What is this? (The Shield Firewall 5.0)

I’m bored:

• Maybe PCSecurityShield made a mistake in the past. But i think they have well reputated partners and ofer reputated products.
  • I trust COMODO. If COMODO trusts that company, i have got reasons to do it too.
  • The articles where their products are rogue are very old.
  • Arthur is here doing explanations about his products.
    he offers if you can test his peoducts.
    Sorry, but now i’m sure PCSecurityShield isn’t rogue.
    St was a rogue product, now i’m ST user. And no problems.
    The bar of COMODO was classified as spyware for some pages, and they said COMODO was a rogue company.
    Do u think COMODO is rogue?
    Now i think PCSS is a trusted company.

I’m a newbie around here and rarely post (but lurk, on occasion). For what it is worth, here’s my 2 cents, on this issue:

The company distributing PCSecurityShield has a well-known reputation as a rogue company. It is important to note that, the reputation is primarily due to their sleazy marketing. There products (at least recently) are legitimate security products, but the way they choose to sell and distribute these products is suspect. One can take the association with Comodo as a sign that PCSecurityShield is a REAL security product.

Comodo has every right to sell the rights to their engine for rebranding. This is NOT contrary to their offering the free firewall for life, as they still do that under their own brand. And, has been noted, PCSecurityShield offers free tech support, so it is clear that they offer more than a simple rebranded Comodo firewall.

Again, as has been noted already, the “rogue” designation is from some time ago. Perhaps PCSecurityShield is changing their approach, and no longer engages in misleading scans, and such. I don’t know that they have stopped these practices, but I am suggesting that they may no longer do these things, and the security community hasn’t noticed yet. I tend to doubt things have changed too much, with them. Most companies who claim to have reformed, do so for a limited time, or in a limited way…yet, they continue to straddle the line between what is acceptable and what isn’t. Companies looking closely at that line, and always look for an opportunity to exploit the line, almost invariably cross it, at some point. As PCSecurityShield is a MARKETING company, and not a SECURITY company, I assume their sole concern is for the bottom line.

My opinion is, if they are serious about changing their methods, then this is a non-issue. If, however, they are still engaging in questionable marketing, then Comodo would be wise to terminate any association with them. As we all know, things are bad out there, REAL BAD. Any monetary support for a company actively involved in muddying the waters and adding to the confusion as to what is, and isn’t, legitimate practice, would be disgraceful. Comodo’s reputation will surely be compromised if PCSecurityShield is deemed to still be dirty, and Comodo continues to do business with them.

I have to confess to a total disdain for “affiliate marketing” and “pay per download” distribution. They are the Internet’s dirty little secret. If I were King, I would attempt to abolish them, altogether. Of course, that will not happen. But, as a consumer, I make every attempt to steer clear from products and services engaged in these practices, and as a professional I try not to use or recommend these products. Obviously, it is impossible to use NO products engaged in these practices, as they are already too well established. But, make no mistake about it, when you engage in deals with individuals and companies whose actions you cannot control, you are very likely to get burned.

As a long time user of Comodo (and a computer tech who installs and recommends the product on a daily basis), I trust Comodo to properly investigate the situation and make the correct decision. If everything turns out to be clean and above-board, I hope the contract is lucrative for Comodo, so they can continue to develop and distribute such excellent products. However, if PCSecurityShield turns out to still be a suspect company (and we will know soon enough) and Comodo continues to support them, I will be using, installing and recommending another product.

All hail the king!

Thanks for your logical, articulate and considered post.

As a long time user of Comodo (and a computer tech who installs and recommends the product on a daily basis), I trust Comodo to properly investigate the situation and make the correct decision.

If they make an incorrect decision, we can always vote with our feet.

Thanks again,
Ewen :slight_smile:

I like Comodo Firewall Pro and since Comodo gives it to me for free, I like Comodo!
If you think I am going to use an inferior product on my machine just because Comodo does business with someone else who has NEVER done anything to me or anyone I know just because of some posts about a few spam emails which I cannot verify 100% you have got to be nuts!!
:slight_smile:
This has got to be the funniest thing I have read in a while, LMAO!!
(:LGH)
I mean really, Comodo doesn’t even get enough from me to pay for the bandwidth I use on this forum, why would I think Comodo should listen to me if I give them an ultimatum about who they do business with, ROFLMAO!!!

