Stop using SecureDNS

On the Secure DNS product site it says:

Q. How do I stop using Comodo Secure DNS?
A. Comodo Secure DNS can be removed from your system by simply changing your DNS server settings back to their original settings.

That’s great. Can someone explain how/where I change my DNS server settings back? Yes, I’m blond :stuck_out_tongue:

In the set-up I chose to use Secure DNS thinking I could easily just change it back if I didn’t like it but it turns out it’s not that easy. Secure DNS blocks too many sites I need for work. shrug pretty sure they’re safe.

Cheers,

Zoe

can you tell me what sites it blocks? I have only encountered one site that was blocked by accident and they fixed it.

It’s easy.

mug

Fantastic, thanks! That was easy with those instructions, I’ll be able to switch now :slight_smile:

Do the changes apply immediately or would I need to reboot?

I would reboot;
or
Start > Run > cmd
enter the following commands
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Hope this helps!

Regards
Jacob

Did it work? :slight_smile:

… and run CCLEANER as well

(:KWL) (:KWL) (:KWL)

I don’t see a particular need to use ccleaner is this situation.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Will do it.

and in the end if you want to confirm the new dns service just do

ipconfig /all

I manage 62 2G and 3G Base Stations here and I have a Internet Cafe that’s why I know CCLEANER helps.

Then tell-me where it helps.

I would love to know this since ccleaner don’t flush the dns query’s data remaining on the system.

P.S: Cleaning the cache don’t help changing dns, I can still change my dns without purging it’s cache.

FLUSH DNS
IPCONFIG/RELEASE/RENEW

that will not work if your ISP encounters trouble.
CCLEANER can clean your DNS Catch. flush is different than cleaning.

(:WAV) (:WAV) (:WAV)

In fact when you Flush your dns you are cleaning your cache.

/flushdns : Flushes and resets the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as any other entries that have been added dynamically.

“That will not work of your ISP encounters trouble.”
When I declare that my dns ip’s will be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx this will only be used when I need to resolve and name, nothing more nothing less.
If the ISP encounters trouble the reply will be not answered. If I use the ccleaner this will not help me in any way.

Is comodo logging and tracking all the websites you visit, or is there some sort of anonymity in the picture?

All DNS Services log how many hits/resolves/etc etc that the end user made using that dns service; It’s how they get the statistics and how they can resolve issues(if needed), etc

If only you had only one “etc” in there. 3 in total makes me scared ;D

• Switching back to normal DNS again, I can’t have another big brother in my life *

You could try another DNS service that Actually has a Privacy Policy, and read it/glance at it :wink: , and decide which one to try for yourself (if any); I also wonder about privacy/security issues sometimes of various services I use online such as: what information is logged, for how long, why, who is it shared with, for what reasons, how is this information protected, terms of use, will you be alerted of government/law enforcement/intelligence/business requests for your information, what are the rules for handing over such information, etc. :slight_smile:

Norton DNS

http://nortondns.com/privacy.html

Their Support Forum is mixed in with Other Norton Products and can be found here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/bd-p/other

Their Support E-mail Address is:

nortondns@symantec.com

DynDNS

OpenDNS

https://store.opendns.com/get/basic/

Though Comodo does not have a Privacy Policy for their DNS Service (but I could be wrong), that I know of (sadly, even after all of this time & after requests), they do have a partial Privacy Policy for their website. :slight_smile:

Good luck,
-John Jr :slight_smile:

Comodo DNS is not more big brother than your ISP. Both resolve domain names into ip adresses and of course will inevitably know which domains you try to connect to. If you want more confidentiality, use a proxy though it can also keeps logs of your surf.

I was going to say the same thing :smiley:

More Confeidentiality? … there is no such thing :smiley:
100% Privacy/Security is impossible to reach…

Privacy is not about hiding yourself, that is almost impossible, not even with Tor can you hide yourself. The issue with privacy nowadays is WHO will posess your private data and who will not.

Duplicating the same personal data across two different networks is stupidity in my opinion. Both my ISP and comodo now posess the same data. I can lower that damage control by 50% by limiting it to the isp only.

On the other hand, comodo works for trust online, they are very likely to be trustworthy. But I shall give a fair warning to the employees of the company, don’t get too much into personal debates with private users on this forum. You can ruin the trust that way. Once the contact has been made, that trust will be ruined eventually. Stay neutral, don’t use smileys in your posts, choose your words wisely.

If you use Comodo secure DNS you use their servers and if you use your isp providers that’s their servers you use. So I can’t see how you could be on two different networks using secure DNS.

Moderators are no Comodo staff. They are volonteers, unpaid people trying to help others and make Comodo forums rules be respected. They are free to have their own opinions.