Stop using SecureDNS

If you use a traceroute utility you will see that you are on several networks.

The Secure DNS servers of comodo replies the ip address, your browsers then reflects back that address and the isp fetches it. The result is that both comodo and the isp have your private data.

A way to avvoid this is to use vpn.

Actually, the exchange is between your PC and DNS server of whichever service you use. If you choose to use Comodo, then the exchange is between your PC and their DNS servers. Your ISP is not involved.

The ip address passes from Comodo → ISP → Your computer and then from your computer → ISP → fetch webpage

The ISP is very much involved.

1: Your computer
2: Your router
3: Your isp
4: Any middle chains to reach comodo server
5: Comodo
6: IP Address sent back through middle chains
7: IP Address passes your ISP
8: IP Address reaches your computer again
9: IP Address is stored in the DNS buffer and the browser can now use it
10: Browser connects to website

The returned IP address passes your ISP 2 times.

However, you are right that the connection is between your computer and comodo, but OFCOURSE there are middle chains, you can’t get away from them.

When your browser use the returned ip address and request a connection from a webserver with an ip address. Your isp may or may not log that connection request. It’s not that they log everything, but they might log the connection request.

If you want to minimize the harm to this I recommend setting up the dns time to live in the registry, so that your dns doesnt flush every so often. That way you dont need to request dns addresses too often. But it might be a security risk to do so. Any dns stored locally can be subject to malware infection.

Personally, I would use vpn with encryption and then use comodo dns servers. That gives the best privacy you can get. Comodo will not know who is making the requests, your isp will not know who is making the request as the data is encrypted. The only one who will know are the owners of the vpn, and most vpn services doesnt log anything, so you are safe in all areas.

But the major benefit is that you get rid of all malware sites, that is the main reason we use comodo dns servers by the way.

If you don’t want to use comodo dns you could also run your web browser in sandbox, that way malware cannot harm your computer. It has the exact same effect.

You’re talking about two entirely different things. When your computer attempts to resolve an address, it sends the query to which ever DNS sever it’s configured for. The DNS server responds directly to your PC. However, all traffic has to reach the Internet, which invariably means passing through the gateway your ISP provides. if the traffic is encrypted there’s not a lot for the ISP to see.

With regard to what ISPs log, you will find most log everything to which they have access. However, unless the ISP is actively monitoring/logging DNS traffic passing through their network, they will have little, if any information about the queries you generate against a third-party DNS. Also, using a third-party DNS service precludes logging of DNS queries against your ISP DNS servers.

From another point of view, when using a third-party DNS service, particularly one where registration is unnecessary, consider what information is captured. It’s likely that will be something like, IP address, browser used, the domain requested and result. As there’s no personal information to tie this with, it’s of limited use. Conversely, your ISP will know a great deal more.

Using a publicly available VPN is no guarantee of anonymity or privacy, as most providers can and in quite a few cases, do log traffic that passes through their services. Moreover, unless you’ve configured your system appropriately, there is a strong likelihood of DNS leakage, which would still allow the ISP to see the query.

Increasing the TTL on DNS entries can cause negative caching, which is undesirable and not something to be recommended.

I’m not saying it is a good idea to increase the ttl of your dns’s, im merely reflecting options. You can disable negative catching too, or lower the time, it is set to 15 minutes by default.

I agree, you cant get full anonymity, my point was simply that increases your privacy.

First up sorry to everyone on this topic for this !ot! post.
Hi FireBuggy. Now please don’t take offence but this has got the better of me, and I just have to ask.
Now I am not a big fan or user of smileys myself, but used in the right manner what is wrong with them?
Talking person to person you get to see emotions, body language and hear tones to decipher some meaning towards the conversation. Online you miss all this and this is were a smiley can help with communications, and even stop misunderstandings. Over use can be silly but used correctly can be very beneficial to all parties, whether they be Staff, Mods or Members. Kind regards and very sorry for being Off Topic.

!ot!

I agree with the Captain. :smiley:

I probably use Smileys more than any person online or on the Comodo Forum(s) now-a-days, to better help others make sense of what I am trying to say and/or the tone/mood in which I am using/in and/or to keep the mood positive; since we are communicating in text only and lacking normal real world communication options. :wink:

Anyway, good luck OP. :slight_smile:

I have seen people on this forum with an avatar that says “Malware group” or something similar, to me it looked very much like the employees of comodo was directly involved in this forum.

When an employee directly engages in a debate with people who use their security solutions, you get a closer relationship to that person, eventually that person will not want to use their solutions anymore, the person just got too close to him. It’s really that simple, that was my advice. :wink:

If you use smileys ON TOP of that, you damage trust even more, professionals do not need to smile, it is absolutely not neccesary for running a business well. Smileys do more harm than good.

But to anyone else who is not an employee, smile all you want 88)

!ot!

Thank you for sharing your opinion, though I still do not understand it completely, English can be confusing sometimes. :wink:

Your last line/sentence and your last use of a smiley ( 88) ), show(s) that you possibly have some comedic talent; or as some of my brothers would say “You’re funny!” Hidden & Special/Unique Meaning(s) :smiley: ; right back at you English Expression With Special/Unique Meaning. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :a0

Good luck. :wink:

To FireBuggy. !ot! Most of us on the Forum are Members, and the staff is easily recognized by their Official Comodo Staff Avatars. Hope this helps in working out who is Staff and who is not. Kind regards.

Hello (:LOV)

Actually I will NOT recommend COMODO DNS… Why? Simply because it doesn’t make your connection fast! I tested it on a WiMAX - Direct connections and WiMAX - WiFi Connections using a massive 300Mbps Dual Band Tx & Rx Power! It’s better to use your ISP’s default DNS or OBTAIN AUTOMATICALLY.

(:KWL) (:KWL) (:KWL)

I too find it not better than my ISP.

It has security features but it would be good if speed & security both are good.

Hope the new version or the release version (New DNS is still Beta) is improved, better, excellent, etc.