You trust Comodo’s judgment when it comes to putting applications into the Trusted List on your machine, but you can’t trust Comodo’s judgment when it comes to choosing a business partner that doesn’t affect your machine at all!
Hahaha!!

As I said, I trust Comodo to properly investigate the situation and make the correct decision.

But, I think it is important to look past our own, trivial, self-interest. The current ■■■■ level on the Internet is intolerable, and I do my best to try NOT to support it. If Comodo is aiding and abetting those that make computer security a quagmire, I will choose to go elsewhere. Does Comodo care if users of the FREE firewall go elsewhere? Dunno.

But, as you may have noticed, Comodo is in the business of SELLING security-related software. In this business reputation is VERY important. The mere fact that the CEO of Comodo (Melih) reads, and posts in, this section suggests they DO care. That’s one of the reasons I trust Comodo to make the right decision.

If you are incapable of looking past your simple and immediate self-interest, perhaps you should consider this: If Comodo ends up being connected with a disreputable company, that is involved in scummy business and/or security practices, the company is bound to suffer. The best programmers and smartest security minds are less likely to want to work for, and do business with, Comodo. Perhaps they go under, or sell to a “marketing-first” (instead of “security-first”) company. The free product you treasure will no longer be a quality one, if it exists at all.

There are precious few quality security products, and even fewer that are offered for free. They exist, and flourish, due in large part, to the community…not simply from takers who only wonder “what’s in it for me?”.

LOL.
Ok Dean, you go right ahead and get right down to bottom of this thing, leave no stone unturned!
While you lose sleep over this I will be taking a snooze dreaming I’m on a cruise, knowing that my PC is safe and sound, hahaha!
Keep up the good fight, bro!! ;D

BTW, good luck on finding that replacement firewall if you choose to go elsewhere.
Make sure to come back and let us know how that went for you! (:WAV)

Dean, one last thing buddy:
As Comodo has done well enough in the past choosing business partners to be able to support the development and release of a top shelf firewall that they have given away absolutely free, I’m sure they are smart enough to choose the right partners in the future!

Good day, pal! (:LGH)

Time Frame?..How about 30 seconds ago when my Site Advisor turned RED?

Consumers Responsibility? …Wrong!!! It’s your problem to show consumers that you went str8…
We (being the consumer) didn’t give you a bad reputation…YOU DID all by yourself!

Test your products? …Why should we, we can get them from legit sites, and for free!!!

This is all totally my own opinion!

Well, if you were in the know, you would be aware that Online Armor has recently been rated slightly higher than Comodo, by some testers. Of course, this is for their paid version: $39.95 for one computer. That’s a small price to pay for quality with integrity. I install Online Armor on some computers for certain clients, and it is a very good product. Personally, I prefer the Comodo product. For what it is worth, I also install, and recommend, Comodo Plus, the paid version ($39) for some clients who need/want a suite solution with support.

Clearly, you didn’t really understand my posts, but given the tone (and total lack of depth) of your posts, that isn’t very surprising. I am not qualified to “get to the bottom of this thing”, I leave that to trusted experts. I will choose to remain informed, and protected, instead of ignorant and selfish, though.

I will leave it at that, with you, as your method of discourse is that of a typical poster on a teenage fan-board, not a security-related forum.

Dude, so what? Who is Site Advisor? God?
I don’t use it and I don’t care what they say!

This is all totally my own opinion!
Yeah, I kinda figured.. 88)

I really hope melih and that other dude doesn’t come back here and respond again, all that would do is prolong the illusion of any of you guys making any sense!

Bye!
(:WAV)

Ok buddy, it’s your green!
(:WAV)

+1

Melih did, and came in and said so. You chose to ignore that fact.

