best free antivirus? [merged]

A
V
I
R
A

:-TU

Just added some funny pics for you: (Now, aren’t we Germans a very strange people?)

[attachment deleted by admin]

HaHa good one there fella :BNC

Not as strange as we Brits though,plus you make great ■■■■ :■■■■

I’m also weighing in for Avira (I have a new 6 month free license to the pro version). The Support Forum is very responsive & knowledgeable. I’m sure they’ll work with you until you straighten out your problems with it! Just don’t make my frequent mistake of going to the German lang portion on top of the forum before realizing you have to scroll to the English section. :wink: I’m really very impressed with the software & the support!

As of Jan 1 I began updating / changing the security software I’m using on my computer.Uninstalled fairly useless security suite provided by my ISP, instead, bit by bit, installed BoClean, Avira, & CFP. (Enabled Windows Firewall for the short haul, basically went online for security sw updates, & to educate myself on the new software, how to tweak the system so all would work… Then checked intensively for Malware before installing CFP - Firewall running in Train with Safe Mode; Defense Plus in Clean PC mode. So all the other stuff was installed & running well, & the computer, so i sincerely hope, malware free, before I installed it as a last step. This may make a difference in what it allows conflict free.)

I find no conflicts between CFP 3.0.14.276 +Defense, BoClean, Hostsman, Winpatrol Free, SpywareBlaster (selectively enabled for IE CLSIDs, not global hosts or Firefox, Spybot S&D (haven’t updated to the latest-greatest, I want to read other’s reactions first) set to prevent bad downloads on IE, no teatimer ever, & Avira with all guards enabled. (Let’s hope it keeps on working!)

It’s possible that I don’t need Winpatrol’s active protection (I am not running the hosts protection, the rest are all enabled), but I’ve only had CFP running 30 hours & don’t know enough about it – yet – to comment. I do know that Winpatrol shows me hidden files, allows me to adjust all kinds of settings on the fly, make myself notes about stuff running / installed on my system, fine-tune my startup programs so they don’t overload my resources by starting all at once, & isn’t interfering with anything else I’m using. My system resources aren’t strained, it’s familiar, does what it does very well. It stays! Also have for on demand scans SuperAntiSpyware Free, Spybot S&D, ,Avg anti-rootkit, & Ewido Free - Ewido version allows me to right click scan individual files/folders. I read Avg doesn’t; that’s enough of a useful feature to keep me using Ewido. the malware databases are the same.

Morphos: what is that software you are linking to? Similar to total uninstall? Would you please post a link to info as well as to the download itself?

If the system is running smoothly with no lag or conflicts then it isn’t a problem running the various apps.If you’re looking for an alternative to Total Uninstall I recommend Zsoft Uninstaller as a great free util.

Moved 2 ■■■■ posts to the The drunken song thread.

Ladies, Gentleman (and REBOL :a0), let’s try to keep any alcoholic beverage posts in that thread above :P0l

Additional off-topic posts shall be moved to other strange threads.

Hi Guy’s just want to know what is the best free anti-virus version today base in your experience…

this is my choices, pc-tools anti-virus, avast, bitdefender, avg, avira…

thank in advance…

i’m still waiting for CAVS3 :slight_smile:

Well I think it really depends on personal taste which is the best pick. According to av-comparatives Avira has the best detection rate. For me it is working unobtrusively. But you can try them all out and then pick the one best suiting your likes.

Avira or Avast. Personally I spent the money on Avira Premium and it was well worth it. Dr Web Curit is also a good on demand scanner.

Obviously it’s CAVS

MMM, i think that’s open for debate, i personally think Avast is the best…but after installing Vista i ain’t got the option to stick with Comodo anti virus even if i wanted to. (:AGY)

P.S. I’m waiting for CAVS3 too

I got to disagree. CAVS got a detection rate of ~50% (according to tests), so Avira or Avast! would be my recommendation. Avira got good detection rates, and Avast! got pretty good, but a small plus for having boot-time scanner!
But hopefully CAVS will be a more powerful AV with better detection rates in the future :wink:

I’d say out of the two, Avast! because after using avira, I dont like its lack of configurability.

I honestly have to say Clam Win is the best on demand scanner i have used. But for real time protection. Avast all the way. :-TU :-TU

Guy’s thanks a lot for the reply (:WAV)

avira and avast got up to about 98-99% detetction rates :BNC

CAVS got a detection rate of ~50% (according to tests), so Avira or Avast!
Guys would give me reference when was tests Avira and Avast. Thank. (:NRD)

what are you saying?

Here’s the test resuls for some antivirus from February this year:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_02.php

I said CAVS had 50%, but that was from old test, so I’ll post a newer one about CAVS:

Cheers,
Ragwing

Interesting test results there especially moon secure which did extremely well considering it’s a new product still in beta.I’m surprised at Nod32 only getting 90% however,it’s usually right up there with the best.Of course this is only one individual test and has to be taken in context.No surprise to see Avira topping the lists :■■■■

Yeah, like andy said, it’s only one out of many tests. Don’t look to much on the results, use one that you feel comfortable one, and try to find some user reviews (now I mean independent user reviews) about the product you’re interested in.

Cheers,
Ragwing