CPF Wishlist rev 2

Here is what we had from Rev 1

Hi Everyone

Here is the final list compiled from the wishlist from CPF wishlist rev 1 and what has been implemented and what is still pending: I am now going to start CPF Wishlist rev 2. If you have any wishes or if I have missed anything pls post it there as I willl now lock this post. thanks for the great help you have been in this revision and

Congratulations to Justin1278, System and Ektorbarajas for providing us feedback that got implemented in the last version of the CPF. Of course we are taking every request seriously and continue to implement the wishes from this table :wink:

thanks
Melih

1)An option where we are allow to disable the automatic updates for both the Comodo Launch Pad and the firewall. I really perfer updating my programs manually.
Requested by: System: April 29, 2006, 03:48:43 am »

2)Upon install automatically disable Windows Firewall
Requested by: Justin1278 May 03, 2006, 02:14:47 am

3)Many software has some kind of Syste Crash / memory dump reporting. I found this useful when the system crashes and probably it was due to the app.
And This is most useful for the software developer.
So. Would suggest an implementation of such feature
Requested by: Ektorbarajas: May 09, 2006, 06:12:45 am

4)(1) Disabling the LaunchPad icon and simply having one system tray icon per Comodo Application (firewall, antivirus etc…)
(2) Having a “Super LaunchPad” that is aware of what Comodo software is running, and alters its system tray icon to show relevant information for all Comodo software… e.g. it would change to an in/out bargraph to display data bandwidth for the firewall, it would perhaps flash when antivirus is performing a scan… Turn red when antivirus detects malware… I’m sure the delevopers and other users out there could think of other uses too
Requested by: Dooplex: May 11, 2006, 09:24:36 am

5)For me a feature (present in version 1) needs to be added to your next release : the possibility to specify local port (or a range) in the rule creation
Requested: mab69: May 11, 2006, 10:10:55 pm

6)Ability to backup any customized settings such as rules, and other various config settings.
Requested by: bucknasty: April 29, 2006, 12:11:58 pm

7)There was a nice feature at the Sygate Personal Firewall, it shows the actual traffic in a diagramm. This is very usefull to see what traffic it is at the moment. Maybe it’s possible to ad such a diagramm.
Requested by:Hofsd: April 30, 2006, 02:46:38 am

8)My only wish is to be able to use the fire wall on both our desktops, without having to Log out each time. My dear hubby sometimes forgets to log me off before he signs in… Then he is unprotected as he surfs around the net. I know it warns him, but he does sometimes just ignore the warnings…

9)I would like to see Comodo Personal Firewall have like a feature for people who do online gaming. That way it shows all the IP’s of people who are connected with the user and possibly block them if there is a problem!
Requested by: Justin1278: April 30, 2006, 09:10:08 am

10)Interface fix. Not possible to resize the Details window while in LOGS. The details window is very small. It would be great if I could double click on a log entry and have it open up in a “pop-up” box, as entries do in Windows log entries.

Or have the ability to resize the details window. Also, ability to copy from the log without having to export to html or other type of formats.
Requested by: bucknasty: May 01, 2006, 12:18:10 pm

11)An option on the advanced settings to check the programs that have similar function with i-Valt (with the possibility to be activated or deactivated depending on the users needs) .
Requested by: Pandlouk: May 03, 2006, 03:09:22 pm

12)An option to reset all Comodo Firewall settings back to install default would be good, including clearing the component and application monitor lists which have to be cleared manually now
Requested by:Efjay May 05, 2006, 04:58:39 pm

13)I would like to see a firewall specific tray icon (that lets us know firewall is running) instead of the Launch Pad
Requested by: JimmyD May 06, 2006, 06:24:31 am

14)And as I said in previous posts. that the CPF tray icon have integrated some traffic display icon, like Zone Alarm does or other similar programs do
Requested by: Ektorbarajas: May 06, 2006, 02:49:34 pm

15)Nice to see cookie and script and referrer control . That would be nice
Requested by: Falkor: May 06, 2006, 04:39:30 pm

16)I was having a play around with Comodo Backup and found the “Protect configuration with password” option.
How come this isn’t in CPF? What’s the value in a security product that can be disabled, modified from a designated config or turned off?
Requested by: Panic: May 08, 2006, 11:31:04 pm

17)Security software must also have security to prevent the program to be closed, like a pasword protection or something, that denies stoping CPF.exe, cmdagent.exe etc.
Requested by: Ektorbarajas: May 09, 2006, 04:03:32 am

18)think there should be a bandwith monitor added into it that uses bars to represent the speed of the data that is being sent/received
Requested by:Zero3K: May 11, 2006, 04:17:42 am

19)Nice thought. But personally I would like, also to, have an option to choose between:

