• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); WinXP Pro SP3 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed; CIS 3.11.108364.552 CFP, CAV, D+
  • How you produced the problem; Used Internal Updater
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; n/a
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); n/a
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; n/a
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; n/a
  • Any other Additional Information; n/a

I just updated through the internal updater. After the update completed, there was no prompt to reboot. CSC wouldn’t open. After rebooting, CSC opened with no problem.

All of my personal settings remained intact except my personal settings for Filter Entries in CDC. I had just my C drive listed in the Selected Items box. After updating, the box contained %computer% and the Properties box returned to the default entries.

--Fixed– I ran a Windows Update and I didn’t get the CPU spike when rebooting the machine. :-TU

All of my backups were left intact. (I had to move my 2 .xml files to the backup folder so the backups would be recognized). Thanks for moving CDCBackup.xml and CPCBackup.xml to the backup folder.

I would ask that when the Application Updater runs, that new updated applications would be de-selected by default. When the Application Updater ran, WordPad was added to my list in CPC and selected by default. If I hadn’t checked the list, running Power Clean would have scanned Wordpad. Under the Windows tab, DLL Cache was also selected by default (I had this one unchecked). I would like ALL settings to remain intact during Program updating and Application updating so I don’t have to check all of my settings every time I use CSC.

I hope these observances help out.

Thanks for the good work guys! CSC is coming along beautifully! :comodorocks:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit): WinXP Pro SP2 64 bit up-to-date
  • Security Software Installed: CIS 3.11.108364.552 CFP, Spybot Search & Destroy
  • How you produced the problem: I ran the program normally
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: restoring the backup (in the System Cleaner)
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): n/a (you can image it according to my explanation)
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any: n/a
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: n/a
  • Any other Additional Information: see next below

First of all, you should consider that I’m using the portable version of CSC. This post is about 2 bugs and one suggestion.

Fixed: “- The bug with Services.exe using to much CPU”

Now this one is definitely not true in my case. Honestly, I haven’t used any version of the v2.0 CSC yet, but I wanted to give a try to this one. After restart I saw that the “services.exe” was eating up my system memory. The CPU useage of it wasn’t more then 50% as far as I saw it, but at the first time it was consuming up over 724.000KB of the memory when my system freezed, and the second time it was over 1GB of the RAM! Althrough the freeze was caused probably by the latest CIS (it’s firewall driver has a bug since a few releases on the x64 XP), services.exe would probably also have killed my System. So please do a quick research about it. I made a backup before executing the cleaning process, but the restoration of it didn’t solve this issue.
Finaly the “Last Known Good Configuration” helped me out with this one, because this failure was inevatible after every restart. (The System Restore is always disabled on my Systems.)
I think it’s important to mention, that my system was reinstalled THIS WEEK (I’ve bought a new system drive), so it’s definitely a bug in CSC. (The old system was installed about 2 years, and I haven’t even started to use this one truly.)

Another bug was that the Disk Cleaner poped up the message with the “unable to create backup” text, but did the cleaning anyway. You should check this also.

The third thing is a litte suggestion for the Disk Cleaner: Some drivers causing to create a folder on the systemdrive, and not in every case can this be avoided. I personally know 3 kind of drivers which are doing this: the chipset drivers of Intel create a folder called “C:\Intel”, the drivers of Nvidia create “C:\nvidia” and the drivers of ati create “C:\ati”. As far as I know, the path of the last 2 can be changed during their installation manually. Anyway, you could add a check for these folders to be deleted, because I don’t think that anyone would you them after the installation of the drivers - and they will stay there if they won’t be deleted manually.

Thanks for your support, and keep up the good work!

