Comodo Security Agent Could Not Be Started

This looks like a bug to me.

If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

Same issue here: suddendly, I got the mentioned error message too. This happens every time I restart my PC.

It’s curious that when I tried to get back to 6.3 release, no message appeared, but it came out again just after the database update.

Can you see if diagnostics can fix this?

The diagnostic seems to fix, though it ends with “no error found” message.

In any case, the issue occures again at the following startup.

I also noticed that if i choose not to run the diagnostic, the network gets off.

Hi everyone, I’m having the same problem. When I set service to automatic, it changes back to manual after a reboot. Is there a way to fix that so that the service (COMODO Virtual Service Manager) stays to automatic? thank you very much

Gonna uninstall COMODO Internet Security soon if no feedback of issue repair will come from the devs or the community… :frowning:

Did you try a clean install of CIS:

Did you try a clean install in the process you have been through and did you exclude the possible influence of other security programs running in the background? If that’s the case then all we can do is wait for a next release of CIS and see if it got fixed. I cannot make it any more better… :-\

Hello EricJH, thank you for your suggestions.

I did a clean reinstall so many times, following the posted guide and even running Uninstaller Tool 0.3b: no results.

I had no other security tools in the past.

The error message just suddenly appeared after a regular reboot.

Waiting for a now release for CIS…

Or if you have the energy file a bug report. You have clearly encountered a bug.

I agree with further observations of the problem made by jurynet, had the same.
I´d also like to note that CPF 7.0.317799.4142 exhibits similar problems to the ones described for 8.

Since I´m not filing a bug report right now (any chance you would do this task, jurynet?), I went back to CPF 6.3 for the time being.

I’m quite dubtful a bug report could help, since no errors are found when the diagnostic ends. In any case, I’ll could manage to provide one…

What I can presume in that CIS 8.x (and also 7.x) got not 100% compatible after a particular Windows update (I cannot guess which one): that’s the only probably reason.

I could suggest to investigate on the differences between CIS 6.3 and 8.x.

Here is my present diagnostic report, attached…

[attachment deleted by admin]

A bug report would still be very worthwile even when diagnostics bring nothing to the table. There are more angles Comodo QA can take from a bug report.

If you have the time and energy please consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!.

Reporting of bugs is strictly moderated to make sure Comodo gets clear bug reports. So, please make sure you closely follow protocol. That way your report will certainly be seen by Comodo staff.

This problem (CIS version 7) is likely being caused by an error in the registry.

The ‘CmdAgent’ key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services,
or other backup ControlSets contain subkeys that are broken and cannot be accessed in any way.
That’s why uninstalling and reinstalling CIS doesn’t work, and why it cannot remember its settings (kept in some subkeys). Downgrading to version 6 appears to solve the problem because that version doesn’t use these subkeys.

To solve the problem, [b]delete the 'CmdAgent' key and all of its subkeys[/b] in those ControlSet001, 002, etc. backup sets. You might be lucky using Windows regedit.exe for this (after gaining ownership and setting permissions), but probably you're out of luck because regedit cannot handle the error.

To delete the ‘CmdAgent’ key using regedit, select its ‘Mode’ subkey first. Then import the attached ‘emptyhive’ file using File > Import. That will erase all erroneous subkeys of het ‘Mode’ subkey.
The ‘CmdAgent’ parent key can now be deleted in a normal way.

After this deletion CIS can copy its configuration back again to ControlSet001, start as it should and remember its settings.

If you like to reinstall CIS without losing its settings, open CIS and navigate to General Settings > Configuration.
Right-Click on the Active configuration and select export. After reinstallation, navigate to there again and import your exported settings. Don’t forget to close all panels afterwards, otherwise the imported data won’t stick.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nice job hifi55!

It solved for me: I was quite going to give up and get back to CIS 6.3 definitively…

Best Regards

OW Thank You hifi55, i’ll try this and get back.

Just wanted to mention that after many attempts i did succesfully install the last verion, but i get this message.

However! After i click OK, nothing happens. Comodo is still dead.

Later Edit:
unfortunately, it doesn’t work in my case.

Hallo dear sirs.I use Win XP SP2.AMD Athlon™XP 2800+ 2.08 GHz, 1,00GB RAM.
I was at my village, away from city and my computer since 11 of April.Today at 22 of April I came back,turned on my PC, the Commondo sign was red,indicating
that my computer was at risk,needing update. I let it go on,as I was moving stuff around my house, and eventually the sign turned green. When I pressed the icon of Mozilla Firefox,It did not start.I tried to restart the PC, but did not respond,so I restarted it with the hardware button. When it booted up, there was no sign of the …Commondo sign,(Up right corner)and no sign at the toolbar,(down right corner). When I double clicked on the commondo shortcut,it had a window: “Comodo security agent could not be started.Would you like to run the diagnostics tool to fix this error?”.

And I just run the diagnostics tool,which said the diagnostic tool found no errors. After trying half a dozen of times to start the Comondo I.S.again, I had the same result.I rerun the diagnostics tool.I also restarted my PC a couple of times,just in case. But nothing.I eventually made a system restore back to the 10th of April,and my CIS was working,but it had that red sign indicating that it needed updates.I prompted it to update, and again the same problem:“Comodo security agent could not be started. Would you like to run the diagnostics tool to fix this error?”

Eventually I uninstalled it, and tried to install the CIS from the start. I downloaded cispremium_installer_6100_08.exe from the comodo website, and it’s like the file is a dead file.When I run it, an unpacker seems to extract some files,but after that, It is nothing.I even brought the task manager in front of me to understand what is going on.While the unpacker is working, it shows it self in the processes list. After it extracts,it disapears from the list. My guess is that from last time I had checked, at 11 of April 2015, Comodo stopped supporting the Win XP on their software updates, and the file cispremium_installer_6100_08.exe doesn’t work on my PC.

What do you think?

I removed numerous enters to provide for an easier read. I did not edit the content; just the punctuation. Eric

The latest release, v 8.2, has popped up the question if Comodo started using a newer compiler which uses functions that are not available on old processors. Something similar happened with Avira a couple of weeks ago.

I emphasized the question in the release topic trying to catch BuketB’s attention.

Can I download a previous version of the C.I.S. and just prevent it from upgrading?I mean the program.The virus signatures are completely separated from the application software right?
How can I tell CIS to ignore the program updates,but to keep on updating its Virus Signatures?I go to Advanced options and to general settings, on the page with the updates.Right?
(I hope I;m right.) But where can I find the version that I had before the 11th of April of 2015?I didn’t even pay attention to this stuff, so I don’t know which is it…

You can disable updates under Configure Program and Virus Database Updates. You can get older version from Filehorse: Comodo Internet Security 12.2.2.8012 Download for Windows / Old Versions / FileHorse.com .

The latest version is 8.2. You likely had the last version of the 8.1 branch.