Active Process List entries with no name ("Ghost" Entries) [251]

Sometimes, Defence+ displays a nonexistent process in the Active Process List.

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Made a clean install of CIS 5, rebooted. The problem occurred only after the first reboot, I have never spotted it again.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: I saw an empty (non-descriptive) entry in the Active Process List.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: not applicable
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Restarted a PC.
  5. Details (exact version) of any software involved with download link:
  6. Any other information you think may help us:

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: See the attachment
  2. Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list: See the attachment
  3. A CIS config report or file.
  4. Crash or freeze dump file:

Your set-up

1. CIS version & configuration used: CIS v 5.0…1135 FW only. Proactive security
  2. Whether you imported a configuration, if so from what version:
  3. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: Both were in Safe mode.
  4. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Windows 7 Ultimate x86 running under an administrator account. UAC disabled.
  5. Other security and utility software running: Avira Antivir
  6. CIS AV database version: not applicable

[attachment deleted by admin]

https://forums.comodo.com/orphanedresolvedoutdated-issues-cis/active-process-list-entries-with-no-name-ghost-entries-v50x-t61683.0.html

already know bug.

Thanks for making this report in the requested format.

I will move this now to verified issues

Best wishes

Mouse

in the last days i noticed that after some time after windows start-up an unknown process appears in the Active process list under Defense+ tab. The unknown process has no company, user name, it isn’t sandboxed and has an unknown verdict. I tried to terminate it without success, it doesn’t appear in the task manager process list, tried to kill it using windows shell and received the message “no process with that pid”. Tried to submit it to comodo without success, error message : “Failed to open file”

Is this an Active process list bug or maybe there is some unknown malware on my machine ?

This is a known APL bug I will merge your report in with that trace. Thanks for reporting it.

The bug/issue

1. What you did: just used my computer as normal
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: programs that have been closed are still showing up in comodos active process list
  3. What you expected to happen or see: the programs that arent running arent in the list
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: i tried to terminate the programs but wouldnt terminate and i used process explorer to verify the programs are closed
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes?:n/a
  6. Details (exact version) of any application involved with download link:n/a
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: run ie or ccleaner then close them and check the active process list they will still be there
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons):i had this same problem when i had the full suite on my win 7 pro 32 bit system.

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: screenshot of active process list and process explorer from the same state/time on computer
  2. Screenshots of related event logs or the active processes list:n/a
  3. A CIS config report or file.n/a
  4. Crash or freeze dump file:n/a

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used:comodo firewall - internet security
  2. Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4, if so have you tried reinstalling?:fresh install
  3. Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS, if so have U tried a preset config?:no
  4. Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level:d+ - safemode firewall - safe mode
  5. OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type:win 7 pro 64 bit uac disabled admin
  6. Other security and utility software running:microsoft security essentials
  7. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box):n/a

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for reporting this in the correct format. It is a known issue so I will merge the reports

Best wishes

Mouse