Can You Load CIS to Scan on Demand ONLY?

I am running a current Dell Intel dual-core XP SP3 with 2 gigs of ram. My protection includes AVAST, WinPatrol, SBS&D and Spyware Blaster. I’ve done numerous scans – on-line and off – and as far as I know, I have a clean machine. I run Ccleaner and Adware frequently. I scan with BitDefender occasionally.

HOWEVER, I am very impressed with the scanning/removal capabilities of CIS and would like to install it and run it (initially) as an additional detection/removal tool.

Is it possible to do a custom installation so that CIS will only serve as a scan/removal tool?

Thanks,

Louis

Install it with the AV only, and later disable the realtime scanner… That should do it (:NRD)

Xan

why av only? he can install the complete CIS and disable the real time scanning… (ok, uninstall your current firewall first!..)

you will be good protected! :wink:

Thanks Xan and Darth Vader,

Xan suggests installing the AV only and then disabling the real time scanning.

Darth suggests installing the entire CIS program and then disable only the real time scanning. Darth also suggests uninstalling my current firewall. Again, I’m running AVAST, SBS&D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Terminator (with real time protection) and WinPatrol. I don’t believe that any of these qualify as “firewalls” per se. Are these all compatible with CIS?

My current set of protection does appear to be doing the job.

What do you think? Should I dump some elements of my present protection and move into CIS?

Louis

• you can’t run 2 firewalls at the same time, so you have to uninstall your current firewall if you want to run CIS firewall…

• You can run 2 av’s at the same time (avast and cavs) if you disable real-time scanning of cavs… but I am myself just run cavs.

• You can ditch spyware terminator and winpatrol, because defense + can do just as what those programs do and even more…

• replace spyware terminator and winpatrol with superantispyware free and malware bytes free, use these as additonal on-demand scanners.

• you can add also other on-demand scanners as a-squared free edition (recommended) and pc tools spyware doctor (runs many many background services and other stuff…)

• you can run online- on demand scanners, like cavs web scanner! if you do this, you do not have to download CIS with antivirus and disable real time scanning, because you can use the webscanner as on-demand!

hope this helps you.

Darth, my responses and comments are bold. I appreciate your advice.

• you can’t run 2 firewalls at the same time, so you have to uninstall your current firewall if you want to run CIS firewall…

• You can run 2 av’s at the same time (avast and cavs) if you disable real-time scanning of cavs… but I am myself just run cavs. I REALLY like everything about AVAST. I hate to let it go. It updates automatically and seems very thorough and professional.

• You can ditch spyware terminator and winpatrol, because defense + can do just as what those programs do and even more… Understood.

• replace spyware terminator and winpatrol with superantispyware free [I use at least 1/week.] and malware bytes free [I’ll try it.], use these as additonal on-demand scanners.

• you can add also other on-demand scanners as a-squared free edition (recommended) and pc tools spyware doctor (runs many many background services and other stuff…) [I’ve heard good things about that program.] I used A-squared for awhile, but it doesn’t get the rave reviews that others do. I dumped it.

• you can run online- on demand scanners, like cavs web scanner! Does CAVS on-line web scanner also REMOVE an infection? if you do this, you do not have to download CIS with antivirus and disable real time scanning, because you can use the webscanner as on-demand!

Does the installed CAVS also REMOVE infections? I assume so. That’s important to me. Simply identifying them isn’t enough.

hope this helps you. [VERY much. I’m very impressed by Comodo. Thanks.]

Here’s my view on it, but let me first teach you how to quote :slight_smile:

it’s pretty easy, if you for example want to quote this : Darth, my responses and comments are bold. I appreciate your advice.

you type [quote%]Darth, my responses and comments are bold. I appreciate your advice.[/quote%] without %

So you should type it like this

<blockquote>Darth, my responses and comments are bold.  I appreciate your advice.</blockquote>

which gives you this

Darth, my responses and comments are bold. I appreciate your advice.

:slight_smile:

Uninstall : SB S&D, Spyware Terminator and Winpatrol.
Install : CIS, install the complete suite
When done installing, it will ask you to reboot, don’t reboot just yet, but open the program and disable the realtime scanner, then reboot

This way, you have CIS as a separate scanner and you can keep AvAsT

Xan

Thanks for the education, Darth.

Louis

BTW, last night I downloaded, installed, and ran MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware. After 2 hours of scanning over 200,000 files it found one (1) Adware “infection” that was NOT discovered by Ad-aware, SuperAntispyware, Spyware Terminator, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Seach and Destroy, Bit Defender, AVAST and Ewido (on-line scanner). I use them all regularly.

I’m impressed. (:CLP)

you are welcome! Anytime! (:WIN)

ooh yeah, do not forget to thank XAN too! He gave good advise how to install CIS and disable real time scanning.

Have a nice day!

Xan,

Darth reminded me to thank you. THANK YOU! :■■■■

Louis

No problem, you might want to add A-squared to your on-demand scanners to as it’s an impressing product,

could you post all the security software you’re using at the moment so I can take a look at it again :slight_smile:

Xan