To inquire more about PrivDog, refer to the following:
Contact e-mail address: info@PrivDog.com

if you have any probs

Very true costerin

but that is all I’m saying !ot! (:WIN)

(:TNG) That old question Who let the dog out

now we know it was Melih >:-D

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Unless I am missing something, every time I try to add a website to the Privdog exceptions it comes up “wrong domain”. I have tried 2/3 different sites with the same result. I copy/paste the url from the browser title bar.

Hi buseng,
Shorten the URL/Website name.
Example: https://forums.comodo.com

Add: forums.comodo.com

Thank you, ok now.

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Could you please share some sites url, which don’t work for you, for analyze?

Comodo forum didn’t worked. I had to use IE. Google didn’t worked…

Right now all working fine… Go figure… I think I’m having issues with CIS again… Maybe that’s why…

Maybe, cause seems to me Comodo Forum free from ads and we shouldn’t block it :slight_smile: Anyway, will be glad to hear any new feedbacks.

:o

Wait, woah, a few questions if I may …

1. What the heck happened to PrivAlert ? ( dont go pointing at PrivDog … Unless it is ? )

2. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t Comodo making PrivAlert ?

3. Before we download this update, can PrivDog be de-selected so that it does not install ?

4. Why are you providing a third party plugin with the installer, shouldn’t it be separate ?

5. Who the flying pajamas is Adtrustmedia, LLC. ???

6. Have you included THIS LOT in Comodo Dragons installer

7. Have you included THIS LOT in Comodo Dragons installer

Those last 3 questions in particular are pertinent ( Ad, and Trust, and Media do not really go well together imho )

I get the simple explanation benefits of using this …

An Ad company, wants to install a malvertisement blocking mechanism, which will replace those malvertisements ( and possibly others ) with … wait for it …

behaviorally targeted advertisements

1. Does it respect if you have also selected Do Not Track ?

And Lastly …

1. The problem with Ghostery was you became subject to the plugins T&Cs and EULA ( it being a mechanism itself of an advertising company ) … The trade off was it was good at doing what it said it will do ( blocking a lot more than it could potential gather about you, and no other plugin quite did everything Ghostery did ). Along comes PrivAlert we assume written by Comodo so equals even more trustworthy and did the same job if not better than Ghostery … Now you have dropped it and replaced with this ?

Personally, until the above are answered ( and assured that we do not have to let PrivDog install at all if we so choose ), I am reluctant to download this update.

AND I NOTE THAT IT IS ONLY DUE TO COSTERINs POST THAT WE KNOW TO LOOK AT A WEBSITE WHICH ON THE FACE OF IT SEEMS OUTSIDE OF COMODOS REALM >>

IN OTHER WORDS WHY WAS THAT INFORMATION NOT GIVEN IN THE FIRST POST INSTEAD OF JUST A ONE LINER WHICH READS “DRAGON INCLUDES PRIVDOG EXTENSION”

<snigger snigger, they will all think its PrivAlert with a slightly altered name>

There are probably some wrong assumptions in my train of thoughts above … How would we know ?

Is Comodo PrivDog an entirely different beast to the one on its own website ?

I think I will refrain from updating, and stick with the trusty MVPS hosts file until the above are answered by someone in the know ( not just someone making naming associations )

PrivDog forum (all is explained)
https://forums.comodo.com/privdog-b303.0/

Now that would have been good in the first post on introducing this plugin to the world for the first time included with Dragon.

Okay, initial mister grump response quelled somewhat.

Thanks NSG001, on a cursory look through ( going to have more of a read after posting, and bookmarked for any issues / concerns which pop up later ( pun intended :slight_smile: ) ) … It looks like a lot of information people will be needing for this … For people wary of Privacy and Security issues, who are attracted to this browser, probably witnessed a lot of mission creep / hidden agendas throughout their history of using the internet - Needless to say there will be suspicion.

Having read a fair portion of it, I am starting to consider getting my feet wet so to speak.

And one thing that did make me laugh, while I was reading the AdTrustMedia llc Privacy policy …

This :

1. Collection of Personal Information

For End Users
No personal information of end users is collected.

For Advertisers/Publishers/User Owners:
Personal information is collected by AdTrustMedia, LLC in order to establish your account, to handle billing and to understand your specific needs to serve you better. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable, such as your name, address, email address, Tax ID or phone number.

