB SSD for my OS and central applications and a 500GB HDD for other things. Could this be part of the problem?

That could be the source of your problem. Steam being on another drive to the registry doesn’t sound like a happy ending. If the letter of your drive changes, then the registry is rendered useless and thus you cannot use the program if it requires use of the registry. Also, to add a whole folder to the trusted list, you just browse to the folder and add that to the trusted list.

Well the registry shouldn’t be affected, I did a clean install and put Steam on the new drive to begin with. It was never moved.

µ2 have you solved this problem? I have same now with Comodo Firewall 5.0.163652.1142. Strange thing is I can run World of Warcraft, but it does not use Windows Registry that much (I just copied old WoW directory to new harddrive and it works).

Could this be registry related problem?

And btw, I have same programs: Comodo, Avast and Threatfire.

Thank you,

RaakaReiska

Is your other drive and external or internal drive? CIS does not see external devices as safe. It won’t remember rules after a reboot of Windows (or log off).

I had Windows 7 32-bit with Comodo Firewall 3 + Avast 4.8. Black Ops + Medal of Honor + World of Warcraft worked without problems. Old harddisk was partitioned in C-drive for OS + Applications and D-drive for Games.

Then I installed new harddrive (SSD, also C-drive for OS + Apps and D-drive for Games) and installed Windows 7 64-bit + Comodo Firewall 5 + Avast 5.0 + Threatfire. MoH and WoW worked but Black Ops wouldn’t start. BlackOpsMP.exe loaded to memory for few seconds and then disappeared.

I run Process Monitor while starting Black Ops and when I checked, I couldn’t see anything ACCESS DENIED to Steam.exe or BlackOpsMP.exe.

I powered off my modem and removed Comodo Firewall 5 and turned Windows 7 firewall on and powered on my modem. After that Black Ops works.

Try the workarounds in App. is not working correctly, but does not seem to be s/boxed. What to do? [v5] and see if they fix it for you or not.

Sure thing, I try after Christmas. Hopefully it works fingers crossed

Keep us posted/

I had the same thing with BF Bad Company 2. The files were trusted but it wouldnt boot. just load into mem en then exists

I had to set the D+ and FW in training mode and boot the game up until the point were you would be logged in and personal data/stats and sorts were loaded.
Exit the game and set D+ and FW back to previous setting.

Rules were created to the specific requests the game did.
I do not know why making the exe’s trusted is not enough, but something else was needed to be able to run the game