About Application Monitor

Hi to all.

I just want to ask something about application monitor.For some applications which are on my wite list in edit section(when I click on it),under miscellaneous write that are allowed invisible connection attempts.Is this ok?This is the case just for few applications like Flashget and Adobe Reader.
And one more question.Is there any chance that some future version of Comodo Firewall have options to block pop-ups,ads and refferers?Thanks a lot,Comodo is great firewall.

Welcome to the forums, ice (:WAV)

Most of the time the “invisible connection” thing is added through a popup alert that you respond to, (although it can also come from applications on CPF’s internal safelist), that work silently/automatically, in conjunction with another application.

For example, with Acrobat Reader, if you open a PDF file from a website, Reader opens through your browser, to display the file. This would probably qualify as that “invisible” connection.

To answer your question, it depends on the application. Before I would let any application have the ability to connect in the background (invisible), I would want to be sure I know what it is. You can edit the rule, and uncheck that box, if you want.

If you want to be alerted about any application, you can turn off CPF’s safelist by going to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous, and unchecking the box, “Do not show alerts for applications certified by Comodo.” Click OK, and reboot the computer. That way you make sure that no application is allowed to connect to the internet without you specifically allowing it.

Be aware though, that when you reboot, you will start getting alerts for svchost.exe, services.exe, and various other Windows applications, that you’ve never seen before. Some of these may be critical to your internet connection; svchost.exe certainly is, as it is used to refresh your IP address and check the state of your connection. If you block it, you won’t be able to connect to the internet any more.

As for the popup ads, etc from browsing, I think the general consensus from Comodo is that this is best handled by your browser, rather than your firewall. Adding that function to the firewall tends to use unnecessary resources, and is easily accomplished through your browser. I realize, however, that some “Internet Security Suite” applications do offer this function; at the present CPF does not. It has been previously mentioned in the WishList, I believe, which is closely monitored by Comodo.

LM

Thanks a lot for the answer.

No problem, ice; glad to help.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

I highly recommend starting with the hottest firewall FAQ, here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html

LM