BIG BUG: Firewall doens't filter ANY connection to internet!

I got my firewall working better. Here is how: Previously I used Windows 7 mobile broadband feature to connect internet. Instead of using it I used old fashion Dial-Up connection. It uses my mobile broadband modem just as any other dial up modem. Now my firewall detects connections, including inbound connection attempts from the internet!!

Why? I do not know. I suspect that there is something very different how Mobile Broadband feature works comparing to old dial-up feature. I think firewall software just do not handle this correctly. Norton Internet Security and Windows Firewall are only working solutions if I want to protect Mobile Broadband connection. Now I must instead use Dial-up, since I do not want to pay Norton and WF is not enough for me.

Using Dial-up instead of Mobile Broadband feature of W7 does not change things much. Speed is same. Only difference is that I must manually enter APN setting to my modem properties: Control panel\device manager\Modems<<your modem<<\properties\advanced settings.

Similar problem here: running XP, sp3.
-CIS is allowing ADOBE (and MS Office) products to run/dial home/update without any warning whatsoever.
-Removing a"Adobe" (and Microsoft) instances from “trusted vendors” does nothing.
-Trying to add Illustrator to “pending files” returns “Illustrator is a safe file” even though there are no entries ANYWHERE in CIS for any adobe product once I deleted them from “trusted vendors”.

The Adobe and Micrsoft files are on the big Comodo white list as trying to add them to My Pending Files shows.

What you see is the result of the new default settings of CIS.

Therefor I move this to the Firewall Help board

:frowning:
How do we change the “new default setings”, to make your firewall work like a real firewall?

In Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy → Application Rules remove the All Applications rule.

In Firewall → Advanced → Firewall Behaviour Settings → enable ".

I finally found why my firewall software has difficulty filtering connection in W7. Here you can read why:

Download this document. It says that W7 will have imcompatiblity issues with for example firewall software when internet connection using Mobile Broadband devices:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/MB/MBChangesWin7.mspx

Is COMODO aware of this?

They are now :wink:

Any change to have this fixed when next fix is released?? ???

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

does the latest Version 4.0.141842.828 of CIS released on 12 April, 2010 fix this “Big Bug” ?

Please anyone who has tested this version put on your comments and enlighten us. ???

I asked the dev , with whome I am in conntact about this issue, and he said that the new driver is not been released in the new version… and he doent know why and when it will be.

I surely can understand why. Mobile Broadband in W7 works quite differently that other network connections. So all filtering functions must be rewritten to parse Mobile Broadband raw IP. New features of NDIS 6.2 must be implemented.

I think Microsoft made a BIG mistake changing the connections work. They should have documented it more clearly and should have given alert to the developers. MANY users use Mobile Broadband. THose who use external USB 3G may not be affected since they use propiertary software for creating connection, not W7 Mobile Broadband feature.

jarmomak,

you dont understand that is it not about Mobile Broadband!!! … at least what I was discussing with the dev. So maybe that your issue is different one than mine

Oh yes! I may understand that YOUR problem is not Mobile Broadband.
But: you should note that I have posted to this topic before you have reported your problem here.

We may have similar symptoms though the cause may be different. Mine are clearly related to Mobile Broadband, since dialup connection filtering works ok. Only W7 Mobile Broadband feature is problem in my case.

Please try not to be so jealous about your problem! I think devs will look for both of our problems as well. There is rooms for both here, aren’t there! Even in the same topic… So - keep it calm ;D

I am not jelous :wink:
But the name of the topic doesnt point to the issue with the mobile broadband, but it is global. So I think my problem is global and when it is solved than your also be solved…who knows.

so, till the next fix…

I have same problem after 4 years!! :-
I recently use comodo firewall free I try to disable OS signature and install comodo driver (inspect.inf) but it failed to install without any error.
I have simply network, An ADSL modem in bridge mode And a PPPOE connection in windows 8.1 64bit. Comodo version is 7.0
As you see Comodo not installed in PPPOE connection (HOME name)

but it installed on Ethernet
does this bug fixed for you?
Please help me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

It looks like an old problem that was solved resurfaced:

If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.