About Comodo 2.0 version

Based on what I think I’ve heard (can you sense the confidence?), Vista versions will most likely have release dates in 2007.

I just did a quick search and see that the question has perviously been asked here and here… and luckily (for my sanity sake) they concure with my 2007 thought. :wink:

Any news is welcome. Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:
(B)

Yep, I’d like an idea as well. I’m looking forward to getting my email scanned again ;D

(S)

Yes, my Outlook 2003 and CAV took long walks on the beach together while I sat there waiting for mail to come in. :smiley: Maybe the fact I typically let 200-400 e-mails queue up on my ISP’s server had something to do with it :wink: (I use MailWasher to browse what’s sitting out there)

It was odd how the CavAUD.exe would to pin my system in spurts while playing LAN games… I’m hoping the new “Updater” update (today or yesterday [it’s all a blur after a days work]) fixed that… Or wait, that was the “Program Updates Version” that increased… not updater… hence prob nothing to do with CavAUD.exe… oh well :wink: (let’s just call this paragraph a “bridge to nowhere”)

I’ve actually decided to try another full systems scan in CAV today… Maybe absense makes the heart grow fonder, but CAV 1.1 feels alot snappier now… and of course as I typed that and looked over at the scan progress, it’s “stopped updating the file/folder counts” as it has reached a folder with 28 zip/rar files totalling 130Mb. I don’t think CAV “hangs” on folders, just doesn’t share the progress as it rips through big archive files / collections.… Ah, might be speaking too soon again… it is on this same folder that CavSn.exe almost hits 100% CPU, where are the rest of the time it was down around 20%, with the odd spike as high as 60%.

At any rate, I’m going to test CAV/Outlook again today and post back my results. Maybe with all these updates, CAV 1.1 is coming into its own in spite of CAV 2.0 being on the horizon. :slight_smile:

Yes… 'twas wishful thinking Ryan. Same issues as before.

But at least I’ve made 2 observations on CAV 1.1:

• I don’t think CAV “hangs” on folders, just doesn’t share the progress as it rips through big archive files / collections.
  • e-mail scanning is slow with Outlook 2003. If all e-mails were under 2K, I could get by, but sometimes the delay while processing an e-mail as small as 40K is enough to trip a timeout.

My hopes for Cav 2.0 have been renewed.
(V)

Yes, I was hoping that it would be available upon my return but I’ll wait. I know it will be worth it. I’ve got 160 work from home employees that I’d love to recommend it too. (L)

Wow, that’s a pretty large circle of influence (compared to mine)!
(CLY)

I have a lot of friends and family members I would love to recommend it too also. But unfortunately I cannot recommend an unfinished product. However I can’t wait for the final realease (get all my family to stop using avast!)

My NOD32 subscription will be up for renewal in a few weeks. I hope that Comodo will have a useable CAVS by then. I tried the present release and found it to be de-stabilizing to my system.

CAVS is usable right now, they don’t have the best detection (yet) but it is getting there.

Sorry, but it’s still a long way for CAV to reach NOD32 level.

RejZor .
You are absolutely correct on this . I think it has GREAT potential but , it is a VERYYYYY long way from being that good !!! If this were their only product , it would take quite sometime to get up to that level ( NOD ) . They are working on many things and I have to wonder if the AV is a little too much to have to deal with right now . it is important but , it takes alot of work and upkeep . I think the HIPS that MAY come soon , will be kick ■■■■ stuff though . That may make up for any shortcomings of the AV .

Each product has its own dedicated team, so I don’t think other products influence too much on each other.

Mike

Mike .
I had no idea they were that big . Very cool then . If you are correct , my guess would be 4 months minimum to get where it is feasible to replace what you use now . Only a guesstimate . I cannot see this becoming great anytime soon . It will be fun to watch though . Some interesting reading thus far though . I hope it continues on this path . Could be something great .

Yes, Comodo are actually quite a large company. They are the second largest SSL provider behind Verisign.

The idea of all these products is to gather trust from users to get more people purchasing SSL certificates, to increase their revenue - and this business plan is working - which allows further financial backing for the free products.

CAVS is going to get quite a few new features (mainly for its antispyware part soon) and detection is fast improving with a recent increase by 3,000 signatures and soon another 10,000 signatures.

Mike

We have lots of signatures already, large enough to be as good as anybody in the market place, but engine’s architecture was such that it needed work to utilise these. So as we improve the engine’s architecture you will see detection improving in leaps and bounds. Plus there is no other AV product in the market that is using a true “whitelisting” approach for creating a clean environment. I want to change that too! In a great Comodo tradition, we will continually improve CAVS such that it will be the best in the market place! We are recruiting even more people now for that team so expect good things soon :wink:

Melih

I have no doubts that you will succeed either, Melih

Even though it is still Beta and the architecture is not where it needs to be, it still found a trojan on my PC that Avast and AntiVir could not. I am not saying that the possibility isn’t there for avast and/or AntiVir to catch something CAV would miss, but first impressions are critical in most field and my first impression of CAV was stellar.

(S)

Thanks Ryan

Of course our standards are very high! When we say we are happy with an architecture, you can bet your bottom dollar that its pretty ■■■■ good. Currently CAV architecture is fairly comparable to other vendors and even better in certain scenerios, but I haven’t finished playing with it yet :wink:

Melih

Well I’m certainly looking forward to the next version of CAVS. It has protected my system exceptionally well so far - especially from a nasty P2P virus I had recently ;).

Mike

Gave a thought on what you said and I will agree with you if Comodo were to follow what NOD did and play in their turf. But I don’t think this is what Comodo will do. Instead, they create another playground where they are the pioneer (the whitelisting approach). Whether they will succeed or not is still too early to say but I do hope they will (cause I want free products to keep coming my way) ;D.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

Hey Melih, let us play with the latest incarnation of CAVS as well. :slight_smile:

Laurence