Bytes in/out HELP

Hi there,

I’ve been using Windows firewall for years and decided I’d upgrade to something more recognised. Have been going through imputing the rules etc I want.

I noticed when I connected to the internet net through firefox, I’ll leave tabs open which are seemingly doing nothing, yet when I check my active connections it says I have about 30+ (sometimes a lot more when I only have about 5-10 tabs open) connections and half of them have got bytes coming in and also bytes going out? Am I sending out data without me knowing?

Also, my housemate set up an FTP server for me, I can get projects off him while I’m away so I can work on them. Similar thing is happening. I’ve set up my Comodo firewall to have no outgoing connections at all. I’m not uploading to the FTP, I’m just downloading files. Some of the folders can get fairly large due to holding raw images etc. Anyway when I’m downloading I can see in my active connections window, the speed at which I’m downloading, which is fine. But also I can see that bytes are going out! It’s not much data, it’s measured in kilobytes, but they sometimes add up to a few megabytes. As I said I didn’t upload anything so why would there be data going out albeit small amounts?

What is this data going out? and why does it need to?

Anyone know anything about this?

ty

Edit: I know have 11 out of 45 connections with “bytes out” at about 14kbs on firefox. I have 10 tabs open. One of which is this forum.

[quote author=Thudson link=topic=84980.msg606656#msg606656 date=1339882037]
Hi there,

I’ve been using Windows firewall for years and decided I’d upgrade to something more recognised. Have been going through imputing the rules etc I want.

I noticed when I connected to the internet net through firefox, I’ll leave tabs open which are seemingly doing nothing, yet when I check my active connections it says I have about 30+ (sometimes a lot more when I only have about 5-10 tabs open) connections and half of them have got bytes coming in and also bytes going out? Am I sending out data without me knowing?The idle traffic you are witnessing is part of the TCP/IP protocol. It is a protocol with maintenance. Client and server are sending signals to each other to keep the connection established. In short; it is nothing to worry about.

Also, my housemate set up an FTP server for me, I can get projects off him while I'm away so I can work on them. Similar thing is happening. I've set up my Comodo firewall to have no outgoing connections at all. I'm not uploading to the FTP, I'm just downloading files. Some of the folders can get fairly large due to holding raw images etc. Anyway when I'm downloading I can see in my active connections window, the speed at which I'm downloading, which is fine. But also I can see that bytes are going out! It's not much data, it's measured in kilobytes, but they sometimes add up to a few megabytes. As I said I didn't upload anything so why would there be data going out albeit small amounts?

What is this data going out? and why does it need to?

Anyone know anything about this?

ty

Edit: I know have 11 out of 45 connections with “bytes out” at about 14kbs on firefox. I have 10 tabs open. One of which is this forum.

FTP protocol runs on TCP/IP and here you will also see maintenance traffic going back and forth between client and server.

So the traffic I’m seeing with my FTP connection and the “idle traffic” with firefox are essentially the same thing?

Thanks for your reply!