Scot Finney: Online Armor best Firewall Of 2008

Yes you are now informed that people are not privy to information that they are not aware that they are not privy to…A tautologically true statement. That’s “useful” :smiley:

I can infer that he is not a systems programmer, nor in charge of the bug-tracking process, nor has he had any experience using change-management software...

Saying AFAIK, allows you to infer that he is not a systems programmer? How does that work? You saying a system programmer cannot say AFAIK?

I could go on, but I think I made my point.

Your point it seems is that you have none.

Hey guys

Can we chill on this discussion? It´s not getting us anywhere.

Thanks OD

what do you think about the fact that OA is unable to detect and protect u from flood and after some seconds, the firewall crashed, is it a big issue or it’s not important?
what is the utility of a firewall that is unable to protect u from network flooding and crash?
and with this fact, cause it’ a fact, how is it possible that it’s the best firewall 2008?

I haven’t followed this topic (yet). How can a firewall be the best of 2008 when it’s not even Vista ready? Or am I missing something?

LA

maybe cause no one uses vista?
i got 2 pc with vista and 1 with XP.
but no one uses vista…
and it’s not EXACTLY the same story to code a FW for xp and vista.
vista is far from being a XP with some updated UI.

I bought a new Dell WOW Gaming Laptop and had XP installed cause Vista sucks for gaming. Dell told me to keep Vista and I said NOPE. Install XP. Anyways if you gonna promote your product into saying its the best firewall you should make it Vista compatible.

i got a xps M1330, it works fine with vista SP1.
but i don’t play games.
the M1330 got a nvidia 8400M GS, what is not really great to play games.
vista indices are 4.1 for aero and 4.6 for 3D.

what’s your GPU with your dell? and which laptop model u got?
i see that the xps M1730 got 2 8800GTX sli, must be great for gaming.
the price is great too ! :slight_smile:

Many people use Vista now, it’s certainly time to make OA work on that platform. Personally I could nominate a program as “best of the year” despite it would only work on XP (because I don’t care for Vista), but that’s just me. Not sure I would do it in a blog read by thousands of people.

That’s not an argument… any more.

LA

i don’t try to find any excuse to people without a vista compatible product, i just say they maybe thought vista was a simple xp with some different UI, what is a big mistake.
and the fact that after more than 1 year, there’s still no vista version, it’s possible they are just not able to release a 100% working vista product.
but they just try to minimize the part of pcs runnin vista.
except all pcs are coming with vista for more than 1 year now, so it’s impossible to make use believe that most of pcs are running xp.
they should release a vista version since at least one year now, but where are those products?
that makes me think they got lot of troubles to code a version that works as fine as xp for vista.
serious teams were ready for vista from the start.
i bought vista ultimate when MS released it and lot of teams had nothing for vista, no drivers, no apps, or some betas that crashed most of the time…

its not easy to build it for vista and x64 bit…

there is also x64 bit platforms for both xp and Vista. Building for these platforms require some sizeable effort and will take time.

Melih

only the 6% of the computer users use Vista, anyway

17 % and growing :stuck_out_tongue:

Whether vista or xp, the priority should be security! And here is the proof and explanation that Comodo is the leader!

Melih

Still in the middle of your war…

I didn’t say that OA is better
(anyway, it’s still the 6%, I’ve seen the percentages yesterday)

Leolas

the point I made is about security nothing else. It applies to all vendors!

The point is: Comodo is the leading force behind security! We are seeing the other vendors benefiting (many vendors, not singling any one out). Not only Comodo leads in the world of security but it has also shown itself of capable of delivering protection to main stream PC platforms like Vista (which is nearing to 20% installed base now!), and 64 bit (for both XP and Vista) and while doing that continue to lead the industry in Security.

My point is very simple: We lead in security! And as a provider of a “Security” product I think thats a good thing (:KWL)

I hope this clarifies my point.

thanks
Melih

see? it’s that kind of things that irritates me, like all the rest with things we read about OA, and things about comodo but give just facts, it’s not hard.
6% of PCs running vista as vista is out for 1 year 1/2, man, when i read that, what do u think i tell to myself?
i got 2 machines running vista, from the start, people buying PCs for more than 1 year are running vista, only people with pcs too slow say vista is ■■■■ and don’t use it.
but 6% in the world in 1 year 1/2, it’s just stupid to write that, just think a little and u’ll know that there’s possibly a link with the fact that OA got no vista version. don’t u think it had a role to write 6%?
who can believe that?
so there are same % of pcs that run vista, linux and macOSX ?
who believes that?

This is from OA site:

Scot Finnie and over a 1000 of his readers have been busy reviewing and testing all the major players in the firewall category. This process started way back in the later part of 2006.

Here is the final paragraph of the review taken directly from the formal review by Scot’s Newsletter Blog.

"Online Armor 2.1.0.131 (the paid version) is the best firewall I’ve ever tested, offering a blend of usability and hard-wired security that’s near-ideal for maximizing protection and ensuring a good user experience. A great firewall doesn’t have to be, and shouldn’t be, a chore to use. Online Armor isn’t.

Wasn’t the version tested in Scot’s different?

here is what Scot said:

Online Armor 2.1.0.112 (the paid version) is the best firewall I’ve ever tested, offering a blend of usability and hard-wired security that’s near-ideal for maximizing protection and ensuring a good user experience. A great firewall doesn’t have to be, and shouldn’t be, a chore to use. Online Armor isn’t

Now OA site says: “Here is the final paragraph of the review taken directly from the formal review by Scot’s Newsletter Blog.”

So I am assuming they have made a mistake with the version number and they should correct it at OA site. Someone better tell them.

Melih

Scot

Are you not Honour bound to inform your users about the following:

"Anyone doing a flooding attack (very common attack) will render your choice of firewall that you recommend to your users useless. "

If not why not?

thanks

Melih

Scot

Are you not Honour bound to inform your users about the following:

A rootkit can install itself (an attack used by a real malware) (check out the new hips/leak tests we have released as you can see these tests are based on a real world malware/rootkit Trojan.Virantix.B which OA fails to protect).Scot, this is NOT a theoretical vulnerability. It’s a real world rootkit (worse than a virus) that infects people today! A HIPS not preventing this is simply NOT acceptable in the security world as it is a wellknown malware/rootkit!

If not why not?

thanks

Melih

Scot

Do you know how many of your users are still using the version of OA that auto allows alerts whether they are malware or not if left unattended? (if you remember your firewall of choice (the very version you tested and put on your website allows alerts if its unattended, eg: you go for a coffee break and there is an alert it will be most likely to be auto allowed whether its a rootkit, malware or not!)

Can you confirm that they all have updated to later versions pls.

If you dont’ know, are you not honour bound to inform them?

if not why not?

thanks

Melih