BSOD - Unmountable Boot Volume

Just installed DS. Enabled shield on C: drive and rebooted with the “keep session” option selected. Not I get a BSOD when attempting to boot into windows with a “UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME” error. Any ideas on how to get back into windows without a full reinstal?

thanks for any suggestions.

Do you have a Bootable CD by hand ? something like Ultimate BOOT CD or the Windows Install CD/DVD ?

…thx for the reply. Yes, I have an XP SP2 CD. I Tried to boot from the CD to use recovery console but got a meesage saying I had no hard drives in the system. So Recovery Console is a bust. :frowning:

If I try to boot regularly, I get all the way to the Win XP logo screen then get the .1 second BSOD triggering it to boot again. I had to film the BSOD to see what the heck it was saying because it disappears so quickly. :slight_smile:

Looks like a reinstall may be in my future. :frowning: You think I’d learn not to use beta software! :slight_smile:

Have you tried booting in safe mode ?

Xan

We should first start to see if you can disable the automatic boot after BSOD.
If you start and press F8 repeatedly you should be able to “disable automatic reboot after crash”

My guess is a BSOD 0x0000007B or something similar.

If the bootloader loads there is at least one disk with a active partition and a MBR, looks like something else is broken.
Does your BIOS still detect the disk ?

I would try to download the Ultimate BOOT CD for windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) and boot from that disk see if that helps, is it a normal IDE / SATA disk or one with special drivers ? like SCSI etc (if so you should have needed them also during the first install of your system).

eXPerience: I’ve tried booting in safe mode and it freezes when it tries to load cdsmon.sys

Ronny:
I disabled auto reboot. Here’s the stop error that’s posted:
STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A862E30, 0xC000009A, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The disc is still detected in the BIOS.

Good call on the special drivers, totally forgot about that step… I have a RAID 0 setup so I’ll try to boot from the WinXP disc, load the RAID drivers and see what happens. It’s been a REALLY long time since I’ve used the WinXP boot disc. I’ve just been using/updating a ghost image for the last few yuears.

… I stand corrected. I just tried booting into safe mode and on the 6th try it made it past the cdsmon.sys freeze! Any thoughts or suggestions on what I could try to do while in safe mode?

Try to disable all Comodo drivers an services that go with DiskShield.
I’ll see if i can come up with a list

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run, Remove Diskshield.
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsflt, Set start to 0
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsflt, Set start to 0
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsmon, Set start to 0

See if that helps ? but i’m not 100% confident it will, as i’m not totaly aware of how Diskshield works on Kernel level.

At least you can still access your data and make a backup to something like a usb disk ?

Again, thx for the suggestions on this. And yes, thankfully backups are at least possible. I route my desktop and personal folders to a seperate partition so it’s really not that big of an issue. I just don’t feel like spending a day re-installing all my apps/games. :slight_smile:

OK,

Done: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run, Remove Diskshield.
Done: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsmon, Set start to 0

This entry is not there: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsflt, Set start to 0
There is however an HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdsraw that is already set to “0” for start.

attempted a reboot with got same BSOD.

Rather than spending the day trying to troubleshoot this, will probably just install backup ghost image and go from there.

… unless you have any other ideas you think may be worth trying.

MS Technet also recommends a chkdisk /f /r ran from the recovery disk.
That would be my last advice i guess, then it’s gonna be a lot faster to restore the image.

For mouting problems, I don’t know this would help but
For some of the games on my pc. I use “DAEMON Tools” to mount my games to the computer
I can be gotten at http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php <–Like I said "It’s works for my Pc Games but don’t know if it’ll help you.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable would know???

Thx for the help Ronny.

If I find the motivation, I’ll give that a try this week and post back here if it works. I may just go to the ghost image and be done with it. :slight_smile:

I thought Daemon tools started including some malware too (do you have an older version?).

I’m not sure what Daemon Tools would be able to bring to the table on this issue. Is there something it can do for XP bootup issues? I thought it was only for mounting iso and cue files for games and apps.

Daemon tools needs a running system, that won’t help here.
I would go for Ultimate Boot cd for Windows, you can run a Live Windows and do all kinds of other stuff with it.
Maybe you could even try to load Diskshield on it to “unshield” the mapped drive, but that’s a wild guess.