Anti-Spyware Software?

Hi Guys

Just wondering what Anti-Spyware software you are all using :). Before re-installing my laptop, I was using Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster. I’m currently using Windows Defender. Is that enough? Btw, I’m using CAVS 2.

:slight_smile:

All AS’s have low detection rates relative to AV’s, so if you’re seeking for detection then you need more than one AS. I currently have SUPERAntispyware.

Here’s a good thread: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4845.0.html

There seems to be a lot of support on security sites for a-squared free, which I have, and like.

SAS seemed very invasive, for an on-demand only scanner. Hooked into virtually every program on the computer. Wanted to phone home. Kept pushing me to buy the full version. Bah! ;D

LM

Maybe weaklings will be fooled, but as long as you don’t dip your hands into the alluring terrority (i.e the “advanced options”) there aren’t any ads to bug ya! But the hook thing does seem right. Who’d want a hand with a hook? Captain Hook? I’ll follow your advice & ditch it next month when CFP 3 is finalized.

Spyware Terminator or Spybot S&T certainly gave more options, and ST offers real-time protection. Which, by the way, was the first way I knew SAS was hooking into everything. The second was the FW - every single application fired an alert that it was changed at the component level, and every component, when checked, was for SAS…

The ads, well, they were all from trying to use features that weren’t accessible to the free version. I just think that’s cheesy to do (although certainly a lot do it). A2 doesn’t seem to; at least, I have not encountered it yet.

LM

Windows Defender looks good but it doesn’t seem very configurable (not like Microsoft Anti-Spyware, as it used to be). Anyhow, I’ve decided to re-install Spybot S&D again (with TeaTimer) and I’ll see how they all get on.

Edit: I was also using the free version of System Safety Monitor (for protecting the registry, services, startup items, etc). I’m guessing (hoping) that Windows Defender covers these areas also.

Just had a quick look at Spyware Terminator and it looks quite good :). I’m going to download this and give it a try/test.

I started out with Spybot for years. In the end it was several months that I couldn’t find anything, so I replaced this classic with Spyware Terminator. ST didn’t last long as it also didn’t find anything except one false positive. The support team never replied to my email >:(, or my suggestions on their forum. So that was the end of the story. (:WAV)

Hi All! (:WAV)

I’ve been running my weekly on-demand scans of Ad-Aware PE and Spybot S&D for what seems lke many years now. Added Microsoft’s antispyware → Windows Defender when it came out. These seem to satisfy my needs without needing to purchase any of the retail products.

I tried many products. But currently I have A-squared as Real-time scanner (now with BOClean). Counterspy is also very nice.

Welcome to the forum.
I have also had Ad-Aware and Spybot for a long time, but decided to get rid of them, because they never found anything. Even an occasional on-demand scan became “too much work”. (:LGH) (I don’t mean these program are no good, far from it).

Thanks user4 (:HUG)

I agree Ad-aware and Spybot are both “long in the tooth”. That’s what ultimately brought me to the Comodo forums; looking for promising replacements! For AT; finding & installing BOClean (at least on one of my systems to check it out) seems to fill the bill.

Regarding AS; so far SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), AVG Anti-Spyware, Spyware Terminator and Spyware Blaster have risen to the surface as current considerations; possibly in that order. I haven’t decided yet… :THNK

Regards,

I believe there is a new version of Ad-aware due out pretty soon, the beta versions of this are currently available from the Lavasoft site and there have been a lot of copies downloaded. The latest beta appears quite promising - we shall see.

Not sure, but I think there are some improvements to Spybot due soon also.

:SMLR

You can always use Spywareblaster, no matter what else you use. It only makes some changes to the system and as they say “unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background”. It won’t get in the way of other programs.

I’ve used spywareblaster and spywareguard for a long time. They do a great job. I also have a-squared-free and avg-antispyware as on-demand scanners.

To be honest, I test these things, but I haven’t seen any malware on my system in years. In my opinion, use a good browser (firefox or opera), a good firewall (CFP :slight_smile: ), be sensible about your surfing habits and for the most part you will not have any trouble.

I’m gradually reducing my security applications, as they seem like over kill to me. When I read some forums, I see people with 6 or 7 applications installed, all running simultaneously! Is it REALLY necessary? I don’t think so.

When CFP3 arrives I will probably be down to just, spywareblaster and spywareguard, although I’ll probably keep avg for on-demand.

Toggie

Spywareblaster is only beneficial if you’re using IE and to a lesser extent, FF. Opera doesn’t use any ActiveX. It’s kind of like a host file to block bad sites.

Agreed, but it’s useful to prevent tracking cookies.

There’s no need for any AS to block cookies because they can be blocked by a browser. Besides, most of the time cookies are only required when logging in, such as with this forum. This means cookies should be blocked by default.

(:NRD) You win Mr Soya :slight_smile:

I guess it’s just habit, maybe it’s time to move on… :slight_smile:

For anyone who has used Ad-Aware in the past there will be a new free version out in June - going off the latest beta product I think this new version may be a good addition to anyones protection. Might be worth trying out until CPF3 is out and the new super-duper CAVS is ready.

:SMLR