CPF Wishlist rev 2

We have the Safelist approach. In that you can do auto approve safe list files! So, what we need is to get as many files as possible so that we can put them in to the safelist. In the next version you will see a submit file option where you will be able to upload files to us and that will be used to create a safe list and that safelist will be shared amongst all users :slight_smile:
We should have a beta of that sometime next week i hope :wink:

Melih

Glad to hear that… :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to try it, with all the known bugs fixed… :wink:

Thanks. I am happy that u people are already well aware about the issues.

… and upload and share firewall rules for specific applications???

Ewen :slight_smile:

I personally would like a feature that allows me to use block lists…
Such as those used for example by Peer Guardian ( http://phoenixlabs.org/ )

Another nice feature would be making the firewall modular, although the protection is free, you could also make revenue by selling these modules such as an advanced VNC with authentication and logging

Timed services would also be a useful feature, I sometimes require use of a VNC in the evenings however not during working hours, being able to have features such as this only available between specific hours would reduce security risks and be useful

I would also like the option to scan during bootup as ‘some’ virus, malware and trojans can be trickey to remove once windows has booted.

It would also be nice to have a screensaver that runs the antivirus while the system is idle

Hello,

Just one item right now, because I haven’t had a chance to really kick any tires yet. :slight_smile:

In the CPF log, please add all actions taken when replying to alerts.
I.e. Alert - Allowed - Denied and if Remember Answer (Y/N)

Right now, if I allow an alert or select remember answer, the log does not clearly show this.

Example : I allowed some alerts and see multiple entries like below.

High Application Monitor Suspicious Behaviour (iexplore.exe)

There is no indication in the entry that the user allowed the alert.

Al

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7785/blockall5bc.png

Where is block all activities option? Would certanly like to see that one…

Another thing is weird handling of IP and PORT ranges.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7696/ranges2ul.png

Fior example AVGNT.exe is allowed only Outbound and IP and PORT ranges are set to Any (both).
But AVGUARD.exe is set to “Allow all activities for this application” and has specified range 0.0.0.0-255-255-255-255 and 0-65535? Shouldn’t be the opposite? If you give some application all the access it should have Any don’t you think? And if you limit in one or another way it should show limited IP and port range (even though it’s fully allowed since this IP and PORT ranges are maximum anyway).

Would it be possible to change the internal font used in CPF from non-serif to serif?

There are several trojans that use the fact that an upper case non-serif " I" and the number ONE (1) look the same as a non-serif lower case “l”, particularly with the Windows system default non-serif font. This can make it much harder to spot the difference between mongrel.dll (MONGREL.DLL - a valid file) and mongrel .dl1 or mongrel.dlI.

A small point I know, but the small points still count. :wink:

Ewen :slight_smile:
(WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3)

Here’s my other post from the beta section with some modifications:

After playing with the new version for 30 minutes, here are my comments/suggestions at the moment.

1. If I were to turn off Application Monitor in Comodo, the following will happen:

http://swg.fg.bz/comodo/Comodo2.png

As you can see, I cannot uncheck any boxes in the Application Behavior Analysis section yet still it’s enabled and I cannot flush DNSes.
(This even applies if the switch is on “Allow All”)

1. Does the stateful inspection rules always have a priority? If so, is it possible to put them in the Network Monitor so I could place some rules that I want to explicit allow/deny. (Such as the one below)

http://swg.fg.bz/comodo/Comodo1.png

1. In Network Monitor, add an option that allows the user to specify description for the rules. (If they allow IP in packets for an IP for example, they could then know what machine it is for instead of remembering which IP is which)

2. Add checkboxes in Network Monitor that allows the rules to be easily enabled/disabled without having the move rules all the way to the bottom (below the block rule - this is useful since users could then test rules or turn a trusted zone into an internet zone fairly quickly)

3. Possbily add “grouped rules” if a rule matches some packet description. (An example of a firewall that uses this structure is Jetico, which makes the firewall extremely powerful).

4. Allow drag-and-drop of rules in Network Monitor. (it’s a hassle if you have a fairly long ruleset and you have to click a hundred times Move down to get the rule down where you want it if you are testing rules)

5. For application monitor, add an option for “Listening/Binding”, and also give an option so that the user could customize what Zone(s) the application could bind/listen to. (Allow the application to listen/bind regardless but block incoming connections from zones that are not “trusted” for the application)

6. Add a description for outbound DNS? Outbound DNS is so common so a description should be added?

http://swg.fg.bz/comodo/Comodo3.png

9. Resizing the application window automatically resizes the columns in the subwindow, is this a bug or is this designed this way?
10. Doing taskkill /f /im cmdagent.exe kills the Comodo service, yet Comodo doesn't restart it or it could be restarted. (The Comodo driver is still active, keeping the rules/restrictions intact though, but the user cannot configure anything until the machine is restarted to allow the service to restart)
  1. In my opinion, I think the Comodo Launch Pad is extremely annoying. I found it a big hassle to have to click Show Application Window after clicking the Launch Pad icon. (This is one big reason why I stopped using McAfee after they introduced their McAfee SecurityCenter feature. I found it annoying and “bloaty”) I would recommend Comodo combine these “recommdations” in the firewall interface by adding an extra tab in the firewall’s GUI. (It would save ~20MB of RAM, anyways)

