Start Menus

A good point, master! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that this will work, according to my own experience and a link I found before, when you googled for tweaking tips. Of course I can’t find it now. Anyway, it confirmed what I experienced: When removing (disabling to be precise) Search completely from start menu, you can’t even use it in Windows Explorer anymore. Feel free to try, you might succeed anyway. :wink:

Over and out,

/LA

Oh yes that’s something I have to be wary of. I inadvertently removed the Search menu in Group Policy when I disabled Control Panel, but didn’t try it then.

L.A. I wanted to ask you a question (Soya too). Since you don’t have any shortcuts on your desktop and you don’t use such programs as Launchy, how do you quickly launch a program ? Do you always go through “Start” Or Program Files ? :o 88)

Who said I didn’t have any shortcuts? I have shortcuts with no names on them to be exact ;D. My less commonly used programs are in my menu. Here’s my scale
Always used: Startup folder in the start menu
Almost always used: launch bar
Frequently used: desktop
Seldomly used: above the “Programs” in the start menu
Least used: start menu

I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to ask about this anyway :P0l

Sorry :-[ Drop my post somewhere else (to the Off Topic !ot! section maybe) And thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

I’m also known as the smooth merger O0

LOL, that’s a nice merge! (:CLP)

BTW Soya, look at the first post. I no longer have “Shut Down”. Like you, I now have Turn Off Computer. ???

Well Commodus, I’ve become the master of launching quickly from the start menu. :slight_smile: I have no delays before the menus are displayed. The most important:

Internet (default browser) - always via a physical button.

Explorer for viewing files - always Win key + E

CCleaner - really fast from start menu.

Documents, images, audio/video or whatever - I always go the the proper folder via Explorer and launch by double clicking the file, so I rarely launch e.g. Media Player Classic or Adobe Reader from the start menu.

Actually I did try to put three icons on the desktop yesterday (Explorer, Opera, CCleaner), but they had to go…

LA

You either deleted too many files again or you have the Welcome screen back. See Rag for more details (:NRD).

I have the welcome screen but it automatically logs in without any delay. Would be nice to disable it completely.

LA

What did I just typed? See Rag for details. Ah but of course. You like everything to be quick. Your impatience shows clearly today :).

Assuming you haven’t destroyed the Control Panel (yet…):

Open User Accounts.
Click “Change the way users log on or off”.
Uncheck the “Use the Welcome screen”.
Click “Apply Options”

You shouldn’t assume such a thing. Of course I have removed the User Accounts manager. Else I wouldn’t be LA. ;D

LA

Well then, good luck sticking with the sluggish blue screen of “welcome” :P.

Might be other means to kill it: kellys-korner-xp.com - kellys korner xp Resources and Information.

Are we actually talking about the same screen here? I didn’t mean that I have the welcome screen as we usually refer to it, the one with user accounts and avatars. I meant that on boot-up I see a blue screen for a second or two which says “Welcome”. My user profile is loaded here, (to prevent this post from being off topic): after which the task bar and the start menu button appears.

LA

Thanks L.A, thanks Soya for a nice thread Fusion ;D

I just don’t have the patience to open every program through the Start menu. :slight_smile:

:■■■■

That’s why you have to decrease the delay for the menus to open. O0

LA

I once did that - to 0 ms ;D But still not fast enough :frowning:

That 2-second Welcome screen is the result of what I mentioned. That’s why you have Turn Off instead of Shut Down in your start menu. You sure don’t read a lot of what I post >:(. Just try disabling it.

It’s relative, but I agree that it can be annoying to have to navigate to 2-3 places with the start menu.

I read it all, but I wanted to be sure about the definition of the Welcome screen. Now I know. Maybe I’ll switch to the classic version to see if there are any benefits.

LA

Ye classic everything. Classic Install Opera, class XP taskbar, classic XP’s start menu. It’s smaller and faster :-TU

https://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/opera_95_released-t23906.0.html;msg171195#msg171195

LA