The world has just turned upside down :), ad company targetting ad companies not users … bizarre

And reference my questions 6 and 7 in reply #31 … Found the relevant part of Comodo’s installer agreement for anyone curious before installing …

"6.7. Third Party Extensions. Comodo Dragon Browser may include third party extensions
for blocking, removing or replacing advertisements. The third party extensions may
show you a limited number of ads on your screen. Any third party extensions are
provided under the terms and end user license agreement as included with the third
party software extension and attached hereto as Schedule 1: [EULA], and Schedule 2
respectively [Privacy Policy]. The third party extensions can be uninstalled, in two
ways:

1. by uninstalling the Dragon browser, through the operating system Add/Remove
    programs function.
  2. by uninstalling the plug-in from the browser’s settings menu.
    To do this,
    • Click the Menu button and Select and select “Settings”
    • Next, select the “Extensions” tab on the left.
    • Locate the PrivDog plug-in from the list and click the trash can icon to the right."

Yeah, I am taking the plunge … If only to try and find something to moan about :slight_smile:

Benefit of the doubt time. Here’s hoping I will be pleasantly surprised.

As pointed out by NSG001 there is more info in the PrivDog area but I’m going to paste my comments here to make it easier for people to view.

Melih also gave an excellent insight into PrivDog.

PrivDog protects you as you browse the Internet by stopping websites including uninvited guests when you connect to their server, and probably unknown to you, connecting to other unknown servers.

What is PrivDog?
Introducing PrivDog, a powerful new privacy tool to compliment your Dragon’s existing privacy improvements.

Just like an AntiVirus treats files as viruses, PrivDog treats files on the internet as privacy and potential security risks. An AntiVirus program only allow safe files to run and similarly PrivDog prevents certain files from running in your browser.

As is well known, the best way to stay safe on the web is to only connect your computer to well known reputable sites, however, more and more there are security risks even doing that. When you visit a site, let’s say CNN.com, your intention was to only visit that site as you know it’s credibility, however, in reality sites like this use Advertising Networks to show advertisements. These Ad Networks often then deliver ads from other advertisers. This leads to a situation where your computer will unwittingly and unintentionally connect to several of the ever-increasing unknown ad servers. These are effectively uninvited guests to the CNN.com website and pose a security threat to your system. The content they show is decided dynamically at the time the ad is downloaded to your computer and is not vetted in advance by the web page authors of CNN.com and therefore cannot be considered to have the same level of trust and credibility. PrivDog ensures that only sanitized ads from a safe source are shown and prevents your computer from connecting to all these uninvited and unknown servers.

PrivDog is designed to protect your privacy but you can’t have real privacy without security. PrivDog goes further than regular privacy protection tools and ads a layer of security by blocking these potential threats.

An ever increasing problem seen on today’s websites is large, intrusive and CPU hungry advertisements. Many of these advertisements have large numbers of frames using up your bandwidth causing the website content you visited the site for to appear last and slowing down your browsing experience. The larger number of frames eats into your CPU time and slows down your browser and even effects other applications running on your computer and the speed of the operating system itself. More and more we are seeing large and intrusive full page pop-up ads appear inside pages stopping you dead in your tracks until you locate the tiny close button often deliberately hard to find. PrivDog sanitizes all your ads and prevents all these problems from occurring in the first place speeding up your system and improving your browsing experience.

Adobe Flash advertisements are prevalent on today’s websites. The use of Flash has come under ever increasing scrutiny from the computing industry due to its resource hungry and privacy breaching video. Flash advertisements use a lot of bandwidth and can be intrusive. In addition the use of Flash allows advertisers to employ the use of something called Flash cookies or supercookies. Many people today see super cookies as one of the web’s biggest threats to user privacy. Blocking or clearing your browser’s cookies will have no effect on super cookies. PrivDog prevents Flash advertisements from being shown and prevents these Flash cookies from being stored in the first place.

Ever seen those comment boxes below a photo from a new site, seems safe enough right? You may be surprised to hear many of these social comments boxes use technologies that track your movements around the internet and the data is used to profile you.

Some pages just don’t respond until I close and start the browser again…
Edit: I get this “Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.”

Edit 2: (unrelated) 1000 posts =P

Please, give an example.

It’s random, it seems it can happen to any page and when it does I have to restart the browser and then I’m allowed onto that page (sometimes several restarts are required) a few examples are:

Oh also, when I try to install extensions I get a download that seems to just freeze.
Edit: apparently all my downloads get stuck right before they are done. “1,231/1,231 KB, 0 secs left” it still hasn’t completed.

Edit 2: I gave Comodo Dragon another chance and I was left disappointed :-\ back on Opera now, already missing PrivDog.

Is it depends on PrivDog enabled/disabled? or it stuck anyway and everywhere?