BSOD when starting PerfectDisk 10 boot time defrag

Just installed comodo system cleaner yesterday to try it out…the cleaning process was fine and everything until i tried to boot time defrag with PerfectDisk.

The BSOD mentioned something about cfrpd.sys. I have since uninstalled the program, and the defrag is back to normal. Hope this issue gets solved.

Hi,

Please provide us with the following extra information:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed;
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;

Thank you for your support.

I can confirm this is on Win 7 RTM.

Security: CIS 3.11 and Windows Defender and Spybot Security Center Integration (SDwinsec.exe). On demand A2 Free (a2 service disabled), Spybot and Malwarebytes Antimalware.
No minidump was written, odd enough. I got error 0X0000008e with cfrdp.sys.

Additional: I have Diskeeper 2009 installed but disabled the Diskeeper service (also disabeld it to start with Windows) to make sure Perfect Disk would not go haywire.

I will try another boot time defragment to see if I can get a minidump. I tried but odd enough no minidump…

Edit2: I disabled the cfrpd.sys with Autoruns and PD successfully did a boot time defrag.

Hello,

We found out that PerfectDisk conflicts with any 3rd party software according to the article on their website: Download PerfectDisk for Home PCs and Home Servers | Raxco Software
It seems that many programs that have an in-built driver, like cfrpd.sys in the case of CSC, conflicts with PDBoot.exe when both drivers try to modify the BootExecute registry key.

The knowledge article also has a list of programs that conflicts with Perfect Disk. There are also other threads about complaints on this topic. Unfortunately, the only solution is to choose between CSC and PerfectDisk.

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for the information.

The list also mentions inspect.sys of Comodo Firewall. That must have been fixed by now.

I guess one could work around it by disabling the start entry of cfrpd.sys with Autoruns and enabling after the boot time defrag. Luckily boot time defrag is not a daily task…:wink:

Since it was fixed in the firewall program you could ask the firewall devs for advice on how to deal with this conflict.

We have updated our list of applications that will prevent PerfectDisk’s boot time defrag from running or will cause Windows issues when a boot time defrag has run to include Comodo System Cleaner - cfrpd.sys

If Comodo developers need assistance in fixing the BSOD issue with cfrpd.sys, Raxco is available to help.

• Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP 2003-2007
    Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Thank you for informing us. It shows dedication to your customers. :-TU

[s]I looked at the article and noticed that Comodo Firewall is on the list. The firewall in its current incarnation as part of Comodo Internet Security Suite 3.11, with inspect.sys driver, does not have this problem anymore.

It must have gotten fixed somewhere along the way between when the Firewall was still a firewall only and now. May be you can add to your Knowledge Base that updating to the latest version will solve the problem? With what version of Comodo Firewall did you test? I am just curious here.

Not all download sites have the latest version of Comodo Internet Suite for download. For example Major Geeks still offers Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378 with date stamp 2008-04-20.[/s]

Edit:

I forgot CIS was updated tonight to 3.12 and also updated Comodo System Cleaner. So, I was going to test what I stated about the inspect.sys not influencing the boot time defrag. When doing a boot time defrag PD stated it had a driver conflict and would not perform. I made sure both the cfrpd.sys and inspect.sys were disabled when testing. So, there is another driver, which is not in the KB article, that is giving the problem.

So now I cannot state for sure the inspect.sys is not playing a role…

Is there any other user who can test this? 88)

EricJH, I can confirm that inspect.sys is not playing a role in this. I have CIS 3.12 plus PD 10 and have no problem on boot time defrag. I don’t use CSC because since the last version it causes services.exe to eat memory.

This is a more permanent workaround, furnished to me by PerfectDisk Support:
Run Regedit
Go to Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CFRPD\Start
Change value from 0 to 3 (1 indicates that it starts at System. 3 indicates that it starts manually)

This allows PerfectDisk 10 to successfully complete a boot-time system defrag and does not affect CSC when you want to run it. But, according to PerfectDisk Technical Support, the CFRPD Start registry value should be changed back to 0 after completing a system defrag.

Thanks for confirming.:-TU

@gshayes. I can now take out the strike through I made before:
I looked at the article and noticed that Comodo Firewall is on the list. The firewall in its current incarnation as part of Comodo Internet Security Suite 3.11, with inspect.sys driver, does not have this problem anymore.

It must have gotten fixed somewhere along the way between when the Firewall was still a firewall only and now. May be you can add to your Knowledge Base that updating to the latest version will solve the problem? With what version of Comodo Firewall did you test? I am just curious here.

Not all download sites have the latest version of Comodo Internet Suite for download. For example Major Geeks still offers Comodo Firewall 3.0.25.378 with date stamp 2008-04-20.

A word of caution here. The cfrdp driver is part of registry protection so my advice would be to leave the cfrdp service enabled as it is but only change it to manual when performing a boot time defrag.

Edit:

I forgot CIS was updated tonight to 3.12 and also updated Comodo System Cleaner. So, I was going to test what I stated about the inspect.sys not influencing the boot time defrag. When doing a boot time defrag PD stated it had a driver conflict and would not perform. I made sure both the cfrpd.sys and inspect.sys were disabled when testing. So, there is another driver, which is not in the KB article, that is giving the problem.

So now I cannot state for sure the inspect.sys is not playing a role…

Is there any other user who can test this? 88)

I use PerfectDisk 10 and have CIS 3.12 installed. Inspect.sys is not causing any problem with PerfectDisk performing a system defrag. I have uninstalled CSC, however. The workaround of changing the CFRPD Start value to 3 and then changing it back to 0 after completing a system defrag is just that, a workaround. It does not allow a system defrag to be run on a schedule, so until CSC developers get this fixed, I will use CCleaner to clean my disk. I already have an excellent registry cleaner, Registry First Aid, that I use for registry cleaning.

Edit by EricJH: fixed the quote

Thanks for confirming larlyes.