Add Option For Users To Choose Where To Add New Tasks In Taskbar [M1175]

1. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently, you can add tasks on the task bar from only on the right-most side of the list. Users that desire a custom tasks order will notice that every task is added first and not last on the task bar.
Users with a custom order will have to modify the whole task bar again just to move that recently added task to last position. It also pushes a task which you may have wanted on the front to the second page.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:
The user should be given a choice as to whether to add the new task shortcut to the beginning of the list (on the left) or the end of the list (right-most position, even if it is on a different page).

To do this user’s could be presented with two options after right-clicking on a CIS task. The first would be to add the new task shortcut in the left-most position, and there should also be an option to add the new task-shortcut in the right-most position.

To clarify this, let’s say we have a vector of tasks,
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Now assume we want to add task [6]

(currently this is the only way it can work)
[6] [1] [2] [3] [4] | [5]

(however, if this wish is fulfilled the user could choose)
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] | [6]

3. Why you think it is desirable:
This will give users the ability to position the task shortcuts in the configuration which works best for their individual needs.

4. Any other information:
None.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I understand why this may be bothersome to some users. However, if the default is changed such that new tasks are added on the right I worry that it may upset those who prefer them to be added on the left. Thus, it may become possible that after this is implemented I have another user who submits a Wish Request asking that new tasks be added on the left.

Is there a reason why everyone should prefer new tasks to be added on the right instead of the left?
If not, then perhaps this wish could be altered such that it requests what you mentioned in your other information section. This Wish Request could ask for users to be presented with a selection of adding it either on the left or on the right.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Currently, by adding them to the left you also mess with the widget arrangement. That might be a bit frustrating.
I do not mind if the users have a choice. But only devs should consider the appropriate method if they will add such a side-feature, my opinion.

True, but for some users couldn’t it be frustrating the other way around as well?

The trick is in balancing the request for all users. Would you be opposed to changing this so it asked for a choice for users, or am I misunderstanding your reasoning?

Thanks.

Actually, that only proves that right-to-left was not intended from my point of view.

I would never oppose it. It’s what users want- they vote. :slight_smile:
For me, as COMODO user, I agree with the user-prompt as long as it won’t nag me (every time) with a message.

How does that prove it? I think I am misunderstanding part of your argument.

My thinking was that when you click on a task instead of just providing the option to Add to taskbar, it could have two options:

1. Add to left of taskbar
    or
  2. Add to right of taskbar

How does that sound?

Thanks.

Because it messes with the widget. Let’s say the user gets first page of the task bar full. These are considered most frequently accessed tasks by the user. Thus, the first page will be shown in the widget.
If he adds another one then he will have to redo everything on the first page. It does not look intended.

It is a solution- it’s ok. However, I do not want to write the explicit solution. COMODO should consider the most elegant solution.
That’s what I truly wish.

I agree with you, at least most of the way. However, the other side of the coin is that a user may be wanting to add a new task such that it shows up on the first page, and not the 2nd. Thus, they would still run into a major problem.

I understand, and after your previous explanation I am no longer convinced it is the best solution either.

It seems that the biggest problem is that a task can be added, and either be pushed to the 2nd screen (where it is not immediately visible) or push another task to the 2nd screen. Would you agree that is the major issue you are trying to address?

If so, perhaps a better approach is to reconsider how tasks are displayed. For example, perhaps instead of hiding them on a 2nd screen, it could create a 2nd row on the main screen for tasks. I think that, along with your other wish about fixing the re-ordering of apps, would go a long way towards addressing this for everyone.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

That could be a nice approach. However, it seems as a different wish. Maybe you should create a topic for that. Please note, the user should have control on the pages displayed. Perhaps even the option on displaying it horizontally or vertically. It would be interesting.

I do not want this wish to be ignored either. It should be forwarded for voting and then taken in consideration by the devs. :smiley:
I’m sure that devs will consider these aspects.

Thank you.

Understood. In that case I have modified the first post, and the title, for the idea of allowing the user to choose left or right. Please look it over and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

It’s fine.

Okay. I just added a poll, but am not sure that the wording is optimal. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions for alternative wording.

Thanks.

I’ve rephrased the poll. Is it okay?

Thank you.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

This wish could be implemented as a registry edit. I wonder why some consider it a waste of resources. 88)
Oh well.

[...] However, I do not want to write the explicit solution. COMODO should consider the most elegant solution. That's what I truly wish.

Hi Guys,
Hasn’t this wish been fulfilled with the ability to Drag’n’Drop tasks to your preferred location?

Thanks.

Seems fixed. Moving to “Added/Rejected” section.

Thanks for checking.