3.0.14.276 (32-bit): Half-Dead GUI

Comodo staff does monitor the forums. They don’t always respond, due to limitations on time/personnel/resources.

I’ll bring some attention to the thread, to make sure they’re aware (doesn’t mean they’ll enter the thread, but they’ll be aware of it).

LM

Thanks LM!
Now I’m sure that the information reached developers and further depends on their ability to solve the problem.
But.
I’m still sure that we all need one general topic - moderated by coders, without users comments:

• issues fixed / to be fixed
  • proposals in work / won’t implement

This will greatly decrease flood of questions and complains, because there is typical loss of communication. For now real corporate slogan may be something like that: Don’t bother us, we think about you! ;D

Hmm, good idea, if I understand you correctly. You’re talking about a locked, stickied thread (one that can’t be posted in by regular users) maintained by Comodo development team, to inform users of the bugs/issues they are aware of and indicate progress (something like: Under Investigation, Issue Reproduced in Lab, Working on Resolution, Issue Fixed in Next Release).

Have I understood correctly?

LM

Yes, something like that.

I’m sorry about our (my & Google translator :wink: ) poor english

Heh, your English is fine. I just wanted to make sure I understood the concept (understanding words is easy; it’s the thought that is sometimes difficult!). :wink:

LM

OK, thanks :slight_smile: Yes, the concept is correct!

Hi,

They are trying to trace down the issue and understand where to look for. When you say CFP, it is not a simple piece of software. there are literally thousands of possibilities. Confirming “Disabling the hips fixes” or “Deactivating the HIPS fixes”, or “Uninstalling X program fixes” means a lot to support people and developers.

This issue has been reported by other users a couple of times. for example if you have Spyware Doctor installed, you may see this issue.

But you need to help us to reproduce the issue: Can you please paste us a screenshot of your process list from “Task Manager”.

Thanks,
egemen

Hey that’s an absolute brilliant idea; I’m sure many users would appreciate such a sticky and locked thread, and the devs as well as users would stop posting indefinitely when something is already under investigation. Hope it’s doable.

I’ve passed the idea along (plus we know Egemen has seen it as well…). Now if everyone experiencing this issue will provide additional info as per his request, that will help the dev team track it down!

Tnx,

LM

Hi Egemen,
here is my morning process list. But I never seen much difference in CFP GUI behavior even if I kill all apps except vital system processes.
Biggest difference is visible when HDD overloaded, - I mean moving large file (e.g. 1.4 gb *.avi) from one logical disk to another (both on same physical disk), - then CFP GUI is absolutely dead (not responding) while other apps just become slower a little bit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry I recently updated from ultramon 2.7.1. to 3.0Beta2.1
The problem is for me since then gone.
Please note however, that I never had a problems with any other program and ultramon2.7.1. before, and I am using it for more than one year. also on the ultramon webpage they are still recommending to use the 2.7.1. version, as the beta has some small glitches. the beta is only recommended for vista compatibility. (I am using XP Pro)

Please check what I posted here https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/3014276_32bit_halfdead_gui-t17314.0.html;msg124123#msg124123 while I was still using the 2.7.1 version. CPF and Ulrtamon where quite heavily interacting… (:NRD)

+ info

there was messages about Logitech SetPoint.exe and cfp.exe interactions, but I think that can be excluded from investigations because for me CFP GUI problems started only since version 3.0.14.273, when I had A4Tech mouse (died), then I tried M$ IntelliMouse Explorer 3 (if you have enemies - give him one) and then Logitech wireless (all with original and updated drivers) - nothing was changed in CFP behavior.

pitzelberger, congratulations! :slight_smile:

v. 3.0.16.295 - issue solved

panic and Little Mac thanks for your help! (:AGL)

Not Here!

Just installed ultramon 2.7.1. and CPF into a virtual machine, and the GUI is still slow while ultramon is running.

pitzelberger,

Do you know the purpose of RTSUltraMonHook.dll? Perhaps that file is something that can be excluded if you know where it falls (parent app that uses it), so that v3 isn’t constantly accessing it. Or perhaps the location that it’s hooking into?

LM

Hm I am not sure.
Actually, it is not “cmdagent.exe” thats accessing the file but “cfp.exe”. ??? So it seems somehow GUI related.

I just tried permanently disabling Defense+ that solves the problem.
Then also cfp.exe stops accesing RTSUltraMonHook.dll like crazy.

On the other hand, I also tried adding a rule for RTSUltraMonHook.dll in “Computer Security Policy”, setting everything to “allow” (because I don’t know how to do better), but that did not solve anything.

Anyway, it is easy to reproduce the problem. I was simply installing Comodo + Ultramon 2.7.1 into a fresh and clean VMware virtual XP machine. And the problem appears directly.

v. 3.0.16.295 - issue NOT solved
On my machine the problem persists!
I have a fresh install of cfp 3.0.16.295 32bit (not an update) and the GUI is still impressive slow! (probably more than previous versions)
The only thing I could discover is that closing Rainlendar (a desktop calendar program http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php) and DM2 (Windows enhancements http://dm2.sourceforge.net/) the CFP GUI returns fairly normal (not really quick, but just enough).
I have XP SP2 and Nvidia GO6600 graphic card (last drivers and updates installed).
Hope to be helpful to discover the cause of this nagging bug!
Regards,
Saxx

Here’s what I’m thinking. Instead of adding a rule for RTSUltraMonHook.dll, look for the rule for CFP.exe, since that seems to be where the problem lies. You’ll find this in the Comodo Firewall Pro group. Double click that main entry to access the settings for all sub-entries. Go to the Protection Settings link. Look for Windows/WinEvent Hooks, which is set for “No” and click the Modify button. This opens the exceptions window. Add that dll file, save all the changes, then Exit the firewall from systray icon. Restart from desktop menu.

I’m not sure if that will resolve it or not, but that’s the sort of steps you’d need to take to exclude it. There’s obviously a lot of activity going on with that dll, and we want to cut that back. I’m thinking that’s the place to start.

Hope that helps,

LM

OK, I tried that. Unfortunately I can not say whether it helps :-\

here what happens:
Exceptions do not work in Protection Settings of Defense+ (v3.0.16.295 x32)

Well, i will add two more applications that are making GUI almost impossible to use. One is Ati Tray Tools and second one is Visual Tasks Tips. There is problem with dll's which these programs use in order to "grab" screen. Comodo is accessing them constantly, and since exception bug introduced in latest build which does not permit exceptions, only cure is not to use these programs.

Hope developers will try to fix these issues, as list of “problem programs” is getting bigger. :frowning: