BOClean 4.24 update problems

I installed BOClean 4.24 and when I try to update I get an error message that says ERROR!!!Not connected. Check connection or firewall settings. I am running xp with sp2, avast anti-virus,CFP, avg 7.5 anti-spyware and windows defender. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi whitty,
Welcome to the Comodo BOClean forum!
I’ve added “Update Issues” to our pending FAQ.
FAQ Requests & Input
See if that helps, if the problem persists let us know.

I have tried all the suggestions and nothing worked. I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times, but it will not work. I forgot to mention that if I keep clicking check for updates, it will eventually work.

What’s your OS and network setup (firewall, router and modem) look like?
Are you on dial up?
Hold the bus…
I ran a quick ping to your IP and saw 23 0f the 35 hops on your providers network… of those 23 hops 4 were one address and 19 were another. About 70% packet loss for the last 3-4 hops before it times out.
Looks like maybe they have a router flapping or some other network problem.
Can you run a ping from a command prompt like this : (copy and paste it into the command prompt interface)
ping theplanet.com -l 1440 -n 30
Copy your Ping statistics to text and post it here.
This is what mine looks like as an example:

Ping statistics for 70.87.6.117: Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 60ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 60ms

Could you please explain how to do this because I don’t know how?

Figured out how to do it.
Ping statisiics for 70.87.6.117
Packets: Sent=4, Recieved;=4, Loss 0
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum=234ms, Maximum=246ms, Average 237ms.

Good, can you do it with the length (-l) and number (-n) switches like I had in my earlier post?
ping 70.87.6.117 -l 1440 -n 30
This will use a “real world” packet size and hit it 30 times in order to get a little bigger sample to look at.
Thanks!
Edit: Here’s a screen shot of what you need to have entered to your command prompt.
Enter that and hit enter.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Here are the results.
Ping statistics for 70.87.6.117
Packets: sent=30. Received=30, Lost=0 <0% loss>
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum=234ms, Maximum=269ms, Average=248ms.
By the way, I just checked for updates and it took seven times clicks to check.

I just hit your current IP with a ping and am seeing 56% packet loss at 139.55.110.226, which is the last hop that responds… not to mention the repeating IP’s that suggest a flapping router.
I’m thinking it’s an incoming packet loss issue that’s due to network congestion on your node.
Here’s the first ping at your IP (without your real IP address).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Is there anything I can do about it?

Well, we don’t know “for sure” that’s what’s causing it but it’s high on my suspect list.
I’m not really familiar with your provider or set up… there may be a TTL (time to live) setting that you can adjust out that would allow you to “listen” for a response a little longer.
Do you have any other software that auto updates ok?

I don’t use automatic updates, but all other anti-spyware and anti-virus update with no problem. I always just check for updates myself since I am on dial-up.

Is this a wireless or EVDO type connection?
If so, can you connect from a hardwired source and try updating manually again.

This is not a wireless connection. I just checked for updates and it took eight attempts. I even tried un-installing comodo firewall and re-installing, but it didn’t make any difference. I have avast, avg anti-spyware free, spyware blaster, and spybot s&d, all update on the first attempt.

Do you have P2P applications running in parallel while trying to update? Those apps are prone to stress a router to maximum if settings are soo aggressive.

No I don’t use p2p.

If your other apps update fine I think that would rule out network connectivity.
I’m stumped. ???
I’ve turned this in for review, if you get an email notice that your post was reported pay it no attention.

Hi

Perhaps BOClean uses Internet Options - Connection tab (aka. MSIE Internet Options) as CFP and CAVS does. Often users don’t use MSIE (for sensible reasons) & as a result the Connections tab can become out-of-date. This might explain why other things seem to work, where as BOClean doesn’t.

Yep … BOClean’s updating uses the FTP settings in Internet Explorer and the updating code is absolutely solid within BOClean. Therefore, any update issues are the result of either IE’s settings or a misconfigured/misbehaving firewall or an actual loss between one’s internet provider and COMODO’s servers. In each case where update problems have been reported with 4.24, every time it’s been an external cause …

One other possibility not mentioned is “enable folder views” in ftp settings in IE - under the right conditions and the right firewall settings, that can prevent the “PASV FTP” (“passive”) from working but that’s a rare one …

Thanks, I have been using firefox, but after reading the posts this morning I switched back to IE and that worked. Ichecked for updates five times and there was no error. Thanks again. (:CLP)