Blocking Bitwise

I rightclicked Bitwise (www.bitwiseim.com) to Allow everything (and checked those 2 boxes), but still the typing recognition is impossible through Comodo (with Comodo exit it works). It uses port 4137 for this kind of traffic I believe.

1: Why doesn’t Comodo listen to an Allow all command?
2: How to solve this securely?

You can make a request to Comodo support that they add Bitwise to the safelist.
You can make a rule in Network monitor for the 4137 port.
It should look like this.
Action : Allow
Protocol : TCP or UDP
Direction : In/Out
Source IP : Any
Destination IP : Any
Source Port : Any
Destination Port : A single port : 4137
Be sure to move your rule to the top of the Network monitor list.
Restart CPF and see if it works. If it doesn’t, attach your logs here.

That works. Why won’t Comodo obey my orders? If I say an app is allowed everything, it is, and should not need further ‘authorization’ by people at Comodo. Leading programmer please clarify this point.

I’m no programmer, but i can explain that Comodo FW works with two layers.
One for the applications and one for network. You can see Network monitor as a kind of router.
You need to forward ports for some programs, just like you do, if you have a router.
Why? You are more secure! More security demand some work to do, so you get things to work as you wish. Comodo is working on the firewall to make it “install and forget with full security”.

Why give the option ‘allow everything’ if it doesn’t?

If you give the program “allow everything” in Application monitor, thats the first layer of security.
The Network monitor is the second layer of security. As i said in my previous post, it’s all about security. Most of the time, you don’t have to make a rule in Network monitor, it’s just some programs that require that.

Then it should be allow everything through first layer. Or, as logic dictates, escape every layer and just do it.

Hi. If you consider that programs may have some parts you want to allow and some not, some you may want to access to certain areas. Say you want Windows Media player to access the internet but not the updater, poor example but simply allowing it wouldn’t do then.

Paul

No it shouldn’t. Making an application rule determines IF you want an application to access the outside world. The network monitor rule determines HOW it can gain that pre-approved access.

I realise that this involves an extra rule, but it is far, far, far better security!

At least you only hace to do it once. :wink:

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Brand new at BitWise, but a user of Comodo for a while, I’ve encountered a difficulty that’s not handled by the change to Network Monitoring allowing use of port 4137.

I’ve recently added a Linksys Router BSEFR41 v4, but it configured itself for Web use automatically.

Any suggestions, please?

Dave