Can this be a sollution for online gaming????

I’ll try to make a suggestion that could solve the problem with online gaming applications.
Please add an option like “Intelligent learning mode” or “Automatic learning mode”.

How should work:

1. In this mode CPF should add all programs and their components that are lanched in “Allow” permission.And for these applications should be also activated, by default, the features “Allow invisible connection attemps” and “Skip advanced security checks”

2. A popup must ask confirmation by the user to let CPF go in “Intelligent learning mode” for security reasons.

3. The user should choose for how much time CPF should be in this mode ( a time from a minimum of 1 minute to maximum of 5 minutes)

4. In this mode pop-ups must be disabled because of #1

5. The line of the application and the components that are added as allowed by this feature should be colored (maybe in pink) to let user check them afterwards

6. Maybe integrate this on the shell of the explorer to make our life easier ;D

With this the great headache that cose the games will be permanently resolved.

ps. What do you think of this idea? Could it be realised? Will it help a bit or is it a stupid suggestion? If not do you have any idea on how to improove it?

This is exactly what I’d need. Except for the timer bit…

I’m sure this would solve most problems with freezes when an online game launches and gets blocked by CPF. :slight_smile:

The timer is needed for security reasons. I think that 5 minutes is more than enough for CPF to learn and add to “allow” all the components of the game. :wink:

And since they will be allready self configured we will not have to worry about them anymore! ;D

:wink: I myself use or should say have used a product called sandboxie. I mentioned it in a previous thread and have seen it mentioned in a thread by someone else.

This app or something like it would be ideal for the learning process of cpf for potentially suspect programs. Possibly a manual button for the user to click and everything from then on would be sandboxed untill cpf says everything is all right (timed?) or the user manually turns it off. ???

My suggestion has nothing to do with sandbox applications. If a user knows that a game is safe to use why should “sandbox” it?

I don’t see any reason for having this option on until the user disables it. If CPF has learned all that is to learn about a game why we should compromise the security of our system by leaving it on?

You are right if the game or what ever is known to be good or safe then sandboxing would not be necessary but a option such as this would be of benefit for something that is not known wether a new game that has just been downloaded or something else that the user might not be sure of.

Not sure if I said that the best way but it’s as good as this old man can come up with at the moment.

I agree on this. But I think that “sandbox” features must not be implemented on the firewall. Maybe on a separate sandbox program that comodo will (?) lanch in the future. I’ll hate to see cpf become something like Norton Personal Firewall. It used to be good in the past but now is a resource eater

I haven’t used nortons in a long time (zonealarm) and your right they are resourse hogs. I never liked the pro version of zonealarm just because it tried to do to much.

Yo!
First I like to say; McAfee has this mode.

Next…
My take on this idea; Great idea. They’re good, but bad at the same time.
I think this will make CPF acting like a 2 headed snake!

Example:
#. Ragnarok Online, they got nProtect (http://www.nprotect.com) to protect gamers from KeyLogger and things… with your idea, gamers can play at the comfort feel they want it to.
CPF won’t block a thing or two, the game wil play like a butter on a hot plate.

#. On the other hand, games like World of Warcraft, where they execute any MOD(S) (and updater) inside the game; tho’ in this “mode” we don’t get the “let’s ■■■■’em’off-pop-up-thing”, still… this MOD(S) may contains malicious script like pass stealer. Since this mode will let CPF blindly allowing the game, soon enough you’ll find yourself get banned for “miss-using an account-a la Blizzard Entertainment”.
…my friend had this tragedy with McAfee “Gaming Mode”.

How come this happend? …maybe we need a word or two from CPF Dev’s or Rep’s about what is a “Dynamic-Tunneling” or “HTTP Tunneling” connection.
You may search the word on Google, and soon enough you know why I don’t really trust any Firewall I have implemented for the past years… …that’s including CPF!

…Egemen has his word about this “type” of connection (I’m using it right now);

Link: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,193.msg5505.html#msg5505

You see, if they can make it dynamic, why stop at the static port, or domain, or the real server?
Why don’t they spoof-out the real ip is? …and make them appear as localhost, or us.realmlist.blizzard.com.

If any online game has additional protection like many Korean Online Game does, then this idea can have a GO!
…either way, we still need to validating any traffic we generated on our own. Firewall with it’s technology won’t make you save. …it’s just some strange wind or something that make you “feel” that way. …it’s US! The Brainware; who need to learn more. …sad thing, but true.

Let’s make a “DING!” and kill those POP(S)!
Link: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,354.msg6205.html#msg6205

Exactly for the problems you describe I suggested a timer and the option to color the rules that are created by this.

Norto also has something like this. But the great difference is the timer.

ps. about your request of “ALT+R”. How it will help protecting you if you can’t see the pop-up since it doesn’t appear because of the game? Even with this you will let a mod run malicius scripts. Am I wrong?

The timer isn’t gonna help you un-freeze games like Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft, PangYa!, Lineage II, etc…
This games has they’re own behaviours.
Such as, Counter-Strike will try to constant-update they’re server list, an occasionaly post your high-ranked score to the “Hall of Fame”. They’re goes to Need for Speed series too.
This behaviours happends to World of Warcraft, and other online games.

Example:
Games like Ragnarok Online (Korean Version) sometimes will send a packet or two occasionaly to test the client. …either for checking if it’s running a BOT or Keylogger and stuff… …randomly time generated.
When this packet or activity happends, …you’ll now what’s coming at you.
And if you happend to play World of Warcraft too, there’s a background task generated by wow.exe to update the game silently. …you won’t see it coming. Because whenever you switch back to desktop, the proccess’s just gone! But it’s there! …spooky, isn’t it?

*. My interest is to see the POP-UP, get’s replace with an additional icon just like Yahoo! Messenger does.
*. ALT+A - ALT+D - ALT+R, they’re just something to be add-up.