BOclean running att 99% cpu

(:WAV) morning

The other day when my daughter had been on pc for many hours she logged off and the next morning when i went to come on i had no mouse to wake my pc up and could not turn off the pc by holding the on/off switch down. Only way was to switch off at the mains.

I thought maybe i had a driver playing up again so did a system restore (which took ages… normaly done in 5 mins)

today when i come on pages very slow to load and i noticed the BOClean icon permenantly green. On checking the task manager BOClean was running at 99%. This went on for ages and the only way i could stop it was to close it via task manager. I uninstalled and reinstalled it in case this was what was locking up my pc.

Anyone else had problems like this?

So far it has found nothing on my pc :BNC i must go to all the right web sites (:WIN)

hey… yes, some others have mentioned having the same issue before… what i think you should do would be to disable BOC from running at “startup” and then see if there is some other problem… to do that, since your computer is hanging when you boot up, i would boot into “safe mode”, then start BOC so that you can then open its “configuration” and then, in BOC’s configuration, untick “automatically start BOClean”… then reboot…

when you reboot, BOC then will not run automatically at startup, so it shouldn’t be causing a problem… then see if there is some other problem…

what i think is that actually some other program is hanging, but BOC is monitoring the program as it is trying to open and so it looks like BOC is hanging…

to boot into “safe mode”, press the “F8” key as the computer is booting up (before the “bios” finishes loading)… when your computer first starts to boot up, you will see a green light that is lit, on your keyboard, while the “bios” is loading…

another alternative, to prevent BOC from running at “startup”, is to remove the “startup” regkey, one way or another…

if you are unsure about doing something like that, you can use “startup control panel” to remove the key… here is a link to it:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

if you download “startup control panel”, use the “stand-alone” version…

There’s a very handy little program that will sort out this problem called WinPatrol (available from Download.com)
On the start up page of this program you can disable any of the start up programs, reboot and find out which ones are causing the problems. You can then re-enable the ones that are OK.
You can also disable a lot of those that are not necessary as well, which will drastically reduce your start-up time.

Mike.

Wonder if this could be related to yesterday’s bad updates incident, wherein BOC took objection to some Windows system files. If it cranked down on those files, perhaps this caused some other issues…

LM

Good thinking, Windows hates any of it’s system files being played with.

Would still recommend anyone doing the start-up tests with WinPatrol though, as usually there’s a dozen or more programs in there that you don’t need.
Every new piece of software you install seems to add one.
I have 10 running and 20 disabled at the moment.

Mike.

since i have done my system restore and reinstalled BOClean everything seems fine again (:NRD)

i have installed winpatrol and it lists in the start up

nod32
Vengine
Comodo Firewall Pro
BOC 424
winpatrol
ctfmon.exe
protowall

nerofiltercheck was there but i moved it to the delayed… anyone know what this is and do i need it there? :THNK

lisa, you can do a google-search for “nerofiltercheck”…

from what i read, if is for monitoring the driver that “nero” uses when burning cd’s…

i am not sure if you should leave it running in realtime, or not…

it is good to hear that BOC is working ok for you, now, at least for the time being…

BOC shouldn’t cause any problems for you… just be careful about letting it remove any files that it flags, in case they are false-positives…

you can customize BOC’s “configuration” settings… i disable some of the cleaning options, but i guess that most people just use the default settings…

You can see if it’s necessary to run when you enter the name on this website:
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html You may uncheck items when you see an N,U and when you see X this is malware. It’s unnecessary you will find the description when you entered it on the website I mentioned.