Installer bug: Inspect.sys cannot be installed from safemode either(CFP 3.0.9.229 BETA)

Yep

I was listing all the places to look after uninstallation to see if there were any remnants.

Yep according to your previous screensot of device manager that driver is not installed

C:\Program Files\Comodo\inspect.sys is a leftover of the previous beta probably due to system restore.
the dialog you referenced for C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\inspect.sys refers to the current beta version but it is named inspect (2).sys probably due to system restore.

You need to uninstall again from safemode , sorry.
Then you need to remove all instances of comodo files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ expecially any inspect.sys
remove all other comodo folder from your hd as well.

Please check for comodo inf file after uninstall (enable explorer to show hidden files and folders).
After that it worths trying to install V3 in its suggested path (to exclude if it is an installer issue)

Since this may be going to be troublesome for you after you reinstall again don’t reboot as it is needed to check all files are in place.
If there still no mention of “inspect” (search only this part of the name) in the registry don’t bother to restart.
if inspect it is mentioned in the registry as precaution use device manager to disable(without removing) all AVG drivers.
Then if this check is Ok all that is lef it is to cross fingers and reboot

This should be ok, same here.

I’ve uninstalled all AVG products (antispyware and antirootkit).
Boot in Safe Mode.
Check if there is any AVG driver running (with ServiWin), none.
Uninstalled Comodo in Safe Mode.
Boot in again.

Removed all Comodo files and registry keys. Including inf files.
Install Comodo on the default path.

The inspect.sys drive was on the system32\drivers folder. The other files, one by one, either.
Boot normally.

Same situation as before :cry:
I must give up… time is passing by and there a lot of work waiting.
I’ll wait next non-beta version and try again. Sorry to disappoint you giving up… but it’s a pity that we cannot find which is blocking the driver to load. Next time, wish me more look.

Was Inspect.sys in registry soon after you installed in safe mode before rebooting?
Does it appear after reboot?

Ok, I’ll left this topic open for the nex 24 hours.
If you wish to test it again and the thead is closed by then please send us a PM.

Regards,
gibran

Before you close this thread…
Some info in the Windows\Inf folder.

C:\WINDOWS\inf\setupapi.app.log (part of it related to Comodo)

[Build Driver List - ROOT\NT_INSPECT\0000]
Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:49.676
cmd: “C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\snet32.tmp” -v -l inspect.inf -m inspect_m.inf -c s -i nt_Inspect
dvi: Searching for hardware ID(s):
dvi: nt_inspect
dvi: Enumerating INFs from path list ‘C:\inf’
inf: The path C:\inf*.* is missing!
inf: Searched 1 INFs in directory: ‘C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Broadcom’
inf: The path C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Intel3954ABG*.* is missing!
inf: The path C:\SWSetup\WLanDrvInstall\Intel2915ABG*.* is missing!
<<< Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
<<< [Exit status: SUCCESS]

[Select Best Driver - ROOT\NT_INSPECT\0000]
Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
cmd: “C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\snet32.tmp” -v -l inspect.inf -m inspect_m.inf -c s -i nt_Inspect
! dvi: Selecting driver failed(0xe0000228)
<<< Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:49.957
<<< [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe0000228)]

C:\WINDOWS\inf\setupapi.dev.log

[SetupCopyOEMInf - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf]
Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:46.697
inf: Opened INF: ‘C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf’ ([strings] <src = normal>)
inf: Opened INF: ‘C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect.inf’ ([strings] <src = normal>)
! inf: Package was already in store: skipping Driver Store add
inf: Driver Store location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\inspect.inf_75de2799\inspect.inf
inf: Published Inf Path: C:\Windows\INF\oem25.inf
inf: OEM source media location: C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall
<<< Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:47.165

[SetupCopyOEMInf - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf]
Section start 2007/10/05 10:04:47.165
inf: Opened INF: ‘C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf’ ([strings] <src = normal>)
inf: Opened INF: ‘C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\inspect_m.inf’ ([strings] <src = normal>)
! inf: Package was already in store: skipping Driver Store add
inf: Driver Store location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\inspect_m.inf_a90feafa\inspect_m.inf
inf: Published Inf Path: C:\Windows\INF\oem26.inf
inf: OEM source media location: C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall
<<< Section end 2007/10/05 10:04:47.414

Mod edit: inf files attached in a txt file

Should I delete any of these files before trying to install Comodo (again)?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yep delete them all. If you find any other inf file containing a comodo reference delete them.
Maybe this will not work either but if we can confirm that inspect.sys is not installed in safe mode we can file this as an installation bug.
On the other hand if inspect.sys is referenced in registry in safemode but disappear booting in windows we have at less narrowed it to this possibility.

If the driver was installed but was nonfunctional booting in normal mode it would be still referenced in Device manager and an error code would be displayed under its properties

Another Vista user reports missing inspect.sys file.

https://forums.comodo.com/64_bit_bug_reports/no_inspectsys_on_the_system_multiple_versions-t13443.0.html;msg94118#msg94118

LM

Done.

Five files deleted.

It’s present on the Comodo folder but it’s not listed on the Hidden Hardware Devices (non-plug&play drivers). Only Comodo Firewall Pro Helper Driver is listed there.

It’s NOT listed on the registry (installing in Safe Mode and before booting).

The driver is not correctly installed.

Can’t the programmers create an installation log?

No changes are made to the registry after installing, until reboot. I would not expect to find it there until then.

As far as an install log, that’s a whole different project to be built from the ground up. I wish it automatically would, but there are other applications that will. Not Comodo, but that’s okay. It doesn’t all have to be Comodo… :wink:

LM

Nothing after booting… not a mention of inspect.sys in the Registry.

Ok, this settles it as an Installer problem. There is no way for us to find a workaround at this point so we have to wait for devs to find the real issue.

I have to move this topic in the 32bit bugs childboard after changing the title to reference the current beta version and the inspect.sys installer problem. Are you ok with this?

I’ll post a link in the 32bit bugreport too.

Tech, thanks for your time, you testing efforts were far above the average

gibran

Thanks Gibran for all the help. No problems.
I’ll wait for next beta release to test it again.
Meanwhile, let’s stay just with Vista firewall… what can I do?

Comodo deserves, don’t you think?
I’ll never do it for any firewall :wink:

Yep :smiley: as they follow a wonderful mission statement I trust they’ll achieve far more goals that the other competitors.
Devoting my spare time to this community is the only way I can properly express my gratitude to them (L)