COMODO V5 & V6 Users Count Poll

I use version 5 because i can make it stop phoning.
And because i can see how many cpu time the antivirus takes. In version 6 its hidden by spawning of new processes.
And because i can see the traffic and block counter in the main window.
And other reasons.

Version 6 feels like a backpack full with summer and winter clothes… while i travel to sahara. And you have to dig deep to find a sinle thing, among the “useless”.

“Outdated” … that are words of marketing. If version 5 is outdated, it has been outdated all the time.

:-TU +1
We have two or three Group of users:
1- New Users: this group have nice time with V6 and very little alerting COMODO what is doing
2- Average Users: This Group as the New users not have big problems with COMODO and Prefer to always Update their Products.
3- Advanced Users: Most of this users have Big Problems in Quick-Work in COMODO Interface, Every Alert need more attention and time for reading and understanding alerts and more time need in Answer to alerts.
and another thing is settings and Summary Screen. this group need a V5 Like Interface.
another thing is Right Click on COMODO Icon and Menu’s and easily switch in AV,Firewall,Defense levels.
and the Active Connections Screen this group need.
advanced User like some new features but with this resons, Can’t upgrade their products and stay & wait for an update that fix and change the way user use COMODO.

Im still runing v5 because:

1. lighter then v6 (A LOT);
  2. more intuitive gui then v6 (A LOT);
  3. less processes running in my system (LESSER THEN V6);
  4. no fancy effects on the gui making my cpu and ram goes crazy (v6 has A LOT);
  5. no lags when running multiple aplications (in v6 i experience A LOT of lag when running opera + urban terror + miranda + thundrbird + explorer + aida64)

and I have more to add here… cis 6 uses A LOT more cpu and ram then v5; has fancy gui effects that are useless; lags my system when im running multiple aplications; has a lot of running processes; has widgets running even if I disable it… and so on…

if v6 doesnt get some more intuitive gui and use less ram and cpu Ill stay away from cis when v5 stop beeng updated…

I see.

One would think that having a stable release would be beneficial, where you fix all the bugs in one release before you work on your next release, but it appears that CIS is like one of those Linux software projects that never have a stable release, always bleeding edge, eh?

What about your users who just want to use their computers to do work instead of being perpetual beta-testers for new features?

My unsoliticed opinion on this subject:

When Windows XP was released, they had a new interface, but they kept the old interface as an option and called it Classic.

This is what Comodo should have done.

CIS should have been modularised, so that the security engines are separate entitities from the interace.

For example, in financial firms, they use Cobol to do the calculations on a mainframe, the data is fed to some kind of web server running Windows or Unix, and there is some form of interprocess communication between the two systems.

Similary, in Linux, there are distributions with different windowing environments.
The core linux is the same, but there are many different interfaces to choose from.

IMO the only solution is for Comodo to add the v5 interface to v6, like adding Classic to Windows 7 if someone at Microsoft was dumb enough to leave it out when 7 was released.
If CIS is designed in a modular fashion, this should not be too difficult.

I do not have use for any of the new “features” in v6; just like some people use Windows Classic interface with Windows 7, I prefer v5 interface, it justs works, I am secure.

This is like me having 5-lock system on my door for years, NEVER had a break-in, and some guy tells me he can give me a ten-lock system for FREE! that is ten times more powerful, but I have to spend my time learning new way to use these new locks.

What is ten times an A, is it not the same A on the report card?

Maybe free in cost, but what about my time, time needed to learn something new I don’t need?

XP was v5 of Windows; I skipped the terrible v6 of Windows, AKA Vista but upgraded to Windows 7.
CIS v6 is an abomination, just like Vista; I will have to stick with v5 until v7 appears, even though Melih has clearly stated previously in this thread that v5 has a lot of bugs, even though it is no longer supported.

TROLL DETECTED.!!! :o :o

Who? I don’t see any troll in here in fact the closest I can find is this very post I’m quoting. If you meant axl (I’m just assuming since his comment is right above yours) then please explain why you think so because I agree with what he is saying to a large extent.

