How much RAM does your computer use ?

Either you deleted way too much stuff or … not enough :a0

Looks like your “fortune” is down while mine’s up :a0

Try rebooting.

Its cos on the bottom right corner it counts total memory usage, paging memory + physical memory usage, meanwhile in the “memory usage” column near the process’ only shows physical memory usage.
Its just my theory though…

Might be true. But virtual memory is the pagefile, isn’t it? So if I’m not wrong, isn’t the memory cached in the pagefile, rather than being used by the OS? So the actual usage is what’s shown in task manager, while the rest is just being cached in the pagefile?
Soya and LA, do you have the pagefile enabled?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Your actual physical ram usage is what you have counted, 68 224 kB. On the bottom right corner it says you are using 147 MB of 2773 allocated memory. Do you have 2.7 GB memory installed? I don’t think so. This is why I think that the 147 MB has the cashed memory included, which sits in your pagefile.

Yup. I statically set mine to 400 MB (although it could be lower now ^_^). Even if I had 10 gigs of RAM, I’d probably still enable it.

Yes, 512 MB.

LA

(:LGH)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey LA, would you mind sparing a RAM stick or two? (:TNG)

Let me ask you a realistic question: does your PC really speed up from using less memory?

Let me ask you an unreasonable question: which service was it that killed the third and most memory-hogging svchost.exe process?

I don’t know, I just do this because of principles… :wink:

I cheated and took the screen shot in safe mode, so I don’t know. But Ragwing has only two svchost.exe, I guess he’s able to disable a service that is necessary for us. :-\

LA

I’m guessing he either disabled Event Log or RPC service.

I haven’t disabled Event Log, tho I should, as that way, I won’t get any errors in the Event Log (:WIN)
And running Windows with RPC disabled… I don’t think it’s possible…
But I think it might be DCOM Process Launcher maybe?

Well, your computer shouldn’t run faster or slower, as long as you have enough RAM. Only thing that might be faster is the boot, as it’ll need to load less items into the memory.

It can’t be DCOM Process Launcher because LA already disabled it. Maybe Plug and Play?

No, I haven’t disabled Plug and Play. No Plug and Play, no Windows Audio. No Windows Audio, no sound. And without sound, how would one listen to music?
But it really annoys me not being able to disable the service. Maybe I’ll just burn the music on a CD, and the problem will be solved.

lol you might end up wasting a lot of CD’s without listening first on the PC.

Since my peak memory usage in Task Manager is usually lower 400 MB, I don’t care how much it uses. It’s just the feeling of cleanliness that I’m after (:AGL)

No, if you mean DCOM Server Process Launcher I have it enabled.

Hello friend! (:LOV) (Rag is my friend too, we share the same philosophy ;))

LA

Aha, that’s probably the extra svchost.exe.
For only two svchost.exe, only enable these:
Event Log
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Task Scheduler
Windows Audio

I think two instances of svchost.exe is the lowest you can get without disabling RPC, Event Log or Plug and Play.

I prefer being your friend without ‘(:LOV)’

Then we’ve sorted that out. Unfortunately I can’t disable DCOM … - that would drop my internet connection. So three svchosts here and a lot of RAM usage. :frowning:

LA

Pffft. I think that’s more then enough. You beat Bold Fortune’s 10 running services. That’s saying a lot. Be proud and pull the curtains down (:s*).

Yes but for some strange reason he’s enabled Shell Hardware Detection and Automatic Updates so he could easily get down at eight. Well, it doesn’t matter. Rag’s the real winner here.

(:CLP)

LA

So do I. If I disable most of the services, I’ll have less problems with them :BNC
I think it should be possible to run Windows with RPC only, but you’d probably get long boot time and other unexpected errors…
Plug and Play shouldn’t be needed unless you attach a USB or something to your computer, that needs to install a driver.