Well, the “Last Know Good Configuration” didn’t helped much, because after posting the my previous message and updated the CIS anti-vir database - which required a restart - de event returned. I could somehow manage after the 4th time to get back here, but last time I’ve made a really awful BSOD…
But I’ve got some further informations about the services bug which could be helpful to fix this issue.
First of all, I’m using different system sounds. And I always hearing the “device connected” sound ever since the issue appeared. I’ve also noticed that my UPS can’t be recognized anymore. Furthermore, I was able to check the servies.exe with the Process Exploer, and it starts 2 threads, more precisely: the eventlog and the plug and play manager - which is also responsible for things like detecting my UPS. So, I thing the crash is related to the plug and play manager, which has been probably messed up when I cleaned my system with CIS. Anyway, I made a nice picture for you. If I had to guess, I’d say that the plug and play manager is trying to detect my UPS in an endless loop, and probably that is the main reason for the unstopable memory utilization.
(However, I need to do some more investigation about it, because the previous versions of CIS caused my system to freeze when the DHCP service was enabled, so I hope that this is not a newly introduced bug in the latest CIS - which I installed after the cleaning process with CSC. But the main reason beacuse I it’s CSC’s fault, becuase I saw the “services.exe” was mentioned here.)
Anyway, it looks like to me that I have to reinstall the entire system again to make it work again. I just hope that my report will be useful to you.

P.S.: I’ve forget to mention that I was able to terminate the process with CIS, which caused to automatically restart my system in 1 minute. And when I terminated to process wich wanted to restart the system, it caused a BSOD - so I couldn’t do much about it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

csc_dll still “altered”.
csc.exe version.
.ini

[CSS]
SecureDeletion=1

no GUI for this option

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit); Windows XP 32bit
  • Security Software Installed; NON
  • How you produced the problem; Install on PC with no internet
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; No Internet connection

After install and reboot , entering CSC and going to Disk Cleaner or Privacy cleaner get a CSC.ini missing error and does not get populated.

Worked fine in release 6

I ditto that! I’m still getting the Altered warning mentioned here. Is it safe to use CSC with this warning? I did a clean install and the error is still there.

• OS; WinXP Pro SP3 32 bit
  • Security Software Installed; CIS 3.12.111745.560, Panda Cloud AV
  • How you produced the problem; Installing updates
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; n/a
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any); n/a
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any; n/a
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled; n/a
  • Any other Additional Information; n/a

Whenever I run the application and starts to install updates, it always appears an error message box on each Software -Opera, Vuze, Picassa, etc.- displaying: “Error de instalación”. My language is Spanish and it means: “Installation error”.
Finally it shows me a message telling me that the application list was successfully updated and CSC seems to work fine -at least registry cleaner-

I have observed that in the latest version (.7), the registry entries of recent file list

HKCU\software\MicroSoft Office\11.0\Excel\Recentfilelist
HKCU\software\MicroSoft Office\11.0\Powerpoint\Recentfilelist

is being deleted and the recent file list is gone from these applications. However, for MS Word, the .lnk files are still being listed by CSC and on pressing clean CSC is not able to remove the list. Is there a reason for excluding MS Word for this?

• Your Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
  • Security Software Installed: CIS 3.11, SpywareBlaster
  • How you produced the problem: PerfectDisk 10 system defrag will not run with CSC installed
  • How you tried to resolve the problem: uninstalled CSC
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any): NA
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any:NA
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled: log files have no bearing on this problem
  • Any other Additional Information: I don’t know if version 1 of CSC caused this problem with PerfectDisk 10 system defrag or not. I tried to download version 1 of CSC today, but I got a DNS error and could not download the file. I tried several links for various versions of CSC version 1, but none would work. I don’t know exactly how long I have had this system defrag problem with PerfectDisk 10 because I had it set to automatically do a system defrag every week. The problem could have existed with CSC version 1, but I don’t think so. Anyway, PerfectDisk 10 will do a regular SMARTPlacement defrag, but not a system degrag. It starts to do a system defrag when you set it and reboot the computer, but instead of going ahead and performing the system defrag, the computer reboots again to a screen that asks you if you want to initialize a startup repair or start the computer normally. CSC should not cause interference with other programs like this.

