[merged topic]CIS feedback

I’ve updated 5.12 to 6 on one of my machines to see what it would look like. I am still in shock at how unusuable it is… Everything is big, garish, and is all I would hate about Windows 8 would I install it. There must have been a mad designer at work, working completely against the rule that everything should be accessible with as few clicks as possible and as much info visible at one glance. It looks like Comodo is going the way of Nero which used to be an awesome burning program back in the day until they added a gig of apps that they thought everybody should need. Now Comodo does the same, installing loads of - I’m tempted to say ■■■■ because it just gets thrown on my machine by default - weight. This is not the way to do it! Bring back the 5-style-GUI and let the user install more modules as he needs them! There’s surely some merit to some of them but right now it is all SPAM! You will always alienate the user by giving him too much. Give him small pieces and wet his appetite for more! And listen to the sign of the times: Windows 8 is a failure (even Samsung said so last week). Right. I need to calm down and un-install this now…

You could try the mirror on the right side. That leads to the named version.
Make a virus scan :wink:

Welcome to the club.

If you need links to older versions:

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/i-need-ciscf-510-or-512-t90635.0.html;msg653192#msg653192

First of all I want to thanks all people working for offer a free product.
Unfortunately in this case I can not give you a good feedback.
I have installed the new version on Win 8 64 bit but only for two or three days .

the interface it is not clean and easy or friendly as you prefer
CIS 6 has frozen my pc several times within two three days. Hardware restart was necessary.
The starting- and shutdown-time has significantly increased compared to CIS 5.*

Other minor issues.

At the end of history for the moment I remain with the version 5.

I hope that you can appreciate my opinion also if it is not positive.

Your supporter

Totally agree. Too many software developers are jumping on the Window8 bandwagon, and many people don’t like it.

Microsoft is trying to put a good face on it, but Windows8 is a failure. Not many people are buying it in shrink wrap, it is being forced on them when they buy new computers. I have helped 4 friends remove it from their laptops and install Windows7. Not everyone wants a 15"-24" smart phone for sure.

While I totally agree that Microsoft made a huge mistake with Windows 8, I don’t think the UI of CIS 6 is a Win8 type interface at all. If you want to see a security product that switched to a “Metro” style look, check out Avast! 8.

Or Kaspersky 2014 BETA…

I really like Comodo 6 - I have just brought a 3yr license, I had a problem and Melih sent me a private message where to look for help - now that’s what you call excellent!!!

Maybe Comodo could think about offering a choice to the users: to choose between a “classic” interface (such as in CIS 5.12) or a “modern” interface (such as the current CIS 6), so that most of users can be satisfy with it

To be honest, it’s not the “look” or lack of attractiveness that bothers me. (I don’t think CIS6 is ugly at all) I can get used to any reasonable appearance or style. It’s having to deal with awkward organization, and having to drill down several levels to get at common functions that frustrates me. In fact, I think the the Avast GUI is logical and easy to use.

Exactly. I agree 100%.

I liked the old avast interface more, but i can live with this style.
As i rarely “use” avast interface for new settings, or actions!
It runs like i set it once!
-Its a global tool.-

While comodo needs to be handled more often. And so it should stay “handy”.
-The global rules are seldom used too.-
But comodo is also on the application layer etc…
And it should give actual informations.

While an antivirus just needs to pop up when the s… hits the fan :smiley:

I’ve been using Comodo v5 for a long time now and really liked the old GUI, however after playing around with v6 today I must say it’s an awesome bit of work, more impressive it’s free software. All the options are still there just takes a little getting used to. Some options are missing, but nothing major.

Didn’t take long to get up to speed, like a lot of what you guys have done. Not sure about the huge green tick and drag to scan box, seems like a waste of the GUI, but with touchscreen design also a consideration these days I can understand the changes.

I do think the old GUI was very effective and efficient on standard desktop and laptops, but realize that you have to design for the masses and the market and simplification is the key. Glad at least advanced options are still available.

Overall it feels very slick and modern and should leave a good impression on new users. The new Virtual environment features and browser/application sandboxing built in with shared space is brilliant and a first on free software I think?

Some initial feedback:

1. Took me a while to find the cloud anti virus settings, which are in the actual schedule scan options.

2. Really miss the “Define a New Trusted Network and make my Ports Stealth to everyone else” under Stealth Ports. Looks like it has been replaced with some boxes which you can select allow or block. I used to use the wizard to allow access to my router only - it would add some Global incoming rules and some application rules for system/svhost for an IP address or IP range I specified. Now I have to do this manually as far as I can see?

3. The old GUI for displaying network/security policies, logs etc opened a separate window and remembered your size preferences. I think the current one feels a little crowded and harder to navigate, also does not remember window sizes, tab positions? Didn’t seem like it did, but I may be mistaken.

4. I think a quick access button to go straight into advanced settings would be great on the main GUI and the widget, perhaps a tick box to include it like you have for the other options if you want to have it default hidden.

5. As mentioned above - I can understand the new style interface given the market, however the advanced GUI needs a little more work and polish and a single button to access so we can quickly edit rules and view logs.

6. Kill switch needs to be seamlessly integrated and the splash screen removing. A TCP/Network monitor is an essential part of a firewall and it feels like its been bolted on with the separate install and splash screen.

7. Partially limited sandbox gave me a few issues with Gameranger updater app - popup was asking to allow application which I did, but it still ended up partially limited. Then I selected Installer/Updater, still ended up partially limited as shown in Kill Switch. Result was Gameranger continuously trying to update.
    If it is being sent to the sandbox, the popup should read “Unknown Application sent to Sandbox” with an option to review unknown files and/or add to trusted. In the end, I disabled Auto-Sandboxing and will answer popups accordingly so unknown programs can run first time and not have to be run again after failing partially limited. I can see why general users need an auto sandbox feature however.

Thanks for the great software - keep up the good work!

I do agree with you. They will be adding some sort of summary screen in the future. CIS 6 does have a nice GUI but some parts I don’t find useful

I know exactly what you mean here, but I think i figured out the “caramilk secret”.

• The “Define a new Trusted Network” portion has been replaced by the network discovery popup. For example, when I installed at home I answered the popup with “Home” which equated to a “trusted network”.
  • The remaining portion is what we have left under “Stealth Ports”. Again, for me at home, I selected “Block Incoming”.

A split / two step process that used to be accomplished in one screen… but nets to the same end result (attached).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi guys

Was there a security reason why no lists/i.e firewall rules etc has no search or filter options? This makes the CIS so hard to use, I’m spending so much time performing simple tasks like tweaking rules.

Hopping back and forth in single windows is terrible - you need the trigger logs and rules net to each other.

Why on earth would you lock the app into a box? I dont think the developers actually use CIS.

Hope ver 7 is getting released soon.

Egemen has used Comodo 6 before the beta started. It takes a lot of time to tweak any security software, that’s what makes Comodo different. It took me a lot of time to config my firewall rules.

Comodo 6 is different from 5 - version 7 is years away

I’ll remember not to use King’s Hospital.

Ha ha ha LOL! ROFL! ;D :-TU Good joke :slight_smile: