A Long Installation Process - Normal?

I’ve been looking at Comodo’s CIS as a replacement for AVG for my school. I don’t mind the manual install of software if it saves money - but I’ve been surprised by the amount of time it takes me to install a fresh copy of CIS - and wondering if it’s normal.

1. Uninstall AVG and reboot. (Reboot #0 - I expect this reboot)
  2. Download the software from Comodo’s site, and install it. Reboot. (Reboot #1 - Microsoft and Panda don’t require a reboot here)
  3. Get updates (Its still been less than 30 minutes since I downloaded the software) - and CIS tells me it must reboot to apply the updates. (Reboot #2 - This reboot frustrates me!)
  4. Get updates AGAIN - CIS claims its never been updated. No reboot required this time.

(I’ve done this on 4 different machines - 2 XP, 1 Windows Server 2008 R2, and 1 Windows Server 2003 - all of the processes were the same.)

I want to give CIS a fair chance - its the only product that will actually install on a Server OS, but its also the highest rated of the free software for catching viruses. Is there a way to avoid the reboots that I’m missing?

Thank you,

Nick Schirmer
Tohoku International School
Sendai, Japan

I also get this. Just leave it alone and the next auto-update should take care of it.

1) Uninstall AVG and reboot. (Reboot #0 - I expect this reboot)
normal reboot to uninstall drivers
2) Download the software from Comodo's site, and install it. Reboot. (Reboot #1 - Microsoft and Panda don't require a reboot here)
This is normal to hook the drivers, very necessary to have strong security
3) Get updates (Its still been less than 30 minutes since I downloaded the software) - and CIS tells me it must reboot to apply the updates. (Reboot #2 - This reboot frustrates me!)
This is needed for the first major update because there are some changes that happen to the core of the program or one of the drivers if I remember correctly.
4) Get updates AGAIN - CIS claims its never been updated. No reboot required this time.
This is normal, actually all of the definitions are already downloaded, as you notice it goes very fast, basically it is just updating the program so that it can use the new definitions.