AV Disappeared

Just this morning I have noticed that CIS had been replaced by Firewall and Defense only. I did not do it, I swear (and I did)

I checked and I have not downloaded any file that is not CIS updates and versions. So AFAICS I have not accidentally dld the wrong file.

Has anyone else seen this?

I am re-installing CIS as I write.

Thanks for any help.

Nick

I have never seen this. Can you check the Windows System logs in Event Viewer to see if cfp.exe or cmdagent.exe (Comodo Internet Helper Service) has crashed? Crashes can corrupt configurations.

You are already reinstalling but you could have tried to run the uninstaller and see if you could install the AV part again.

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry but the machine was getting increasingly weird on many fronts. I hope I had no viruses, but I can’t be sure.

However the Even Viewer does seem to have events from before the reinstall. What exactly am I looking for?

In the end I had to reinstall Windows 7. I tried to install CIS as I said, but the firewall programme’s being there stopped it. However the FW was never actually installed. I had to use the Comodo cleanup tool.

There was another programme that started doing the same thing.

Then I suddenly lost the use of my Wireless Network Adaptor, at which stage I gave in and reinstalled Windows.

I ran a scan of the PC after reinstalling CIS, and it did find a few things. I have to assume they slipped through while the AV was not there.

Nick

If there are no events registered for that period then there is nothing to look for. I was wondering if a crash of cfp.exe or cmdagent.exe may have contributed to you loosing the AV. It is of no consequence for a solution but only for trying to understand how it happened.

In the end I had to reinstall Windows 7. I tried to install CIS as I said, but the firewall programme's being there stopped it. However the FW was never actually installed. I had to use the Comodo cleanup tool.

There was another programme that started doing the same thing.

Then I suddenly lost the use of my Wireless Network Adaptor, at which stage I gave in and reinstalled Windows.

I ran a scan of the PC after reinstalling CIS, and it did find a few things. I have to assume they slipped through while the AV was not there.

Nick

Glad you got it solved. Sometimes a complete reinstall is the way to go but it is something I will try not to do until all other options ran out. A clean install is soooo much work.

Well I had spent many increasingly frustrating days on it…what I did was boot from the Win7 DVD, and go through the process: not of repair but of reinstall. It lost me a lot of programmes that I had installed (this is not my “MAIN” machine though) but to my surprise kept all my data and downloaded installers. To my memory that did not happen in past Windows versions. So it was not a true clean install as I agree that can be a pain. It seems to have got rid of the wobblies that the system had.

So, thanks for the input and I agree it would be interesting to know what happened. But a sane mind and functioning machine come first! 8)

I’ll drink to that. First things first… :■■■■