BugBopper Challenges the Competition

BugBopper has issued three different scanner challenges to Wilders Members: size, speed, and detection rate.

The Size Challenge. Today’s bloated scanners take up to 293 Mb on disk, with the average scanner product in one study requiring 75 Mb. We believe that BugBopper has the smallest footprint on disk of any scanner.

* BugBopper's unique and innovative scanning method greatly reduces both program size and detection database size, while speeding the scanning process and reducing CPU utilization. Once the first full scan of any machine is completed, BugBopper re-scans at blinding speed, on many machines up to thousands of files per second, allowing a full scan to be completed in a minute or two. What's more, the initial download of "signatures", though only 6 MB or so, typically shrinks to less than 200K after the first full scan.
* To win this challenge, simply measure the size of your current scanner on disk, and measure the size of BugBopper on disk after your first scan with BugBopper has completed. Send your findings and comments to Contest@BugBopper.com. If BugBopper is not the smallest, you'll win a free one-year license, or we'll extend your paid license for another year.

The Speed Challenge. A typical scanner can take hours to do a thorough scan of your machine. We believe that BugBopper is the fastest scanner on the market, even in its most thorough mode, often scanning at over 3,000 files per second.

* To win this challenge, scan your machine with BugBopper once. Now scan with your favorite scanner, using equivalent settings, and time and record your results. Now scan again with BugBopper, and time and record your results. Send your findings and comments to Contest@BugBopper.com. If BugBopper's second scan is not the fastest, you'll win a free one-year license, or we'll extend your paid license for another year.

The Detection Challenge. The average scanner detects just 62% of malware files in large collections. In your machine, the percentage is probably the same, because scanners identify what they know to be malware, and ignore files they do not know anything about. BugBopper’s approach is to suspect files it has not seen, and send them to our lab for instant analysis. As a result, BugBopper’s detection rate is higher than any other product. It is the only product, in fact, that can detect and name the 17,000 malware executables that began appearing today.

* Here's something for the malware collectors on the Wilders Security Forums. To win this challenge, you'll need to extract your malware collection from whatever archives you use, as BugBopper does not scan inside archives (since only the extracted programs present actual risk). Scan what you've extracted with BugBopper once. (If anything is new to BugBopper, it will be rushed off to our lab for analysis). Now scan with your favorite scanner, using equivalent settings, and record your results. Now scan again with BugBopper (analysis of those uploaded files will now be complete), and record your results. Send your findings and comments to Contest@BugBopper.com. If BugBopper does not have the highest detection rate, you'll win a free one-year license, or we'll extend your paid license for another year.

When you write, be sure to include the name and version of the other scanner. Results will be posted at BugBopper.com. And I hope there will be some discussion of these outrageous claims here.

You can participate here: BugBopper Challenges the Competition | Wilders Security Forums

This reminds of what Kasperksy did several years ago.

Hope I am remembering correctly here. KAV added a hash code of each file to its ADS (Alternate Data Streams). After the initial scan it would simply check the hash code of a file to the hash code stored in ADS and see if it had changed or not. That made it very fast. As a disadvantage it could take hours uninstalling KAV because it had to remove the hash codes from all files ADS.

Does anybody know why they later dropped this?

Seems that if the file is unknow for them, the file is uploaded and scaned by all this products

AVG
Norman Clean -
CA Clean -
ClamWin Clean -
VirusBuster Clean -
ESET
Quick Heal Clean -
Sunbelt Clean -

http://bugbopper.com/SubmitAFile.asp

Before, I had used their free product, Wuzzup. I think it’s pretty much the same. The only difference is in the removal of malware. It was fast and small, I admit. But I hadn’t really tested it. Hm. I wonder if can do what it claims to do… :-\

I have tested the free version and the detection rate is amazing.

How amazing is amazing? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I’m getting this strong urge to take it for a spin

pe, I tested yesterday many 0day malware from different sources, I am now sure but let say that the 70% were not detected by CAV (without BB cloud).

I tested Wuzzup the free version of BugBopper, I scanned all the files, the files where uploaded to Wuzzup servers, an hour later (I could do it before, usually in 10 min you get the results) I scanned again the computer with Wuzzup and it detected the 100% of the malware.

Another good thing of Wuzzup/BugBopper is that after the first scann, the next scans (full computer) takes less than 2 or 3 min.

That’s an amazing return time. Return time should become better for CIS according to umesh: