Add Option To Change Network Type Directly From "Manage networks" Screen [W24]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently, there is no way to set network to “public” or “uncheck” allow \ deny network using Manage networks window, once you set it. You can choose to trust the network or block it. However, there is no option to reselect either Home, Work, or Public if you change your mind after the initial popup.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
I suggest adding a 3rd radio button \ network type (Public network) to be added in addition to 2 that already exists (Trusted and blocked network). This will allow users to change the network type, and thus undo any rules which were created for the originally selected network type.

3. Why you think it is desirable:
This will add flexibility to the “Manage Networks” screen, and will allow more control over the networks (without manually editing global rules). It will also make it much easier for users who accidentally select the wrong network type to change it back without any hassle.

4. Any other information:
None.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry for not being able to respond to this sooner. Things have been very busy for me lately.

For this issue, are you talking about the Global Rules, the Network Zones, or a different part of the interface? I’m still a little bit unclear about this, and I want to make sure it’s completely clear for everyone who will be voting.

Thanks.

I mean when CIS detects a new network you can choose it as home \ work or public network right? If you choose “public” nothing happens (rules wise), and if you choose “home” or “work”, come global and some program rules are created, right?

So let’s say you chose home network, and allow rules were created for that network. Now what if later you decide to “untrust” this network? The only way to do so now is to go to global \ program rules and manually delete “allow” rules for this network.

Now I basically suggest being able to do so using GUI (Manage networks), since that’s what you’re supposed to do with it right, manage networks? But right now you can only trust or block network there (everything goes or nothing goes), and you can’t set it back “public” (allow all out and block all in), or it isn’t obvious.

Okay, I understand. You would like to be able to change the type of network directly from the Manage Networks screen. I see what you mean. I’ve edited the first post, and the title. Please let me know what you think.

Also, what you wrote in the any other information section does not really belong in this topic. It should probably be removed, and a new topic created for it. It is certainly worthy of its own topic.

Thanks.

In section 2, I don’t really ask for “a button which will delete “Allow all in” and “Allow all out” rules for selected network from global rules”. I basically ask for a 3rd radio button \ network type (Public network) to be added in addition to 2 that already exists (Trusted and blocked network). And so that global \ program rules (if needed) would be automatically created \ deleted based on what network type is currently selected.

Other than that - looks fine.

Okay, I edited the first post again. Please let me know if it is correct?

Also, would you mind if I removed your comment from the other information section? I don’t want that to confuse any discussion which follows after this is moved to the Waiting Area.

Thanks.

Yes that’s correct. And you can delete section 4.

Personally I think we should get rid of “home” and “work” network, since there’s no difference between them (Rules wise), and use “Trusted” “Public \ Untrusted” and “Blocked” instead, but I guess that’s for seperate wish.

I don’t know if there’s any plans to make differences in the future, but one reason I can see to keep both would be so that those using it both in a home or work setting know which to choose instead of public. I believe that, for example, if there were only home and public, that those using it in a corporate setting would be much more confused over which to use when configuring it for use with their networks. However, we can discuss that in a different topic.

Also, I added a poll. Does it look correct to you?

Thank you.

Yes, it’s good.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I’m sorry, but as it has been 6 months since the Wish Request has been submitted, and it has not received the required 15 points, I am forced to move this Wish Request to Rejected. I hope you understand.

Please note that if you wish you are allowed to create a new Wish Request for this same wish as long as you wait at least 1 month since the time it was moved to Rejected. This only applies to Wish Requests which were moved to Rejected because they sat in the Waiting Area for 6 months without receiving the necessary 15 points, and were moved to Rejected only for that reason.

Thank you.