But, as you may have noticed, Comodo is in the business of SELLING security-related software.
I didn't notice that. From my vantage, it seems more like Comodo is in the business of GIVING AWAY security-related software. I thought they sold certifications.
The best programmers and smartest security minds are less likely to want to work for, and do business with, Comodo.
Aha, you might not be so wise after all; the above statement is incorrect. The best programmers and smartest security minds know that the best programmers and smartest security minds are the malware writers, lol!

Cheers,
axl.

In fairness, Site Advisor have said that they will remove the rating as soon as Spyware Warrior remove their rating. As the owner of PCSecurityShield has said, he has tried to contact Spyware Warrior to get them to re-examine his products, but to no avail. As has been stated several times, the posts on Spyware Warrior and DSLReports are quite old

Consumers Responsibility? ......Wrong!!! It's your problem to show consumers that you went str8....

Again, in fairness, how do you prove a negative? This is similar to the old question “Exactly when did you stop beating your wife?” No answer will ever prove satisfactory. The owner has come to these forums and explained his take on things.

In your opinion, what steps do you think he should take to prove that his company is acting in an ethical, fair manner?

The above is not meant as a facetitious or rhetorical question. I’d really like to know what you think he could do.

We (being the consumer) didn't give you a bad reputation.....YOU DID all by yourself!

[/slight chuckle mode on]
I don’t think he hung a sign out saying he had a bad reputation. That absolutely had to be the result of consumer interraction.
[/slight chuckle mode off]

Ewen :slight_smile:

I guess that sums it up.

(BTW Floyd, you appear to be enjoying this a little too much! :slight_smile: )

Issues seem to be resolved. So can we lock the topic now? :-TU

I do not believe we have heard the final word on this, from Melih or the community, If we have, and it passes, then you are correct and, as I have stated, all will be well. But, I wouldn’t make the assumption you seem so sure of.

Comodo sells certificates, services AND products (including a paid-for firewall). You may want to look at comodo.com and check it out. If Comodo was in the business of giving things away, with no source of revenue, how would they manage to continue at this level? While the free firewall is an integral part of the company, it certainly can’t be the entire focus of their business. That simply makes no sense.

But, even if Comodo only sold certificates, a damaged/compromised reputation has to be considered a negative in the security business.

Finally, I completely disagree that the best and the brightest security minds are the malware writers. If it were the case, how could products like Comodo and Avira protect your computer from the vast majority (nearly all?) of identified malware? Typically, security flaws are identified by the security community before the malware community develops exploits for those flaws.

Anyway, let me make it perfectly clear that I am a big fan (and supporter) of Comodo and have presupposed that they are (or will be) on the right side, in this matter. You seem to have taken the position that there is no issue here, and that the discussion in this thread is not a worthwhile exercise (yet you continue to post in this thread…interesting). Clearly there are other opinions here, and they deserve to be heard. But, a little perspective might help those on all sides of this issue.

I am curious, as the PCSecurityShield is still listed as a rogue in Spyware Warrior, still Red X’d by SiteAdvisor and stands accused of marketing by spam by more than one security forum, why would you consider this issue resolved?

Melih has (re-read his last post, carefully), and as for the community “passing” this, I was unaware that this operation was a democracy…
In fact, with regards to the “community”, this is not some open-source project, and this is not a non-profit organisation.

Finally, I completely disagree that the best and the brightest security minds are the malware writers. If it were the
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here, and it is quite obvious you are NOT a programmer. The very best programmers are the best because their personality allows them to interact with the machine on a certain level; this same quality makes it difficult for them to fit into a corporate environment. This is [u][b]fact[/b][/u], and if egemen were here he would agree. Speak on something else, because you are in completely over your head here.
You seem to have taken the position that there is no issue here, and that the discussion in this thread is not a worthwhile exercise (yet you continue to post in this thread...interesting).
I can answer using a word someone else used in a post in this thread: [b][i]Boredom[/i][/b].

It is clear that some will never be convinced no matter what the outcome, and so the only option for this thread is for it to be closed.
It is now silly and ridiculous, and I am not surprised that Floyd found such hilarity in it.