How much RAM does your computer use ?

Do you think the RAM usage of explorer.exe decreases when themes are disabled? Here’s my new record, 97 MB, including taskmgr.exe cfp.exe and explorer.exe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sure it does. I use WindowBlinds, which means I can disable Themes service, but I’m not sure what the trade off is since WB isn’t listed in Task Manager.

Delete that registry entry now !!! ;D

ok done! :■■■■
(:NRD) my turbine style RAM meter says i use 47% RAM. :-TU

There you go. ;D Don’t no much about … hmh, sorry wrong thread :smiley:

Is WindowsBlinds a service then? It has to be present somehow, somewhere…

LA

WB only appears in Task Manager when the options screen is loaded (duh :D), which I only need to at the beginning when I tweak it. Regularly I think it only loads as a driver (.dll), so in a way doesn’t waste as much memory?

After being guided by Bold Fortune’s part 2 on just removing services:

My Windows Vista Ultimate machine :slight_smile:

That Bold Fortune guy’s ingenious level is limitless ;D

I use 147 MB ???

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2300/tmhm4.png

I wonder what you’ve disabled to get only two svchost.exe, I have three. ??? If I could disable one more I would have 12 processes and even less RAM usage. :a0

LA

Event Log, Plug and Play, RPC and Task Scheduler are the only Windows services running. Still I don’t get why the RAM usage is 147 MB, I get 68 224 kB when I count it myself. So explorer takes around 1/3!

Cheers,
Ragwing

Annoying, that means one of my necessary services (to make internet work) is the reason for an extra svchost.exe :frowning:

Yeah, they don’t match for me either. See this post:

https://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/how_much_ram_does_your_computer_use-t23021.0.html;msg161673#msg161673

I had 46.2 MB the last time I checked (https://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/how_much_ram_does_your_computer_use-t23021.0.html;msg161668#msg161668) ;D

LA

Either you deleted way too much stuff or … not enough :a0

Looks like your “fortune” is down while mine’s up :a0

Try rebooting.

Its cos on the bottom right corner it counts total memory usage, paging memory + physical memory usage, meanwhile in the “memory usage” column near the process’ only shows physical memory usage.
Its just my theory though…

Might be true. But virtual memory is the pagefile, isn’t it? So if I’m not wrong, isn’t the memory cached in the pagefile, rather than being used by the OS? So the actual usage is what’s shown in task manager, while the rest is just being cached in the pagefile?
Soya and LA, do you have the pagefile enabled?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Your actual physical ram usage is what you have counted, 68 224 kB. On the bottom right corner it says you are using 147 MB of 2773 allocated memory. Do you have 2.7 GB memory installed? I don’t think so. This is why I think that the 147 MB has the cashed memory included, which sits in your pagefile.

Yup. I statically set mine to 400 MB (although it could be lower now ^_^). Even if I had 10 gigs of RAM, I’d probably still enable it.

Yes, 512 MB.

LA