Buffer Overflow protection only if you install the Toolbar (bad beginning)

Hi Tarq57,

First, I may say I will support Comodo and will install the Toolbar. I trust the company.
Guys are doing great job. Do I have questions, tough? Yes.
The other issues and questions users have are already in other threads and I personally have a few, which I am going to ask separately. I’ll spend time to figure all out get the answers & will go ahead with Toolbar.
but here
I probably will comment only the highlighted above.
CMF has at least one serious bug unresolved, which you find reading CMF threads.
I use my workaround for solving that. It may not work for others etc.
My concern here is: now when users have choices - CMF or SafeSurf the developers have two applications to maintain. Such approach was never good. It means additional resources needed to do that. Different issues will arise, different solutions and implementations will be applied, different (or the identical :slight_smile: ) bugs may be introduced. All that despite the claim of having “the same” engine.
Previously we (users) were asking: will CMF be integrated in CFP and be part of it? We wanted that. Now it is here. But honestly, I would prefer:

1. different approach of introducing this new feature;
  2. having just this one new BO protection for everything and CMF dev. dropped (you wanted it - you have it)
    or
  3. CMF left and continue its life/development cycle … but the new feature would be indeed “SafeSurf”, which means Internet Browsing BO protection.
    If the latter is implemented by Comodo as a part of a Tollbar for the reasons explained - fine then - users will decide whether they need additional protection, which actually helps to support Comodo developers as well.

That’s how I see it

Anyway, as I said, I will install it as it is implemented now.

Cheers :■■■■ (R)

P.S.
LOL LOL LOL!!!
While I was typing my post there were 2 other posts … actually 3
While I was typing my post there were 2 others posts … actually 3
While I was typing my post there were 2 others posts … actually 3
Melih ! Melih ! Melih ! (:CLP) (:CLP) (:CLP)

FYI:

The future of SafeSurf Toolbar (or UserTrust Toolbar or whatever name it might assume in future):

A toolbar is an important piece of UI. We are working on numerous very interesting new features that will make our toolbar very unique and very valuable to our users.

Please bear with us as our dev guys continue building amazing technologies to keep you safe!

thanks
Melih

PS: Please Support Comodo and install the Toolbar and use it to search stuff! The more you use the more money we make and literally every penny will go towards R&D which will result in more products you can enjoy!

Okay, I have installed the Toolbar & Will support Comodo too!!! :-TU

Josh

Hi Josh,

I wanted that too, but as you can see from my another post
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/no_safesurf_toolbar_offer_on_reinsatll-t23200.0.html
Comodo not interested anymore. (:SAD) …hmm…
It seems like the first offer when I unchecked the box was once in a life time offer…
What I do now ???
Regards

Syber.

Use the CFP3 File+Registry Cleaner found here

Scroll down to the bottom off the page…

First, Download that, Then use Add/Remove programs to Remove CFP 3 & Reboot when instructed. Then use Reg Cleaner, let the process complete & Reboot. Now install the new version and you should be presented with the option too now.

I have deleted your other post btw.

Josh

Using CFP’s reputation to pitch beta software on users was a bad idea. You want to satisfy the public make an anti-phishing toolbar or something of the likes. And you wanna help mature CMF? Then COME UP WITH MORE BUILDS 2.40 HAS BEEN THERE FOR AGES. I’ve tested all of them and they all had problems one way or another. Make a new one and I promise I’ll test it on my own, you don’t have to sneak it into the firewall install to make me test your products, I’ll do it freely sheesh.

I would dearly love to see a screen shot of the toolbar that is causing all this discussion.
Could it be posted here?
If not perhaps it could be described.Is it just an icon next to the clock or is it an additional bar that goes across the screen underneath the address bar.
What is all this preoccupation with tool bars.?
Thanks and Regards

Hi Josh,

I decided to add some info from that another post you deleted otherwise it may not be very clear for others to understand.
The clean reinstall of 23.364 went well and I got the SafeSurf offer screen, but I unchecked Toolbar and Home page. The SafeSurf application was installed. I had SafeSurf subFolder and Icon in SysTray. The only thing the app wasn’t set as Start with Windows so if I needed I could start it manually …and sure there were no Toolbar.
Then I uninstall CFP 23.364 in order reinstall fresh again and get Toolbar. But Comodo does not display the screen with SafeSurf offer anymore (tried 3 fresh reinstalls)

After added preamble here is negative result after following advice you posted

No luck with that. (:SAD)

Uninstalled, as per instruction shutdown all spare processes including connection.

As you advised I ran CFP 3 File+Registry Cleaner.bat. there were few times “not recognized command”
but then “All remains of CFP 3 should now be gone!”

Reinstalled goes fine but no SafeSuff/Toolbar offer:

1. declined Comodo Plus
  2. unchecked scan
  3. reboot
  4. accept Network

Thats’ it…

Imported Rules back … it looks like I need to reinstall Memory Firewall back and live with this
5 reinstallations failed to do the job Only first one where I declined Toolbar was fine
ther is a BUG in installer unfortunately

My regards

Here it is, from Josh, in another thread. :slight_smile:

LA

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks very much
Unfortunately that’s what i thought it would be like.
Toolbars i don’t want
I have an original Google toolbar and i only have that because it has autofill which find invaluable
Thanks again for your trouble.

Here’s a trick… If you go to Addd/Remove programs and uninstall the ask toolbar only, the SafeSearch remains installed and still on your systray and your still protected just without the toolbar. Then again, I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Toolbar or no toolbar, still brilliant protection with Comodo products!

Eric

Very interesting
Great.
Thanks a lot

Kudos to Eric. If offering this toolbar to the general public (as part of the CFP install package) will help make Comodo some money (to feed right back into the Good Fight) that’s fine with me. Hey, these guys have to make some money–they have to eat just like you. If you don’t like the toolbar follow Eric’s instructions. If you don’t like the new CFP version, use someone else’s (B Gates thinks his firewall is the “cat’s meow”). Remember–CFP is free, and delivered right to your computer on demand. Sorry, I hate whiners.

:P0l

I am using the toolbar. Why not? It doesn’t seem to be hogging resources like some other popular toolbars out there. Some of the features are handy, like the magnification tab. Shopping? Well, I give all my money to my wife so I’ll let her handle that one.

(:WIN)

I see another problem with the toolbar approach. My brain sorts any application that wants to install a toolbar into a different “box” than applications that don’t do that. And all the apps in the “toolbar brainbox” are automatically regarded as less trustworthy. Here Comodo’s reputation comes into play and can seriously be damaged.

Imagine a dialog like that:
A: “Did you already hear about Comodo and their lifetime free products?”
B: “Yeah I know, Comodo are those who give it for free but you need to install a nagging toolbar instead. They want to make the internet more secure for me and guess what they do: Install a toolbar.”

Remeber that people won’t listen. They hear toolbar and then they are alerted and don’t want to hear more. Toolbars are poisoned and IMO not the way to gain user’s trust (what Comodo is all about).

I dislike toolbars with a passion, but at least it’s an option and not forced on you.
If you don’t mind toolbars install it, if you dislike them then don’t.

I use Opera and thankfully no toolbar seems to work in that. :smiley:

will it require another reinstall… (J)

I reinstalled safesurfer, but please, in the next update an option to allow a process,not only .exe files. When i play NFS porsche, i need dissable safesurfer.

Just a note, when I check for updates for the SafeSurf it says “Update Error”.

Eric

same here

Because it was removed in the latest version