COMODO Backup - Portable (and bootable?) version

Hi

Would love to see a portable version of COMODO backup.

Why you might ask? Well the simple answer lies in the basic idea and purpose behind backup generally!

Backup IS a (or perhaps “THE”) security and prevention against data loss.
Data loss is what we all fear, and it can happen in numeral ways, like user error (nr 1 cause probably), disk or media physical failure, data corruption, system instability, virus and other malicious software, hacking and threats (failure of firewall :slight_smile: ) etc.

So Backup and Data loss has a special kind of relationship.
The HEALTHY relationship between them is best descibed as backup supresses and conquers data loss.
The harmful UNHEALTHY relationship is best described as where data loss obstucts and blocks backup.
:slight_smile:

Well you might still ask, what can a Portable version do for backup and against data loss where the current install version can not do?

You see, when a Operating System or its hardware is basically on its knees, and you don’t have the resources or the luxury of time, physical access, software rights etc to install a backup software or that the backup software is corrupted (as data loss might do to a system described earlier above). Then you might want a portable version lying inside a external harddrive ready to be used at anytime anywhere.
In that sense, the external harddrive/media has the software to backup the data with, with some simple clicks or perhaps one click with a predefined cbu file. It is simple, simple means less user error and less backup failure risk!

[i]About that, just don’t underestimate the power of “simple” (UI and workflow) and the threat of what that poisonous “confusion” can do to your users, that a number of application developer today put in their new shiny cute good looking confusing apps. Hard for me to say but Comodo has taken some steps towards that, just some few luckily and at the moment not alarming in my opinion.
You can develop a nice good looking shiny simple application :slight_smile:

And remember COMODO team, if its confusing, it is NOT trusted[/i]

All in all, this would be a nice tool to use against data loss and help our beloved Backup to supress and conquer the evil data loss in their special relationship.

Well hope that answers your question about “why” having a portable version of COMODO backup helps and why I and perhaps you love the idea behind it.

In addition to this portable wish, having a bootable OS inside the external harddrive would make COMODO THE number 1 choice over cloneZilla and norton GHOST like backups.
So even when the OS is totally damaged you can still access the data in the drives. That is also without opening the computer physically and pull out the right parts safely, that with user error, can do data loss instead.
Do I need I say that this tool would greatly help Backup in his/her relationshiop against data loss or have you gotten that picture yet? :slight_smile:

No install, no fuss, it just works, it’s simple and we trust it.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it :wink:

The portability is already there.
Just copy all the files in the installation dir and in the common dir (C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMMON) in the same directory.
It might not have all the functionality, but backing up and restoring (unused) files, directories and partitions will work fine.

Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you Emanuel for your answer, nice to see that there is a solution and that it works.

But I have to say to your reply, is this a “simple” or a “confusing” solution for your regular non computer scientists users?

I would go for not simple! If you missed that part about simple vs confusing, let me explain

About that, just don't underestimate the power of "simple" (UI and workflow) and the threat of what that poisonous "confusion" can do to your users, that a number of application developer today put in their new shiny cute good looking confusing apps. Hard for me to say but Comodo has taken some steps towards that, just some few luckily and at the moment not alarming in my opinion. You can develop a nice good looking shiny [b]simple[/b] application

And remember COMODO team, if its confusing, it is NOT trusted

In short, eventhough you say that this copy files here and there and cook a own solution is good, it feels confusing, with room for mistakes and that makes me a bit skeptical.

I’m putting time and effort in this feedback only because you guys and gals contribute alot to us. Hope it sparkles some thoughts for the future.

Again, thanks for the tip Emanuel. I’m gonna try it.

We definitely need a way to easily create a bootable flash drive. These days many laptops no longer come with CD/DVD units, it’s all about flash drives.
See this topic too: https://forums.comodo.com/wishlist-cb/feature-request-create-bootable-rescue-media-as-iso-file-t101468.0.html