Antispam wont import Outlook Addresses

Hi

Hope some one can help.

The option to import my Outlook contacts into the authentication database is greyed out.

[ See attached screenshot ( i have “painted out” my email address), hopefully !]

I am using Win7
Outlook 2007
Antispam v2.6

tia

Freddy

http://

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi Freddy,

That’s a strange occurance. Are you sure your accounts are setup correctly? What happens when you select “Specific Account”?

One workaround is to export your outlook contacts to a CSV file. (in outlook, file>>>Import/Export >>> Export to file (windows csv), select the contacts folder and then click finish) Then back in CAS click "import whitelist from CSV file.

It does look like your CAS isn’t installed properly. You get the option to import outlook contacts when you install CAS. Did you skip this step?

Hi Erid,

Thanks for your helpful response.

If I select " Specific Account" it is still the same, greyed out !

I did your workaround anyway, that does import the csv file OK and puts addresses in the database. Its a bit messy though as everytime a new address is added in Outlook would mean you have to do this !

I tried re-installing CAS, and the option to import from outlook on install is also greyed out, see attached
screenshot ( Also tried install as adminstartor just in case, same result).

Later on in the install process it did spot my outlook mail account, and i ticked it, but the options to import when the program is installed are just the same :frowning:

Any further help/thought/ideas much appreciated

tia

Freddy

[attachment deleted by admin]

You can reduce the number of addresses you need to add by ticking the ‘automatically add the recipients of outgoing emails to whitelist’ box on the authentication tab. Addresses from received emails are added to the whitelist as you ‘allow’ them or by the challenge process. Allowing domains instead of individual senders reduces hasssle too.

Its a good idea to import a CSV file from your sent items box too, as this will ensure that the whitelist is more comprehensive.

BTW. What version of Outlook do you use? CAS appears not to recognise it!!!

Mouse

Hi Mouse

Thanks for your sugestions, which I already have selected so yes, that will definelty help.

Im using Outlook 2007, weird issue isnt it, still hoping a genius will provide solution !!

cheers

Freddy

I’d try backing up whitelists (to a different location), doing a complete unistall inc all settings, deleting all directories (under Docs & settings/app data as well as program files), rebooting, running Comodo registry cleaner, rebooting, and then re-installing.

If you can stand the pain. No guarantees I am afraid.

Mouse

Hi Mouse

ref the regsrty cleaner, do you mean the Comodo system cleaner ?

I’m a bit wary as now using Windows 7. I know you cant give guarantees but how well will the system cleaner work with Win 7

If you reckon it will be OK I’m prepared to give your suggestion a go :slight_smile:

cheers

Freddy

Yes. the system cleaner.

Create a restore point, and make sure you know how to use it, and you should be OK. But I’m not using Windows 7, so cannot comment for sure. Works fine for me (despite complex and unusual applications) under windows XP.

Alternatively, or perhaps additionally you could manually remove the keys as far as I remember all or most keys have ‘Comodo Antispam’ somwhere in their registry address. I have used this approach myself sucessfully.

Since you are running under 7, you may also want to check whether authority issues are creating the problems you describe. CAS is really an XP app, so its going to assume permanent admin level authority on installation, and largely unfettered registry access. Maybe check the logs around the time you installed, to see if windows prevented any installation action occurring.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi Mouse

Thanks for all your help, but you were taking me a little past my comfort zone, and in the end i’ve decided not to use CAS, and resort back to my previous email anti spam program.

I’ve done this a bit reluctantly as I am a great admirer of the comodo range of products, especially Comodo Internet Security, and use them wherever i can.

best regards

Freddy

Good morning.

I’m having the same issue with respect to selecting the e-mail application from which to import addresses. The only option is to import from outlook express. I am going to add the CSV files, but I wonder if this is due to the fact that I don’t keep my outlook folder in the default location in the file system. I’ve relocated it to allow me to back it up with the rest of my files.

I’m running WinXP and Office 2007 SP2.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, I’d appreciate it.

Thank you,

Bob Foery
bob.foery@gmail.com

Thanks for telling me. Maybe a good call anyway, as CAS has some other troublesome bugs. I understand they are working on a bug fixed version now. Would you mind adding a bug report in respect of this problem?

BTW may be worth checking out the other guys suggestion above. If the problem is due to moving .pst location, woul be good to have this in the bug report.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi Mouse

Ive no issues with you raising a bug report ( I assume you do as I couldnt , or at least i couldnt see how).

My pst files are all in the default locations wherever the defaults are on standard install.

best regards

Freddy

Bug reports are raised here: https://forums.comodo.com/antispam/comodo_antispam_bug_reports-t39225.0.html

Regrettably I cannot raise one as details of your system are required. (BTW I’m just a user like you, nothing to do with Comodo).

Please do take the time to raise one!

Mouse

It appears that the other user’s problem is not due to a differently located .pst file. Yours maybe of course - you could find this out by moving the file to its normal location, registering the new location with outlook, then de-installing and re-installing antispam. Would be good to know if you can spare the time

Also if you can manage it please complete a bug report here: https://forums.comodo.com/antispam/comodo_antispam_bug_reports-t39225.0.html

If you and he do so, it may be possible to indentify a common cause. Also it may gve me the information needed to hit on a solution by other means.

BTW for users of gmail, an SSL based account, its important to allow CAS to modify your settings in Outlook, if asked, else CAS cannot communicate with Outlook.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi Mouse,

Moving the PST file did not solve the problem. The only e-mail application that the Import Authenticated Users screen allows me to select is Outlook express. I’m running Office 2007 SP2, AntiSpam 2.6.0.0 and XP Professional SP3.

I’m entering a bug report now.

Thank you,

Bob Foery
bob.foery[at]gmail.com

I think the bug report (very clear, thanks) gives me an idea about what may be going on.

CAS does not support MS Exchange as far as I am aware, and I know that Exchange normally uses online address books, and operates in a special way with offline address books. My guess is that this is what is upsetting CAS.

To test this you could try 1) Disconnecting from Exchange then installing CAS if this fails 2) creating an Outlook profile that accesses only your internet email service, then logging on to this profile, and installing CAS. If you need more guidance re doing ths, I’ll try and help.

Hope this helps, best wishes

Mouse