256 versus 4096 Encryption

Hello,

unfortunately I have created a 256 certificate instead of 4096. Obvously I can not create a new one with the same E-Mail address. Any workaroud? Or recommendation?
Or is 256 enough?

Best.

I think you’re confusing the strength of the cipher (e.g. AES-256) with the strength of the private key.(e.g RSA-2048). My gut tells me that what you have is sufficient enough for the next year. You could always contact support and ask for assistance in revoking the certificate and starting over from scratch. My recommendation is to use what you have now and then when it comes time for renewal, simply “upgrade” at such a time since it will be a new certificate.

Maybe EC 256 bits vs. RSA 4096 bits?

A “256-bit elliptic curve public key should provide comparable security to a 3072-bit RSA public key”.

Considering this thread is in the EMAIL certificate forum + other things, it likely ISN’T ECC-related. :wink: Good thought though! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to all of you. Yes, it is confusing me. Just see the figures 256 and 4096. End-user…But at least I am TRYING to go some steps :slight_smile:

I you are saying: Strong enough and go ahead with it, this is all I need to know :slight_smile:

Thanks. Best.