2. Although not important, maybe add a Comodo Lite version which will feature less-intensive GUI and graphics designed for people who are RAM-concious. (A lot of people wants an application that works well & fast, and the looks are not important to them.) (ex. RealPlayer - Real Alternative, QuickTime - QuickTime Alternative, Windows Media Player - Windows Media Lite)

13. Can someone tell me how the SPI is structured in Comodo? Customizable in the future?
  1. For the final version of Comodo, would offline activation be possible? (Some computers use Comodo to protect their LANs, yet they don’t have Internet access)

2. In Activity → Logs, add columns to each entry so that the user could locate events more easily and not have to click on each one to look at the details. (For example, add SRCPORT, DESPORT, SRC, DES, PROTCOL etc)

16. XP Shadow for Networking Icon not showing up correctly. "On" is supposed to be "on"? :P

http://swg.fg.bz/comodo/Comodo4.png

Also it seems that the wizard could create duplicate rules in the Networking Monitor, but I am not complaining. :slight_smile:

1. Elaborate on the “Flood Detection” feature in Comodo. Could it be disabled? Does it only apply to inbound connections & established connections? What if the firewall is configured as a “stealth” firewall?

18. Possible in future version/beta? Network Monitor: Filter by protocol type regardless of ports? (Jetico has this built in as protocol rules)

1. Activity Icon (and lights) as some might have already suggested - I loved how Jetico shown green up and down arrows when there were traffic and red up and down arrows when some/all traffic are blocked.

2. ARP Poison Prevention and Detection (prevent spoofed ARP packets and middleman attacks)

3. Password Protection

4. Custom/Internal International Language Support (.LNG file support or built in internal languages)

That’s it for now, when I see something, I will come and report.
Sorry if any of these are already issued. (Take it as an re-enforcement if you wish. ;))

Thank you Comodo Team for such great software! Keep up the great work!

My Two Suggestions For CPS.

Firstly and Foremost. The one most annoying thing about this otherwise excellent Firewall.

Are the warnings about “Refuses to communicate with Comodo Personal Firewall”.

All my other security apps. As soon as I boot bring this message up in Comodo. And allowing it just ensures it will come back on the next boot. However with KAV v5 Personal. Everytime it wants to do a definitions update (which is once every 3 hours for me) it cant do it as it brings up this warning.

Second suggestion. Is because i just wanted the Firewall running to save on system resources. I disabled the Comodo Launch Pad from my start up registry. So just the firewall loads on boot up.

However the problem with this. Is that there is no icon for the firewall now in the running task bar.

And if i want to view logs or make any changes to CPF i have to load and run up the Launch Pad to make any changes. This then brings the icon in the task bar. But greatly! increases system resources because more processes are running.

So as a suggestion would you consider releasing a Comodo Firewall lite version that does not have the Launch Pad. Or a smaller on resources Launch Pad perhaps

Thanks
Anthony

Hi, why not create a desktop or quicklaunch icon for cpf?

That is what i am currently doing. But it still would be nice to have it in the taskbar.

-add an ok button to close the details page of a popup.

-update the applicatin information so that it correctly identifies an adapter. cpf identifies my intel 2915 abg wireless adpater as ethernet.

-add a link to google that would do a search for an application in a popup. hard to allow or deny an action if the user doesn’t know what the file is (or isn’t).

-add options in create a zone to stealth the connection, disable file and printer sharing, etc. this would save creating additional rules.

-create an option to save the firewall configuration to a folder of the users’ choice. would be handy if the application is uninstalled then reinstalled eg after a reinstall of the operating system.

-add a wireless intrusion module that would scan for all networks or computers attempting to, or available to connect to the users’ machine. this would allow the user to allow or ban locations. perhaps the mac address would be a good criterial to use.

-allow the user to allow or ban applicatins based on a zone. this would be useful where a user disconnects from their home interent connection and goes to a public wireless hopspot where there is no encryption of transmissions. maybe a user would allow an application to connect through an ethernet connection, but not in a wireless environment where their info could be intercepted. this assumes that cpf save zone configurations for use whenever a user connects to a particular network.

thanks, and keep up the good work

Ok, I have been informed to move a request here…

1. dump the launchpad and make a tray icon for cpf. I feel the launchpad is unneccessary bloat.

2. The ability to do an unattended install from a slipstreamed install cd. w/ regsitration code held in .ini file or something.

3. Activation possible without inet connection.

(L)

Hi Scott,

How else would you activate your firewall then?

I kind of like the way Slysoft (Clone Dvd, AnyDvd, etc…) does it.

You would be sent file (basically a .reg file) named Key.AnyDVD. When you install the AnyDvd software, it registers the file type to be openable by the application. Doubleclicking the key file opens the application, the application reads the file, and completes the activation/registration.

Hi,

That could work, but I really don’t see a problem with the registration key, why should Comodo change it?

How 'bout from the Connections pane, having the ability to Right-click on an entry and select the creation of a new rule or outright deny or allow?