Allow User To Enable/Disable All Firewall/Defense+ Rules [M566]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently Comodo Internet Security does not have the ability to enable / disable the below configurable items (CI) so that users can edit/add/delete rules and not have to edit/add/remove a rule/ruleset for every change.

• Firewall > Application Rule / Global Rules > Application Rule
  • Firewall > Application Rule / Global Rules > Application Rule > Individual rules
  • Defense+ > HIPS > Application Rule
  • Defense+ > HIPS > Application Rule > Individual rules

The only other approach which exists is to export the configuration, edit/add/delete rule/ruleset and then test. If it doesnt work / works then switch between exported configurations.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
I would like to see this behavior changed so that users can have the ability to enable / disable individual CI.
As one can imagine the export process referred above is not a friendly user process. If users were able to just disable rules, instead of being forced to remove them, it would make many processes much simpler.

This could be made to look like the enable rule option for the Beta Auto-Sandbox (screenshot attached), although I would like to see if for every window where multiple rules are stored.

3. Why you think it is desirable:
The lack of this behavior means every time I want to add a rule/ruleset or test a new rule/ruleset in either Firewall/Defense+ settings I have to remove the CI and then add it back it. Being able to just disable one, and add another rule, would be much simpler as you can quickly go back a forth.

4. Any other information:
Personally from a GUI perspective I believe disabled rules should be shown in grey background with red foreground text for that item in the CI list .
There exists a wish - https://forums.comodo.com/verified-wish-reports-cis/wish-for-auto-activationdeactivation-of-individual-rules-based-on-time-m1042-t103345.0.html;msg751835#msg751835 that is an enhancement over this wish but it goes further to mention timers / time bound limits without explicitly referring to the basic need to allow enable/disable CI.

Also this wish was already posted earlier in multiple posts over the years but was sadly never actioned / responded upon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You mean something like the “Enable Rule” in the screenshot below but also for all of the different areas you mentioned like global rules etc?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mohan, thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I made some changes to your first post. Does everything look correct?

Sanya, I hope you don’t mind, but I stole your screenshot and attached it to the first post. It seemed like a very useful thing to include for clarifying purposes. :wink:

I don’t mind but Mohan might have meant something else, which is what I wanted to establish. Personally I prefer consistency which is why I think using the same “Enable Rule” toggle that is in Auto-Sandbox settings in v8 beta is a good fir for the global rules and application rules etc.

@Chiron - Cheers reads good and the screenshot helps.
@Sanya - Thanks for the screenshot.

The representation in the screenshot ties in with hopefully the development teams existing UI reusable components thus hopefully an easier implementation task.

I’m happy to hear that. I just added a poll. Does the wording seem correct to you?

Thanks Chiron wording reads good,
Appreciate the poll thought that would get added only after it went into the waiting area.

It gets added before, any votes gets reset after being moved to waiting area.

It always gets added before so I can make sure the person who submitted the Wish Request agrees with the wording. Also, I only reset the votes if the wording of the first post or poll changes. If those stay the same I don’t bother resetting the poll because anyone who voted read the same Wish. However, it is best practice to wait until it’s in the Waiting Area before voting on wishes. That way you don’t have to worry about it being reset.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

+1 Something useful :-TU