1. a tray icon
  2. a trasparent small window
  3. an optional bar like the one of windows media player
  4. not shown at all (to let users that don’t like it to disable it)
    I hate see more and more icons on system tray
    Requested by: Pandlouk: May 11, 2006, 01:06:28 pm

20)I would like to see 3 features like those of Outpost firewall: 1) HTTPLog, 2) Blockpost and 3) PC Flank ‘WhoEasy’ plugins. I like them a lot
Requested by: Pandlouk: May 12, 2006, 11:53:34 am

21)Please include a traffic log. with a whois function similar to sygates
Requested by: thatp1g: May 16, 2006, 10:11:56 am

22)Ability to work with Fast User Switching. This is a must for most home PC’s
Requestd by:smipx013: May 17, 2006, 12:16:41 am

23)I would like a button in aplication monitor menu, that could remove all uninstalled programs from the list… well if thats possible.
I try a lot of programs and after a month the cpf aplication monitor menu is full of software that I dont have installed anymore. And it is quite troublesome and annoying to manualy removing the entries, because the list scrolls up everytime I remove an enty (or entries).
Requested by: mad: May 20, 2006, 10:43:25 am

24)There’s a new posting that requested being able to export all CPF settings to an external file, to enable faster setup if reinstallation was required - good idea! Thinking further, one of the common problems with home LANs is making sure that the security settings on each and every PC are adequate and consistent.

How about adding the ability to distribute CPF config rules and changes from a “master” to other CPF installations on the home lan upon request? Hand in hand with this is the need to add password protection to the “master” (and to the application in general). This could also be added to CAV, as a means of ensuring that the AV databases are up to date consistently across the LAN, and also would reduce outbound traffic and lower the load on your servers.

When I first thought of this, I did think that it may compicate things too much, but it doesn’t have to. The sequence could be as simple as

1. remote workstation “pings” master
  2. if not exist, revert to usual update schedule and mechanism
  3. if exist, send data containing AV and FW file versions
  4. if master has higher versions, send updates to remote
  5. remote intergrates updates
  6. if master has no higher versions, revert to usual update schedule and mechanism
  7. end

Initial traffic could be as low as a dozen packets, so I don’t think it would impact throughput seriously. This method sort of places a reliance on the master being available, but is overcome by having the remote reverting to the conventional update method. This could be invoked either on startup or as a preliminary step in the conventional update process, again relieving the load on your servers.
Requested by: Panic: May 20, 2006, 01:27:35 pm

25)Another idea following on from my prior posts - in the case of an infection getting inside the LAN, when the master updates, the FW should stop ALL other traffic for the duration of the update - just in case the traffic is being caused by an infection the update is designed to kill.
Requested by: Panic: May 21, 2006, 12:14:15 am

26)I would like to see the ability to define “groups” of IP addresses or URL’s and then be able to define Application xyz has access to this group or these groups.

See https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,245.0.html

for further discussion.
Requested by: Bazza: May 21, 2006, 01:17:30 pm

27)My wish: Revert to factory setting button, that will reset/delete all rules
Requested by: Neji: June 01, 2006, 04:14:46 pm

28)1. The ability that CPF remembers the redimension of the columns of Network Monitor, Application Monitor,etc.
(I think that this has been solved in the version 2.1.0.1. Please correct me if I am wrong)
2. The ability to copy the description, from the description window which stands in the lower space of the “Network monitor” panel. It would simplify the process of reporting those settings at the forum and for giving quick support. I think that its a great Idea and it can be very usufull if this option is expanded also at the details windows of the other panels
Requested by: Pandlouk: June 01, 2006, 11:11:52 pm

29)1) Something different in the Tray Icon area. I like having a firewall Icon I can double click on to open the firewall program and not having to click multiple buttons or links to get the firewall opened.

1. Under “Activity / Connections” have one line for each item.

An example:

YahooMessenger.exe has 8 things listed for connections. It would be nice if this was listed just once with a PLUS Sign next to it that I could click to see all the connections that Program has.
    Requested by:gwheaton: June 02, 2006, 01:47:17 am

30)It would be good to see the number of “Blocked Incoming Traffic” events like ZoneAlarm and McAfee do.

The other thing is that AOL 9 doesn’t Detect that there is a Firewall installed but I’m currently inquiring with them about that one…
Requested by: EricEgan: June 02, 2006, 08:34:24 pm

Hi,

I still can’t try the CPF, until you change the installer, but I would like to suggest to have on the Traffic window, an option to show a flag of the country of the remote address…

Like in Port Explorer…

Regards

Hi,

How about if CPF sort of communicated with CAV and used its signatures to look for viruses etc in internet traffic and alert the user before the malware is downloaded. Kind of like an Intrusion Detection System.

What do you think?

