Are we going to release v3 next tuesday 20th Nov or not? [Closed]

I agree. I still don’t understand Melih’s motive for starting this thread the way he did and why we are even having this discussion. I assume this append will also go unanswered.

Al (why the sudden hurry?) Adric

This thread has been so useful in giving us an insight about what people think about launch dates and their reasons.

Melih

Good to hear. Then I guess there’s nothing stopping you from having a RC2 release ;D

Al

actually nothing stopping doing RC2 or the final release :slight_smile:

Melih

Well, according to the poll, the bigger majority of the users say no. Why do you keep bringing up releasing it as final product.?

Al

cos if we don’t release it on Tuesday, then our dev guys will have nothing to do for the current version and they have to start developing ver 3.1…

so shall we sit on v3 and not release it and wait for 3.1 do the same poll and people say no and sit on it and work on v3.2 and so on :slight_smile:

As I said, this gave us a good understanding about the user psychology about the way they see launch dates. sometimes the reluctance can come from demanding a “perfect” product (which doesn’t exist in real world) cos they are worried that if launched it could be a long time before an update is due etc (this was a good observation of a fellow moderator which i share). Again, as I said before this threat has given us a good insight about how our users think.

Also pls note the heading we specially picked. It is worded about if comodo is going to launch it or not, not that if we should or not. Because we wanted to capture that specific sentiment. As you will appreciate we trust our dev guys to make the right decisions and we know that they will be continually updating the product.

I hope this explains why I am still talking about launching on 20th Nov.

thanks
Melih

If the dev guys are that confident and don’t have anything else to fix, then go for it.

I reported various bugs in the last V3 beta.The RC1 still contained most of these bugs. It is a bit frustrating to test a product where you feel like a broken record that keeps repeating itself. I know
that the devs can’t reply to every Tom, D*ck and Harry who thinks he has a problem, but it would be
nice if someone took the time to edit the BUGLISTs that were posted by gibran indicating the status
behind each reported incident like: fixed, in progress, cannot be recreated, and who knows what other reasons developers can come up with.

Al (getting tired of seeing the same bugs) Adric

I do agree with you that a better visibility wouldn’t hurt. Let me see what we can do about that.
Pls PM me the bug you had so that though.
thanks
Melih

I’m not sure what you meant since the last part of your message was garbled., so I will post pointers to the incidents that I had in the previous beta that are still in RC1.

Al

https://forums.comodo.com/32_bit_bug_reports/cpf_3011246_rc1_32bit_bug_reports-t12487.0.html;msg100746#msg100746

https://forums.comodo.com/32_bit_bug_reports/cpf_3011246_rc1_32bit_bug_reports-t12487.0.html;msg100754#msg100754

https://forums.comodo.com/32_bit_bug_reports/cpf_3011246_rc1_32bit_bug_reports-t12487.0.html;msg100756#msg100756

https://forums.comodo.com/32_bit_bug_reports/cpf_3011246_rc1_32bit_bug_reports-t12487.0.html;msg100764#msg100764

The best reason I can see for a RC is More than 50% of your users think it is not ready for release.

And all respect to your Devs I am sure they are the best, especially Egemen, but there are too many features to code and verify. Where as, your users will verify quickly, as most have specific issues in mind and are going to test them first thing. You should get a response as to wether your RC is ready for release rapidly. I noticed a lot(not all) of your trusted Mods. voted no as to weather you were going to release on tuesday

And your response to me

Now, if you don´t release one more RC I might take personally. LOL (:TNG)

OD

with visibility i meant from our side…

Well, let us continue to protect you… just sit back and relax… you are in good hands with us :slight_smile:

Melih

I’m not asking for perfect, just that the currently known universal issues(reported UI crashes and keylogger LowLevel and DX leaks) be fixed. I’m not waiting to know that Matt and Izzy are no longer getting blue screens or that Tai is experiencing high CPU usage with Spyware Doctor on his machine, just the generally known ones. :smiley:

The reason I voted no for vista because CPF3 has crashed on my Vista computer no warnings no alerts just gone.
Dennis

This is a very good point, I think hardly anyone expects perfection, though all hope for all severe bugs to be solved. Let’s hope that the 20th of November will keep up to that. :slight_smile:

/LA

I noticed people are starting to come to the comodo forums and say it sucks or it is nothing compared to online armor. Melih are you sure you should make a final and not another RC?

I really hope you fixed the issues online armor users have with comodo such as startup speed(terminal services) and better alerts which i do not see as an issue as it is always the same? lol.

Egemen should read the wilders forums because that is where the problems of comodo are which i hope will be stopped. Online armor mostly took comodo 2.4 users because they are the best freeware firewalls so i hope cpf 3 will regain them. The gui of online armor is not as good or organized as cpf 3 so that is not an issue. The speed could be better for cpf 3. Stopping power should be amazing but i just hope alerts can be reduced somehow, i noticed online armor has barely an amount of popups yet can gain 100% of matousec.

And Melih you did not answer my other post. Did Egemen tell you if he fixed all 18+ pages of bugs (:NRD).

