best antivirus? [merged]

As I said I was just parroting what I read (on the Avira forum and elsewhere). Protection against malicious termination has recently been implemented into AntiVir. However, it was described as ‘buggy’ by some users: one user was able to easily kill all Avira processes via taskmanager, then he wasn’t (Avira saying it was protected), then he was again. But maybe they have fixed it.
That’s another thing I love about AntiVir: They are normally quite fast to respond to any flaws that are discovered.
Cheers,
grampa.

I suppose with implementing any new functionality there’s always a case of a few teething problems,as you say Avira are quick to respond to issues.It is a top grade AV though,no doubt and improving all the time,the fact that it’s detection rate exceeds almost any other product,including the so called ‘giants’ speaks volumes.
The only minor issue with it is the update process which can be somewhat laboured,if they could speed it up,more like Avast,that’d help.

I guess there’s people from commercial companies out there who tell you to be normal PC users and then tell you that shit.

If it’s not shit, I’ll be interested.

But somehow I feel, Avira is still a rather secure thingie concerning AVs.

Is a rootkit able to circumvent Kaspersky?
Sure it is.
If it’s a real pro rootkit it will certainly circumvent all your PC security.

I don’t believe Avira has less capabilities than, let’s say KAV or NOD 32, to escape this danger.
That simply would be a lie, opinion based on preferences, if you know what I mean…

+1
I think you’ll always find a reason for concern with every security product. However, as stated before, with AntiVir you can be sure that any known issue will be fixed in no time (and there aren’t that many that I know of. Following the progression AVIRA’s made, I really think it’s become the best AV you can get at the moment. It has never let me down (afaik) and I feel most secure when using CFP and AntiVir.
grampa.

(:CLP)

Here are my Rankings
1)Kaspersky
2)Bitdefender
3)Nod32 (:KWL)
4 G-DATA - It is actually the best if only it is not the ultimate resource hog (2 AV scanners at the same time)

Place your BETS Ladies & Gentleman. May the best AV win!!!

errr, i guess you’re too late ;D but i vote for CAVS. if only AVira has HIPS then it would be different. we should have another poll once CAVS 3 comes out

https://forums.comodo.com/anti_virusmalware_products/best_anti_virus-t11562.0.html

even if you’re an extreme kaspersky fan, sorry, i can’t help.

It’s avira age now (I hope so!)

cheers…

i don’t know about kaspersky. avira is a great choice for me so far, i like the “extended threat” option & rootkit scan. but the personal edition seems a lil bit “limited”. i can’t scan another comp on my network.
luckily i still have ST’s clam AV to do the scanning job. but i want a more powerful AV like avira to do that.

so, how big is your network? is it not possible to do distributed installs?

please remember, clam av’s detection rate is not there yet…some miles to go, to be earnest…

;D i use the term “network” coz the warning said "can’t do network scanning…. it’s just 1 server & 3 user (including my laptop comp). and my laptop (the one with avira) is the only comp that connects to internet (and no single removable disk is allowed to touch my comps, except for the laptop). so all of the risks are coming from my comp.
and since there’s no internet connection, using AV to them would be useless, update problem, and i need my server to be fast. an AV will slow it down.

yeah, i need a more powerful AV than Clam.

ehm, i guess we’re a lil bit of topic now ;D

Actually I recently bought AVIRA Premium. I own a computer repair shop, So I get a lot of customers complaining their computers have a virus. I own 4 different antivirus, (:CLP)Kaspersky, AVIRA PREMIUM, Bitdefender 2008, & NOD32 now!!!. I have these 4 since no antivirus can catch all mallware. Need it for my business anyway. (:HUG)

ow, i forgot to mention DRweb CureIt. it’s a good scanner. it catch some adware and another nasties on my “system volume information” that even Avira-antivir, spywareterminator+clamAV, & prevXfree couldn’t.
so you might wanna add DrWebCureIt to your repairment tools.

I would like to know which free anti-virus software the security experts would recommend. I am running Windows XP Sp2 with intel pentium D 2.80GHz 2.0GB ram. I have CFP v3 as well as BOClean, PCtools Spyware Doctor 5.5, Spyware Terminator 2.1.0.302 with Winclam 1.1.0.16 turned on and AVG 7.5.516. These are my realtime protections, I also have installed Advanced Windowscare V2 which I run on-demand for cleanups and system tunning. I don’t have any problems with this combination running together outside of my PC running a bit and I mean a bit slugish. I don’t have a ram issue because I allways have between 1.28 & 1.42 GB available depending on what I’m doing on my PC. Am I on over-kill with the number of security processes I have running? And is AVG the way to go? (R)

Wow man. You don’t need that much realtime anti-malware software. Don’t be a second Ganda (:WIN) (:LGH)
Use Spyware Doctor only on demand, same goes with Spyware Terminator. I would personaly use CFP and BoClean as my realtime protection and other only on demand (:AGL)

That is certainly a hell of a lot of realtime protection you have going on there,I can hear them all battling for ownership of your files from here (:TNG).

The best free AV is undoubtedly Avira AntiVir (at present),it continuously comes out on top during various comparison tests.It has an excellent detection rate,on a par with the very best ‘paid for’ utils and uses few system resources.Alongside BOclean and Comodo Firewall,with defence+ enabled,that should really be enough realtime monitoring.Unless you’re visiting risky sites or downloading warez that setup will serve you well especially if you switch to a safer browser such as Firefox (with Noscript add on) or Opera.

It’s worth having a couple of ‘on demand’ scanners for a second opinion on files downloaded.If you’re feeling really paranoid then virtualisation such as Returnil or sandboxing like sandboxIE will provide an additional layer of security.If you’re really,really paranoid then running the vmware browser appliance on a system protected by Returnil should make infection virtually impossible,beware though that level of paranoia leads to drinking loads of ■■■■. :■■■■

Your pc must crawl. I never saw somebody who is so paranoid. I have Comodo 3.0 and NOD32 3.0 in real time of course. I run a spyware scan once a week with SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot.

;D
(:WAV) hi donnyd
don’t listen to these humans ;D . i think we should only use one realtime AV,AS & firewall but you can add some additional on demand scanners as much as you like (don’t forget to update them :smiley: ).
my security softwares :
AV : Antivir free
AS :BOClean
Firewall : CFP3

additional :
prevXfree scanner
drwebcureit
CMF

Wow dude.

From what you have all you need is Spyware Doctor as real time, as well as AVG or Avira (you said free antivirus) for realtime, and a firewall of your choice. Everything else can be shut off.

PLEASE remove any antivirus program your not using.

Thanks for the info I really do appreciate it. I did think I was going a little over-board on real time protection but wanted some input. I’ve installed avast yesterday for HA HA’s and it did pickup 2 so called viruses which AVG and PCTOOLS antivirus did not pickup. I think I’m going to install avair and then when comodo releases V3 of it’s antvirus I will go with it. Forgot to mention I also have comodo verification engine running.

Again thanks :BNC (:CLP)