In no way whatsoever is V6 an “abomination”. It is the best version ever offered in my opinion and the only one I have ever recommended to anyone else of average or lower computer expertise.

I like CIS 6 and I use CIS 6 Because

1. I find it easy to use.
  2. It is light on my system
  3. there are more features in CIS 6

Though I do miss the summary screen that CIS 5 had and I wonder when they will add it as egeman said in a wish on the wishlist.

I don’t like V6 because
1 - The main screen is a completely useless waste of space, I’d like a v5-style summary there instead.
2 - Killswitch - separate application/download for monitoring activity. It takes a long time to start and I don’t need all the functions. A simple and quick v5-style built-in connections viewer with ability to terminate connections would be better.
3 - Widget? No, thank you.

Otherwise I could get used to it, but for now I’m staying with v5.

Version 6 on my all computers. The reason, it’s more stable than V5 plus some other good new features. However, there is room for improvements! :wink:

Version 5 here. I’ve had a policy since version 4 to wait until Comodo releases the version that updates the current version to the next version and then I do a clean install. I figure that there’s always bugs that make it past all of the beta testing and aren’t found until the program is on the full range of systems the general public uses. New features especially bring new bugs even if Version 5 bugs were fixed.

As far as stability is concerned, version 5 never crashes on my system. How much more stable can it get?

I’d also like to point out that this is a security application, not a video game. Words like, “boring”, aren’t relevant.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I presume this could be directed at me since I used the word boring earlier in the topic.
It is like parked on the side of a highway and going nowhere.
Be stationary for to long and you will go crazy.
IMO it is relevant.

Video games, what are they. ???
Oh hang on, are they not something we plugged and played on the television screen as a child.

I didn’t remember exactly who said it. I just remembered it was said and there was at least one other person with similar sentiments, although, “boring” wasn’t used. For me Comodo sits quietly in the corner of my taskbar and protects my computer. On occasion I open it up to change a setting or check on things. As long as it protects my computer I’m fine with it. I don’t see entertainment as part of its job. When I feel the time is right, I will update it, but I’m in no hurry.

Hi Cassette,
Fair enough, in your situation I understand that you like it just to sit in the corner and do its thing. :-TU

I myself like to learn more about how the program works in the hope that I might be able to help others with issues or questions about it in the future.
Also for it to protect the system as well. :wink:

Thanks for your reply back, it is appreciated.
Thanks.

I have reverted back to comodo firewall 5.12.
How long will i be able to use this firewall until it becomes insecure or out of date. ???

Hi

I use version 5 because it is lighter and it is possible to see the Internet traffic easily.
It is also easier to find the different settings.

I use V6

because

• its engine updates obviously unlike V5,
  • it feels even lighter then V5,
  • it has “Reset Sandbox”
  • it has “Shared Space”
  • it has improved BB

in spite of

• its unfriendly GUI

I put CIS 6 on my mom-in-law’s underpowered netbook and it doesn’t slow it down one bit. This is the type of machine that you would notice anything causing further slowness. She also doesn’t know that much about computers, so it’s perfect for her. She can use it and not need to worry about all the popups, the interface is simpler and so on.

That said, I also put CIS 6 on my personal machine as well because I was impressed with it’s performance. Just because I am a techie, doesn’t mean that I want to be hounded by pop-ups. I do like simpler things. :wink: Granted, there are times I do miss the more advanced UI, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. I know the UI will change over time and it’s easier to update version 6.x to a newer 6.y, than it is to go from 5.x, so when I reformatted, I put 6 on. It really is lighter and faster than 5.x and makes my system fly. I have insanely fast boot times!

Back to 5 after 6 grinded my pc to a halt. Very thing selected or opened made “system” run the cpu to 50+% and hanged for 2-3 minutes like that on XP. On Windows 7 it is did not do it on the same hardware. (Duel booting XP and 7)