Broken GUI for custom ICMP message type 3 code >4 [NBZ]

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Create (app/global) rule for custom ICMP message of type 3 and code >4 (for example 10 - Host administratively prohibited), click ok, reedit rule.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: In ICMP Details drop-down for message is blank and type/code edit boxes are missing (check screenshot).
  3. What you expected to happen or see: Drop-down filled with “custom”, type = 3, code = 10.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Not repairable by user.
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes?:
  6. Details (exact version) of any application involved with download link:
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen:
  • create rule for custom icmp message type 3, code >4
  • save rule
  • reedit rule and check “icmp details” tab
  1. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):
    This occurs only for ICMP type 3. I’ve checked other types with code 10 and boxes were present (yes, I know only ICMP type 3 have valid codes >4). However after opening config file in text editor you can see the rule is saved correctly - only GUI is broken.

Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug:
    http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8297/screenwa.jpg
    http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8684/screenhint.jpg
  2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List:
  3. A CIS config report or file.
  4. Crash or freeze dump file:

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.0.162636.1135/6634, customized
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4, if so b) have you tried reinstalling?: no / no
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS, if so b) have U tried a preset config?: yes / N/A
  4. Other major changes to the default config (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here. ) yes
  5. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: FW:custom policy
  6. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP SP2
  7. Other security and utility software running: None.
  8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): None.

It seems that the gui is not broken, but the corresponding text merely inexistant, as you can check by editing cfp.yourlanguage.lang, lines 21070-21080: no available string and text for the icmp messages you are talking of, cis is asked to show nothing, and shows nothing…

I use original (english) lang and it’s not the case of missing translation. Also I disagree with you, because for other custom ICMPs it shows proper type/code boxes as well as “custom” as message info after reopening rule (5,1 is Redirect for Host Error): http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/246/screen2ad.jpg You’ve probably missed the part about that it was only for custom ICMP. Well, maybe I took it wrong and it’s not the broken GUI, but the routine filling the tab.

There’s no “missing translation”.
The translation might not be perfect, but the relevant thing is that it has exactly the same number of lines for the same number of events:

Well, maybe I took it wrong and it's not the broken GUI, but the routine filling the tab.
I might be wrong, but it is actually what i'm trying to say. I am not running cis5 at the present time; i shall check next time if i find some text (e.g. for 5,1) appearing in the gui and not in the configuration files (but might also be hardcoded...) in order to confirm or infirm such an hypothesis.

Ugh… There is NO translation text neither for 5,1 nor for 3,10 or anything except those you’ve pasted and which are selectable from drop-down list. It has nothing to do with “not perfect translation”.
I’ve already told you that this is for CUSTOM message. Please first check the corresponding tab as well attached screens (and read carefully my posts).
Especially for you I’ve used my extraordinary gfx skill and edited the screen: http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8684/screenhint.jpg :wink:

Maybe your firewall’s version does not support custom ICMP message types to be entered or you are just misunderstanding things. :wink:

If there’s no translation of such messages by CIS, there actually are people using CIS in other languages then english…

I am merely saying that the bug is not that obvious; selecting “custom” does not result in viewing the word “custom” in every instance, as you can test e.g. by selecting custom, 3, 0: you won’t see “custom”, meaning that CIS actually searches for some string corresponding to the entered code.

Now, you are right, if such a string does not exist (and it should), CIS should show “custom” in every instance, and not only in some of them.

Thanks for a careful report in standrad format.

Forwarding to fomat verified.

Mouse

The bug/issue

CUSTOM ICMP Rules not displayed in GUI as requested by USER:

1. What you did:

Created the following Firewall/GLOBAL Rule:

Description: FRAG TIME
    Source: Any / Destination: Any
    ICMP Details: Message = Custom / Type = 11 / Code = 1

2. What actually happened or you actually saw:

The rule is changed to the Following:

Description: FRAG TIME
    Source: Any / Destination: Any
    ICMP Details: Message = ICMP Time Exceeded

3. What you expected to happen or see:

I was expecting my CUSTOM rule, displayed in the FORMAT I entered it.
    (see the irony here … )

4. How you tried to fix it & what happened:

I tried several other CUSTOM ICMP types and discovered that
    for ICMP code that COMODO believes it recognises COMODO over-rides user selection
    and replaces CUSTOM ICMP with what COMODO believes the ICMP type should be.

• Example #1 (Requested Rule is over-ridden by COMODO):

Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE XXXX
    Protocol: ICMP - Source: Any / Destination: Any

This GLOBAL rule is interpeted by COMODO and replaced with the following ICMP message:

• Example #2 (Requested Rule is over-ridden by COMODO):

Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE YYYY

This GLOBAL rule is interpeted by COMODO and replaced with the following ICMP message:

• Example #3 (Requested Rule is created and displayed exactly as requested):

Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE ZZZZ

This GLOBAL rule is created EXACTLY as I requested.
    ie. Message: Custom / Type = 12 / Code = 1

1. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes?:

This is a GLOBAL rule not tied to any application other than COMODO.

2. Details (exact version) of any application involved with download link:

N/A

3. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen:

The issue is replicated every time, exactly the same way:

Follow Step 4 above:
    Example - Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE XXXX
    Example - Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE YYYY
    Example - Description: TEST CUSTOM RULE ZZZZ

4. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):

My “guess” is that COMODO tries to interpret the CUSTOM rule and if COMODO
    believes it recognises the ICMP custom type it over-rides the USER selection.

However, although the GUI does over-ride the USERS requested rule,
    if the Configuration is Saved and Exported the .cfgx file does show
    that the rules have all been created according to the USERS request.

For example, in the “Example #2” above, although the GUI does NOT know what
    message type to enter in the message field, the Configuration file has the
    following details:

IcmpType=“3” IcmpCode=“13”

** NO attached files required **

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used:

COMODO Internet Security PREMIUM
    Product Version: 5.0.163652.1142
    Virus SDB: 6902

2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4:

NO - This is an absolutely Vanilla installation of CIS

b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?:

N/A

3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS:

b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?:

N/A

4. Other major changes to the default config (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here. )

5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= , Sandbox= , Firewall = , AV =

No other changes made to operational settings

6. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type:

Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3 - 32 Bit.
    UAC: Not implemented
    Account Type: Administrator

7. Other security and utility software installed:

None

8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box):

None

The dates on this thread appear to be out of date …
the replies to my original post all appear to have been posted before my post … psychic~man !
???

With regard to the Language suggestion:
It seems the issue occurs before the langauge file text is actually required as the decision is made by CIS to force an interpretation of the user requirement, based on the detection of an ICMPType, that CIS presumes to know more about than the user. Having decided CIS knows what the user wants it then goes to look up what text to substitute for the users request.

The issue is this:
If the user has taken the time to select a CUSTOM ICMP Type then CIS should leave the rule unchanged so that it shows the rule as a CUSTOM type with the User specified codes … regardless of their validaty.

So … was this issue looked into and was a resolution arrived at ?

Sorry for not replying sooner … i was unaware of a time-out on such posts. :a0
Thanks