Mike

I would like for CPF’s popup notifications to be able to draw infront of Fullscreen applications.
This would be very useful for gaming.
Indications of why the current behaviour is problematic here:
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,194.0.html

It would be nice for there to be a wizard as part of the installation process to set the network settings according to how to connect to the internet. Working from a home wireless network, I’ve had to add the rule to allow traffic from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255 which I had to do manually. Just a thought…

G’day,

There should be a downloadable installation guide and/or FAQ available on the web site and included in the application download. This should apply to all Comodo applications, not just the CPF.

Ewen :slight_smile:

I messed up my windows startup with a registry cleaner. The backup didnt help. I must reinstal CPF because I didnt find the option “start with windows”. Could you please implement it? It shouldnt be very difficult. Thanks

ok, thought of something else

I mentioned that under Application Control Rules it would be nice instead of having all the rules show up for an application, to have the application listed once and a plus sign next to it to display all the rules for that application.

Also, it would be nice that where it has Permission list, if you clicked on the permission, you could change the permession instead of having to select the rule then select edit.

A standalone un-installer that can be downloaded from the comodo site.

Hi it’s me again…

Finally got my CPF Network settings right after much help from “panic” (big thanks)

Looking at the Activity Logs I have a couple of suggestions that I don’t think have exactly been mentioned…

Firstly, would it be possible in the Description to have the Source IP on the main display instead of the remote IP which is obviously my router Internet IP Address (The 172…) it would be easier to keep track of the source IP’s that try to intrude my system.

Secondly, under the same bit, it would be cool if you could sort the log (ie) by clicking on the word Description (For example) or Severity.

All else is very very cool! So happy I switched to Comodo!

Eric

I wish that comodo could remember what it has already downloaded when it’s updating it’s programming so that in the event that the user’s internet connection is severed for any reason the download ( update ) could resume where it left off… Just like windows update does now…

That would be a good feature, Wouldn’t it…??? ::slight_smile:

;D

(J)

I would like to be able to define a zone with a list of IPs, rather than a single range. For example, I would like to treat a list of DNS servers as a zone. I can set them up one at a time, but this would be much more convenient.

I would like that the Comodo Personal Firewall have a module to protect us from the wireless threats, like the AirDefense Personal can protect.

http://www.airdefense.net/products/adpersonal/index.php

I really like to see this kind of protection on CPF as an option :wink:

Regards

Great idea - this would cater for bridged WANS.

Ewen :slight_smile:

A product to enhance a wireless home network setup. Although setting and changing security settings is ok it still is a real pain to do. A good product that automates a lot of effort would be great.

To expand I see this product be able to:

Fully integrated with CPF
Be able to be user friendly for the setting up of security password/s and WEP or WPA encryption.
To warn you of any attempted access to your wireless network.

Thanks you.

My biggest problem with CPF as it stands now is that anyone who uses the computer can change the settings. That includes my son who runs as a non-administrator level user. That’s clearly a problem as I want to restrict the programs my son might want to run (e.g. IM applications or Bittorent).

Basically I would like to be able to control who can change the firewall configuration or be allowed to answer a popup such as “allow application X to access port Y.” Initially, that could be controlled by the level of user that is using the computer. Probably a good default would be to allow users who are “Power Users” or “Administrator” users to do this and not allow limited users to do this. You should allow this to be configurable (e.g. so someone could allow a different User Group to configure the firewall).

A more elaborate feature would be to allow for per-user security policies for both network-level stuff and the applications that can be run. For example, I could specify that my user login could run putty, but not my son. Or if I’m logged in, I could access a certain subnet on my network, but my son could not.

In another thread, there was talk of “centrally managing this stuff.” The realm of centralized management clearly puts you in the “pay feature” category. I’m not looking for centralized management, just trying to secure a single computer. All my other computers run other OSes. :slight_smile:

There was a very useful feature in Black ICE (the FW i was using before Sygate and before Comodo), it allowed to easily define a black list of IPs (including ranges) to be banned on a certain port or range of ports. I was even able to import lists of IPs and IP ranges from TXT files … (like those created by the Mail Server log, a bit revised.
In my case this was extremely useful since I used it to ban Spamming IPs from accessing my Port 25 (SMTP server).

I would like the ability to specify more than one parent application for each application rule.
I currently have multiple rules for firefox i.e. Parent == Outlook, FeedDemon, Explorer etc…
This clutters the application rules up a lot.

Using CPF more I found another useful thing missing … I could not find a log of all rejected connections with date/time and short reason (due to rules or any other reason).
This could be very useful for analisys and other purposes … inclusing for administration of black lists.

I worked on setting ranges of IPs to ban on my port 25 (SMTP) … it works fine but the process to set them, one by one, is very hard and slow.

Best regards

lorenzopar,
If you goto Security >>> Network Monitor and select the Block Incoming item. Do a right click and select edit. There’s an option on there to “Log Events” this will show all blocked incoming events in your firewall log.

Eric