Here are some problems from wilders:

Will you please stop spamming this forum with this bloated slow bugfest.
...Comodo 3 is super slow... especially if you delete terminal service... then it can take up to 10 minutes to be ready... Online Armor actually looks best, especially the ssdt recycle (kill protection) is cool, never seen before, I assume the best kill protection on the market.
I do think 3.0 is uneccessarily complex-even if they have the knowledge,should imagine a lot of people just wont have the patience to fiddle around,unless they regard it as a hobby.

For me this has been by far the worst for popups-virtually unusable-17 to install an app. and over 50(I stopped counting) to uninstall.

Yes- I was on the default settings

Which setting and what safelist entry? What is a safelist for that matter?

Some of the other members seem to echo my sentiments with regard to the increase in complexity in the move from version 2.4 to version 3. I believe that all but the most savvy users will become confused and make serious configuration errors that will erode or even evade the potential security of Comodo 3.0. I believe it will be nowhere near as widely accepted as 2.4.

Have to say that this is a fabulous product - really impressed with it. Love the firewall. I've been using Comodo for a long time now and using OA makes me realise how much Comodo slows my machine. It 'feels' much lighter with OA. Informative firewall with some nice touches (I like the resolve address feature - so simple). Not too complicated to set up and use, very informative notifications and generally very impressed.
Hi daddymo3, OA FW Runs better on my Pc than Comodo, Plus the support is far superior.Just try it, you won't be disappointed. Badcompany.
Mike,

The free version really is a lot of goodies for free. When you set all your treath gate aps (limewire, outlook, webbrowser, messenger, etc) to run safer (with reduced rights), you reallly have a low chance of getting any malware with the easy to use and powerfull FW + HIPS combo.

I would not offer this for free, it is way ahead of Comodo in terms of user friendliness, it is a really user friendly anti executable.

You shoudl offer a paid light version with one extra option (besided warn me when a unknown program starts up, the option to run with limited rights).

Regards Kees

The free version of OA has the same leaktest protection as the paid version, and are both BETTER than Comodo (we fixed the test we fail) especially on "out of the box" (default configuration). There are also a couple of more leaky methods we cover that Comodo don't.

OA Free will not have any mail protection when it’s formally released. The full comparison is available at our site (I updated it yesterday evening).

If you do have probs with OA Free and threatfire let me know, please and we will resolve them as quickly as we can.

Mike

Previous free versions did let you import and export, not a deal breaker of course. My previous version was 2.1.0.16. I really love this firewall compared to the highly forgetful Comodo!!
Well, let's look at the ways that OA accesses the internet, and why:
  1. Updates - To check for updates, and to download them.
  2. Trusted DNS - to verify that for banking sites your local DNS resolution matches another trusted DNS server.
  3. Lookup of addresses on the firewall status screen.
  4. Sharing info with database about programs you trust

All of these - aside from (3) and (4) are not enabled in OA - so if it wasn’t these, then I am going to shoot for a bug in Comodo with process identification.

Specifically, I think that Comodo is misidentifying OA due to OA’s injecting of DLLs into other processes a

In my profession I have to deal with release dates all the time. When you don’t make it in time it can dammage your company, but when you make it and the product is not right it can dammage your company even more. In my opinion Comodo has no need to set release dates. They should test their products through and through, and just release them when they are ready :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

+1

:slight_smile:

LA

Ooohhh Pleeeeease … save the marketing fluff for your website. I can only speak for myself, but comments like this do not sit well with me. Even with the smiley.

I have taken the time to help Comodo test V3 because it is my contribution to Comodo for making the product freely available and because I think it has good potential. In so doing, I would expect to see direct answers to direct questions that have been asked here in what I call a typical ‘teaser’ thread. I hope you have gained enough insight now to get on with business. I am finished contributing to this discussion.

You are right though, it’s time to relax. I see no need for further testing here.

Here’s an interesting article in relation to some of the points being discussed in this thread.
Mozilla Won’t Fix 80% of Firefox 3.0’s Bugs - New York Times?

Ciao, Al

There is no need to post such harsh words. Using assertiveness you can really share your point and let other shape their opinions.

As things stand out Comodo is still providing valuable security products for free. IMHO Markenting wise this is still a rare habit. Most companies spend their revenues only in building new assets or in advertising without any real gain for the end users.

This is another marketing term but I guess that this thread cannot be considered a teaser. V3 release shedule is still about 25 days long and registered member can join the test. Bugs will be fixed regardless if the next version will be marked as final or not as long as development is going on .

V2 had some major bugs but now is one of the most secure firewall available.

Many members will continue to test V3 as well, final or not, so if you give up we cannot force you to go on.
Eventually V3 will meet again your expectations. We’ll be here to welcome you back.

Anyway bugs are not born equal, there will always be non critical bugs or small glitches that will have to be fixed later.
The same reason apply to hardly reproducible bugs.

As there will be quite constant updates do we really have to worry about what version can be considered final or not?

Anyone can consider a version the way he wants or can install another software if that one doesn’t suit his needs.

I would vote No,
as I am sure even the previous bugs are fixed, there will be some minor bugs come up again.