3.0.17-.22:Lots of Network Connection Problems (MERGED TOPIC)

Comodo firewall blocked my wireless internet connection and didn’t give any clues even though alerts were always popping up for other stuff. Extremely annonying - I had to figure it out myself that the firewall was the problem and shut it down after which the wireless connected OK. I couldn’t fix Comodo to allow the connection so I took the guaranteed route which is:-

UNINSTALL COMODO AND INSTALL SUNBELT KERIO FIREWALL.

After that all OK.

Have you tried manually releasing the DHCP lease and manually renewing it, under this second account?

I didn't try the fixed address on the laptop. I tested a fixed IP on my desktop on Friday where I had the same issues after update, impossible to get an IP from the router.

Enable logging on all rules, clear the logs, reboot and try reconnecting. After a success or a fail, disable logging on all rules (except those you want to log) and have a look through the logs. This method should trap any blocking that CFP is doing.

Ewen :slight_smile:

My personal opinion, although DHCP is horribly convenient, security is about control, and static IPs allow YOU to control the addressing range, not the router.

If your wifi NICs support alternative configs, disable DHCP on the home router, set your home LAN up to use static IPs in an uncommon range (172.16.123.X), set the primary IP address range on the wifi card to use the uncommon address range and set the alternative address to use DHCP (for when you’re away from home.

Just a thought. :wink:

Nothing?

I take it your using a wireless router GT086,do you have entries for it in Global Rules at the top by using the “Stealth Ports Wizard”
My router and computer “talk” to each other once every hour and a half,are you getting anything in the Firewall logs relating to ports source port 68/destination 67.

Matty

One suggestion to see what is happening-download a copy of wireshark and take a look at the traffic around connection drop. Maybe losing your DHCP lease if it happens every 30 minutes or so. What kind of router are you using? What is your OS? What is your CFP3 version?

Yes, I’m using a wireless router. I’ve also set up rules for it with the Stealth Ports Wizard. Nothing has been showing in the log but I just noticed that none of the global rules have been set to show an event in the log, which might have something to do with that.

Wireshark, I’ll have to look into that. I’m on a Dell 2350 router with Windows XP. And it’s 3.0.18.309 for the Comodo version.

I just went over the log, there’s absolutely nothing in there for either of those ports.

My Dell wireless computers seem to work best when I set a application rule for “System” allowing udp connections to router 192.168.1.255 source port 137-138 and destination port 137-138. Same for the router at my office, except address in 192.168.0.255. I never lose connection anymore with that rule in place.

I just tried to create a rule like that except with the IP address of my router but it said it already exists.

Okay, I fixed the DNS cache issue. I had the DNS Client service set to manual, not automatic. I had assumed like anything else that Windows would start the service when necessary, like every other service, obviously that was not the case. It’s set to auto now and there’s no problem with clearing the DNS cache. I wonder if this will stop the connection from dropping as well. I guess time will tell.

As for the connection dropping issue, I setup a static IP address in the hopes that might help, again, time will tell.

Ok so my network is hosed after updating to version 3.0.19. I see you know about the problem from the bug thread.
What i need to know is where i can get the previous version so it doesn’t take 2 HOURS to transfer a file that took 10 MINUTES before I upgraded. Even disabling the firewall doesn’t get me back to speed, have already permanently disabled defense + today…
Thanks…

Win XP, Marvell Yukon 88E8001 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller Network card.

You can get the previous version at http://filehippo.com/ .

Thanks, any possibility of installing over the newer version…

Don’t know; probably not since it not the update patch. Export your current settings from miscellaneous/manage my configurations, then go ahead and do the uninstall and reinstall. Export the default settings of the new configuration before you import the previous settings in case there is a problem. But use an “import as” instead of a straight import so you can just toggle between the configurations if necessary.

I am a huge fan of Comodo. What is there problem over there? This bug is MASSIVE. And should have NEVER happened. It hosed down my network completely as well. Uninstalled it and everything is back to normal. Lets get it together Comodo. I am losing faith in your products! I would even go as far as saying this could be the deal breaker for me.

Fixing the DNS issue and setting up a static IP did not fix the wireless from dropping out. This is really starting to ■■■■ me off. Anybody have any other ideas?

I’ll add you to the related bug report, but no solution. :frowning:

Problems persist in 3.0.19.318!!!

Sorry for your troubles but Comodo on both my pc’s run perfect. No reason to slam Comodo cause how much did it cost you?..$0000000000

Is this a question or a statement? If it’s a question, yes the problem still persists.