App Ruleset not saved when answer to Alert popup is given While Editing [M1041]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Can be reproduced 100%.

If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:

1. Open settings of Firewall. Go to —> Application Rules
  2. Let any Alert (firewall popup) open to ask an user to allow or block an outbound connection.
  3. Answer with a click to allow or block the connection to an outbound remote ip. The popup is gone, and saved the decision to allow or block.
  4. Continue editing of 1) above the application rules, reorganize rules, move above/below, etc.
  5. Click on OK. Save the rules.
  6. Reopen the Application Rules. You will notice that that the saved condition in 4) is lost.

One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
While reorganizing the application ruleset, there were several alerts that were answered. After continuing the reorganization of application ruleset under firefox and saving by OK, the saved organization were lost.

One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
The application rules should be saved without any loss!

If a software compatibility problem have you tried the conflict FAQ?:
Not applicable.

Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
Not applicable.

Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
The Ruleset file should be locked while working on them. If there is an additional input from Alert that needs to be combined, then it could be saved temporary in a cache. Upon saving the Application rules, or clicking OK, both files could be merged.

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:

Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
Not applicable.

Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
I had my customised ruleset active. I did not use one of the three default rulesets.

Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 5 or CIS6?:
Not applicable.

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Win 7 Ultimate 32bits.

Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
Not applicable.

Thank you for submitting this bug report. So, if I am understanding this correctly, is this issue essentially that if you are in the middle of editing an already existing Firewall Ruleset (with the editing window open) and at the same time you answer firewall popups that create rules of their own, that the changes made while editing are lost even after selecting OK?

If I am understanding correctly, than are the changes lost both if remember my decision is checked on those popups and whether remember my decision is not checked?

Thanks.

Hi Chrion,

Regardless of whatever that is, I do not want you to repeat what you did earlier and change my posts.

I strongly oppose any kind of censorship imporsed by moderators. It works out as if I have to first convince the moderator of this forum, who will rework the idea and then ut forward.

Thats not my understanding of making a bug report or wishes.

If I find this, I will simply stop as it strickly contradicts my principles.

To your question for clarification:

Yes, when I save the Alert decision, it overwrites the currently edited changes in Application rules.

In the middle of firewall editing, an alert may come up, if the browser was launched or active. Then, in that situation, the bug will be fired.

When I click on remember, only then it happens, atleast to my knowledge. I have not observed, to see what happens if I did not click on remember…

I understand and will not modify your first post.

However, please edit the following areas

2) Let any Alert open to ask an user to allow or block.
3) Answer to allow or block.

to make it more clear that this is referring to a firewall popup which you received at the same time you were editing the rules. It is not clear from the current wording that this is what is happening.

Also, please let me know which OS you are running. Is it Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.1?

Also, please create and attach a diagnostics file to your first post. If you have any questions about how to do that please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Hello Chrion,

I have modified the reprodice area foer a better understanding.

OS was mentioned earlier, as now.

Diagnostic file is not necessary because this has nothing to do with any local configuration on my workstation. It has something to do with concurrent file editing, which should not be permitted, or a different solution must be programmed.

I suppose the diagnostics file is probably not necessary for this issue. The reason I originally asked for it was because it could provide helpful information in case the devs are not able to reproduce this on their computers. However, I agree with you and believe this is likely reproducible.

As for the OS, I just looked again, and all I see is

Win Ultimate 32bits.

Please specify which version of Windows, not just x32 or x64, you are using. This information is required for me to properly fill out the form in the tracker.

Thanks.

Hi,

Because you are used to a nursery methods employed by a school teacher, you want me to fill out Win 7 Ultimate in there, right? Or you did not know that Win Ultimate is a very accurate description of Win 7 Ultimate?

Win Ultimate is the only operating system Microsoft ever made having the name Ultimate under Windows. When one says Mellinium, then one means Windows Mellinium too.

Thereafter, they started a complete different technology to interface with BIOS, from Win 8 versions. Thats the reason why Microsoft declared as an Ultimate, and the last, version 7 of its kind, as well as all versions based on this technology. Hence the name Ultimate is significant.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again.

However, in the future please consider that not everyone knows all answers. I’m sure there are plenty of things I know which you don’t. That said, you can be sure that if you were to ask me a question you do not know the answer to, but I did, that I would have the courtesy to answer it politely. Still, thank you for answering my question. I am always happy to learn.

Hi Chrion,

My anger on you, about deleting my work in the other forum of placing a wish to be forwarded to devs, is not yet over. I am still furious on you, let me say honestly.

That was my first message and the way how you handled it, although with all your excellent intention through kind and polite words blended with a lot of paitence and tolerance, I had a nightmare.

I took a lot of time to think over it and make points listed properly from a technical perpective, which you showed a phenomenal carelessness to my idea.

Further, while you are doing an excellent job, I do think that these are areas that Comodo Staff must overtake. Here, they can follow internal company’s policies, etc.

Many thanks for all. I have all the less interest to place my creativity and technical competence here, and thats because of you.

The devs have not been able to reproduce this issue, and have requested that I ask you to kindly create a video showing this issue and attach it to your next reply. If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask.

Thank you.

PM reminder sent.

Hi,

I am not using Comodo anymore, especially after discovering major mistakes in the programming at conceptual level as well as such minor details as mentioned above.

Further, my frustration was added by your behaviour, the manner how you had handled with my messages or bug reports.

All I could do now is to confirm the bug report to say that I was able to reproduce all the times it had happened. Due to this, I needed to stop editing the Ruleset, when I was using Comod firewall.

I now use Net-Peeker. After using this lovely software, I no longer need to use any features of Comodo. Also, all my feature request in the other thread is included in this software.

Using it it gives me the belief that it could have been made or developed precisely tailor made on my wish in the other thread to develop Comodo.

If those features are missing, as mentioned in my wishlist for Comodo and available in Net-Peeker, any other firewall is just a stupid piece of garbage. I fail to understand how people could develop or use a firewall without those feature request.

Thus, it is no longer interesting or imortant for me to use Comodo, or visit this forum, or observe stupid or stringent activities I have experienced in this forum.

Regardless of this, the entire approach of Comodo is not bad but when those features are missing Comodo is worse. If those features are included in Comodo, I - even today - d think that it could be the best software in the world.

However, due to your intervention, my wishlist belongs to the garbage in the other forum.

Concluding, there will be no video from me or any waste of my time any further on this aspect. Let this remain. I do not care anymore. Adding to my report, I could say that I used Windows 32 bits of Ultimate. Windows 7 + Comodo would be the only software that would play a role in execution of this bug. But that is mentioned in my bug report.

The worst is that I have the license of Comodo for three years. Since I found this software to be terrible, I have decided not to pass on to a different chicken and victimize an innocent citizen.

I’m sorry that you feel that way. However, as the devs have not been able to replicate this, and no video can be produced, I am forced to move this to Resolved, as it cannot be replicated on the devs machines.

If in the future you are able to create a video showing this behavior please reply to this topic with the video and I will move it back for processing.

Thank you.