BOCore.exe cpu 100% surge while Google screensaver is running

Hi, I did try searching and checked the FAQ but didn’t find anything, so apologies if this has been addressed before.

I use the Google screensaver that came packaged with Picasa and have noticed that while the screensaver is on BOCore.exe shoots to 100% cpu for 4 or 5 seconds before each photo change. This is only noticeable because I use the pan and zoom setting which annoyingly freezes for the length of the 100% surge.

Does anybody know what I can do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance

Hi ipkiss, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I don’t know why this is happening, but what you can try is to exclude ( right click on the BOClean task bar icon, and than left click on “Program Excluder”, left click “File”, and left click “File explorer” ) the Google screensaver in BOClean.

Greetz, Red.

Thanks for the response Red :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to add Google.scr found in Windows\system32 to the Program Excluder, but I don’t think BOClean accepts .scr extensions. I get a pop-up stating ‘The item you dragged is not a program or a shortcut to a program. It cannot be excluded. Please try again

Is it likely there is a different program/shortcut I should be trying to exclude? I also tried excluding Picasa3.exe as a long shot in the hope that it was responsible for the screensaver but unsurprisingly it made no difference

Any ideas? ???

Oh dear. :frowning:

Well … got some bad news there … BOClean doesn’t allow *.SCR extensions to be dragged to the excluder, a design option I made several versions back because people were gladly dragging their virus screensavers to the excluder after BOClean fired off on them because they had some interesting “pr0n” in them even though they were viruses. “document.scr” being one of the more popular ones propagated by email. Since we got blamed for failing to detect once we actually had, I removed that option since it’s not practical to put a scanner in the excluder, and leaving it in there was too dangerous. Aggh. Even worse news is that those SCR viruses are still being used. :frowning:

For now, I’ve grabbed Picasa and will play with it as time permits … will get back to you though I suspect that the problem is that Picasa is really eating that much CPU and slowing down BOClean in trying to get at it. Once I have some facts, will let you know. But excluding it is not a possibility in 4.27 and doing so will require a new version and all of the delays in procedures on my end in order to get one out. Can’t make any promises until I can look into this and discuss “up the chain” once I know what we’ve got here …

I’ll add my two cents to this topic.

Picasa’s screensaver seems to be quite heavy on the resources. If you look at my screenshot, you can see it consuming almost 25 % of cpu resources and I’m using a quadcore. This is when I use the pan-and-zoom option. Other options in the screensaver aren’t quite as resource heavy, but they tax the cpu too, nonetheless.

Also, in the screenshot, I don’t see big cpu spikes caused by BOC427.exe. I suppose the original poster’s problem is related to the heavy use of cpu by the screensaver.

Using the latest versions of Picasa (3.1.0.70.73) and BOClean (4.27) on Win XP SP3.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hmm :-\

Thanks for the thoughts guys

In that case it was a wise decision I’d say Kevin, but I don’t understand these people’s logic - why would they even have BOClean if they didn’t trust it when it flagged their dodgy screensaver? And I’ll go out on a limb and guess these people then complained that their security programs were ineffective because they got infected?

The funny thing for me is that if i launch the screensaver manually it works well with no spikes at all (see first second screenshot) but when the screensaver is started automatically the surges from BOCore.exe are huge and yet GPhotos.scr is only slightly higher (the second first screenshot)

I don’t know why this would happen ???

Well, that’s interesting. In the screenshot I’ve attached you can see Gphotos.scr (started automatically after one minute) utilizing the cpu hard but BOCore.exe and BOC427.exe are idling quite happily. Thats quite contrary to what you’re experiencing.

I have too monitors and the screensaver shows a different picture on each one. Maybe that explains why it’s using so much cpu?

Perhaps Kevin can shed some more light on this issue.