PROBLEM SOLVED:
Run Regedit
Go to Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CFRPD\Start
Change value from 0 to 3 (1 indicates that it starts at System. 3 indicates that it starts manually)

This allows PerfectDisk 10 to complete a boot-time system defrag and does not affect CSC when you want to run it.

EDIT:
I don’t see the post now, but someone said that CFRPD is a file that protects the registry and should not be left set to start manually (3). PerfectDisk Technical Support basically said the same thing, because they said that after PerfectDisk finished the system defrag that CFRPD should be set back to 0. Thus, the conflict that CSC causes with a PerfectDisk system defrag is not really solved. The steps listed above are really just a workaround that allows PerfectDisk to perform a system defrag, but don’t provide a permanent solution to the conflict that CSC causes with a PerfectDisk system defrag.

Here are some more clues, see the attached pictures. I found out, that if I shut down the main thread of services.exe, it stops eating up the RAM with high CPU usage without forcing the system to restart itself. Unfortunetly, the used memory is not recovered after killing the thread. Anyway, I made a picture of the thread’s stack, perhaps this can give you a little more hint.

Also, I kept the log files after runing the CSC, I can post it if you think it’s necessary. The registry backup made by CSC is also available if needed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Security Software Installed; Windows 7 version 7229 86x
  • How you produced the problem; After the registry cleaner was done, I clicked on privacy cleaner then it crashed
  • How you tried to resolve the problem; no
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any);
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any;
  • All log files of CSC, if you had logs enabled;
  • Any other Additional Information;
Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: CSC.exe Application Version: 2.0.9999.7 Application Timestamp: 4ab239c7 Fault Module Name: CSC.exe Fault Module Version: 2.0.9999.7 Fault Module Timestamp: 4ab239c7 Exception Code: 40000015 Exception Offset: 000291b4 OS Version: 6.1.7229.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: 2bfe Additional Information 2: 2bfed3909ee3a91f4f980662a6beb1a2 Additional Information 3: 80d4 Additional Information 4: 80d4d2be3be8884a886f3f3a4c60299b

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

We will fix this for the next release. Thank you for your helpful observation.

Hi,

The services.exe problem will be fixed for the portable version of CSC as well (and XP 64) for the next release.
The error creating backup message is already fixed and will be seen in the next release.
And regarding the Disk Cleaner suggestion, we will look into this possibility.

Thank you for your report and for your support.

Glad to help out. Input from users will help refine CSC into a great product! Already looking forward to the improvements. :wink:

As an aside, is the CSC_DLL.dll “altered” issue being looked into?

Yes, the altered dll is going to be fixed for the next release. Thank you for your support.

The 2007 version of Microsoft Word has specific registry entries for recent files(just like the other modules: Power Point, Excel,…) But the 2003 version doesn’t have these specific registry entries for Word module like the other ones do. Our analyses showed that the only way the recent files for Microsoft Word 2003 can be cleaned is deleting one specific file that also includes user’s personal settings in the program. And this is not an appropriate option.

Thank you for your support.

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit)
    windows xp pro 32bit / windows 7 build 7100
  • Security Software Installed:
    CIS (windows xp) / Avira Antivir (windows 7)
    How you produced the problem:
    installed CSC then run it. is it me or is the top of the window missing? the title bar? or is this a
    ‘funky’ new design? totally transparent title bars?
  • How you tried to resolve the problem
    right click (My) computer->properties->advanced->performance settings->visual effects->
    tried adjust for best appearance then adjust for best performance. same result, missing top window.
  • Screen-shots with the error (if any)

http://0jogvg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pYHAxDw-oVg4nJxB5-lMhlvO_X_SlIojVO37l6jRHJgoymjYxVcBNXw8wOElBVp8eljAIvNYFl9OzqFSluvXpvOBOF00hniZD/Image5.png

note that the black in the picture is my desktop backround. is this a bug or just a ‘design’ thing?

That’s just the way it looks. I don’t like the new design either, but your screenshot looks “normal” for this new version. I think the transparent design is hideous. :-\

surely that area could be shaded to at least show that its all one entity. it just looks broken.